What is a Deaf interpreter?

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
A Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) is an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing and has been certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. A Certified Deaf Interpreter may be needed when the communication mode of a deaf consumer is so unique that it cannot be adequately assessed or accessed by interpreters who are hearing. Some such situations may involve individuals whom:

• use idiosyncratic non-standard signs or gestures such as those commonly referred to as “home signs” which are unique to a family
  • use a foreign sign language
    are deaf-blind or deaf with limited vision
  • use signs particular to a given region, ethnic or age group
    have minimal or limited language skills
  • have characteristics reflective of Deaf Culture and not familiar to hearing interpreters
  • Legal or mental health situations may also require a Deaf interpreter whose first language fluency allows for more accurate interpretation

I would pursue to be a CDI or deaf interpreator if there's available here in colorful Colorado

i currently am studying to be a Certifed Deaf interpeter, I also have the info u need PDP if u want it, go to my profile in the user name u ll see my AIM sn best time to reach me is at night as i ll be on at nights mostly so, i go to honolulu for my written test this june and will be there for 2 days then ofc will get my result end of the month takes 3 to 4 weeks for result to return. CDI is a good way to communicate, i have heard of other poeple in other forums saying that CDI dummy down the deafs needs when its not the case it gets thru the barriers when its nessacary, if they can not use the hearing interpeter due to a barrier of foriegn langague OR bascially using home gestation for methods of communications, we have a strong need here in hawaii so im always on call for this, i have been called out to do these kinds of interpeting, belive me its not easy but its rewarding when an understanding can be achived, AND the glimmer in thier eyes saying all it can be said that they finally found someone that understands the aspect of the questions or conveying any informations! im glad there is such a postion for the deaf to be able to help amongest the community! :)

I'm an interprerter too

An interpreter is a person who is there to serve the deaf, and to let them know whats going on.
ADA law requires that when a deaf person goes to the doctor,densit ect.
they have to porvide them with an interperter.
Margie
Director of Communation Services
OCDAC

Margie, you are interpreter and Java is herself deaf and CDI...

Hope you see different from CDI and terp....

Do they follow same things i.e. code of ethics.... Also I heard there are Deafblind or tacticle terps...

Margie,

I don't want to sound mean but are you absolutely positive that you are a professional interpreter and a Director of Communication Services for an actual agency? Some of your statements just don't jive with your position. I'm sorry but I have the feeling that you may not be what you say you are.

racheleggert said:
Do they follow same things i.e. code of ethics.... Also I heard there are Deafblind or tacticle terps...

Yes, all terps, Deaf and hearing, must follow the same Code of Ethics. CDIs and hearing terps are equal professionals.

thank you reba for answering what i was about to say :) yes all code of ethics under the R I D and the N A D must be adhered to, or lose your licence.

javapride said:
i currently am studying to be a Certifed Deaf interpeter, I also have the info u need PDP if u want it, go to my profile in the user name u ll see my AIM sn best time to reach me is at night as i ll be on at nights mostly so, i go to honolulu for my written test this june and will be there for 2 days then ofc will get my result end of the month takes 3 to 4 weeks for result to return. CDI is a good way to communicate, i have heard of other poeple in other forums saying that CDI dummy down the deafs needs when its not the case it gets thru the barriers when its nessacary, if they can not use the hearing interpeter due to a barrier of foriegn langague OR bascially using home gestation for methods of communications, we have a strong need here in hawaii so im always on call for this, i have been called out to do these kinds of interpeting, belive me its not easy but its rewarding when an understanding can be achived, AND the glimmer in thier eyes saying all it can be said that they finally found someone that understands the aspect of the questions or conveying any informations! im glad there is such a postion for the deaf to be able to help amongest the community! :)
UPDATE test was postponed to Dec, So its a deffy thing :)

Can't wait! :) heh i actually do love doing this job and it doesn't mean im living in the hearing world im giving back to the community what i took yrs ago ( long story) So this is my way of the rewarding experince....

Margie i took the liberity of checking out several questions in regards to your so called OCDAC and there is no such thing is that the only agency that is well known is the GLAD and unforunetly ur avdveristing in false propganda and i think u and neusmith need to knock it off with the falsifcations. I have asked sevreral deaf community ledgends in the souther california, and they all say you have bad morales to do this sort of thing online. please do not do this. cuz this will lead to a massive lawsuit filled by people who were led to belive this is a postion that you are doing. and belive me margie. its uncalled for. and unprofessional and an embarrassment to the deaf community and interpeter's community as well. thank you. Please cease your interpeter knowldge, and yes now that laws have passed we have to be certified, for a very good reason. and U can set your own pricing standard doesnt always have to be 100 bucks i too set my price as well. and when im working with goverment agencies, they set the price for my own price its this only aspect i look at the hours and the skills. So like i said please stop with this proganda, its gonna make alot of deaf communtiy poeple angry.

*Confused*

I'm a bit confused here, how can a Deaf person become an interpreter if they can not hear?....

go to the www.rid.org they have more info about that...

overall u have to have a 80db loss or a profoundly deaf loss, and you have to have a 16 hour training with a mentor and then take the test, the most job the CDI would do is be a mediator between a deaf and a hearing interpeter, or for my cases, Deaf on Deaf sometimes. due to langague barrier. lemme pull up the right site for you to look at. and you'll get a better idea of what the job means and does.

CDI Defined
The Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) is an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing. In addition to proficient communication skill and general interpreter training, the CDI has specialized training and/or experience in the use of gesture, mime, props, drawings and other tools to enhance communication. The CDI has knowledge and understanding of deafness, the Deaf community, and Deaf culture. The CDI possesses native or near-native fluency in American Sign Language

here's the link : http://www.rid.org/cdip.html

^Angel^ said:
I'm a bit confused here, how can a Deaf person become an interpreter if they can not hear?....

Sure, let me input the new upgrade memory chip to your memory system...Deaf Interpreter are usually labelled as Certified Deaf Interpreter as it is CDI...many and many deaf person are unable to understand the conception and vision on what sign language interpreter are translating/interpreting from hearing's speaking. So CDI's responsbile is to translate into basic sign language more of homemade/gesture sign language to make deaf person understand clearly from what they are saying...how it works....when a hearing person speaks...the sign language interpreter do interpreting...then CDI citate from what sign language interpreter says into summary and more easy for them to understand...get my point? Hope ya do, smile

Back