What is a best choice ?

GrendelQ, I'll be your kid's tutor in academic subjects...if you want her to start on AP level/college subjects in middle school, you know where to find me (if I'm still in Cambridge by the time your kid reach puberty) :) :)

I've been pretty much mainstreamed for my whole life. I started out with this all-deaf class within a regular public school in Texas. There were about 5-10 of us students in the deaf class pre-K and first grade...and eventually, I had a gradual transition to mainstream in first grade. Then to full mainstream in 3rd grade. I did fine mostly. It's all about getting the accommodations you need and working with teachers to make sure you understand the materials...BE YOUR OWN SELF-ADVOCATE!!! TEACH YOUR KIDS TO BE VERY SELF-ADVOCATING...and of course...your study habits and how fast you can pick up materials. I suggest to anyone that they should self-study class subjects ahead of time when they can (within few months range)....especially for math and science subjects. That is how I was able to do my classes well in middle and high school...and of course...everybody in my college pretty much do the same as well.

I understand there is/was a deaf school in Milton which may not close/easy for you in Mississauga.

Why did you say "Was" in this sentence? It sounds like you kind of put down one of the finest schools for the Deaf in Canada, EC Drury School for the Deaf in Milton. This school is very much alive and provides great bi/bi approach to Deaf and hard of hearing students. They got great teachers and fine principals.

In addition, Mississauga is NOT far from Milton. It is approximately 30 minutes drive long.

It depends on what state are you living in? Just be sure to see any teachers can sign very well and see kids if they can communciate to each other rather than isolate themselve then something is missing in the classroom. communication is the key that way kid can learn in school.

Depends on the resources tailored for your kid's needs and if there's the good academic stuff. Social life is very important to young kids so maybe a Deaf school would be better suited, but just make sure quality education is there as well as the safety in the dorms unless you plan on day studentin' your kid.

No matter what school it is, make sure your kid read a lot of books and have good problem solving skills. I practically grew up on books, and to me, it didn't matter where I went to. A lot of things I learned from were from books.

I've been pretty much mainstreamed for my whole life. I started out with this all-deaf class within a regular public school in Texas. There were about 5-10 of us students in the deaf class pre-K and first grade...and eventually, I had a gradual transition to mainstream in first grade. Then to full mainstream in 3rd grade. I did fine mostly. It's all about getting the accommodations you need and working with teachers to make sure you understand the materials...BE YOUR OWN SELF-ADVOCATE!!! TEACH YOUR KIDS TO BE VERY SELF-ADVOCATING.
Shelia, OTOH, you did have a good base for mainstreaming. I think most of us are saying that it's best to start out in the deaf ed system, (so they get the base for mainstreaming) and then be child centered as to placement.
There are just so many variables that lead to sucess in the mainstream. Make sense? Not to mention, that it does seem beyond common for kids to do well initially, and then start struggling around fourth grade. Did you know that the reason why the oral schools still had a very viable advanced grade program until recently was NOT b/c kids took so long to get good so they could function in the mainstream, but b/c kids hit the fourth grade ceiling and then started to really struggle.
The mainstream is all well and good for those kids who just need minimal accomondations, BUT again......Shelia, you were smart enough to get into MIT from public school. That says something. You prolly would have done that well back even BEFORE 1974!

Deaf in Canada, EC Drury School for the Deaf in Milton. This school is very much alive and provides great bi/bi approach to Deaf and hard of hearing students. They got great teachers and fine principals.

In addition, Mississauga is NOT far from Milton. It is approximately 30 minutes drive long.
Is there any way you could talk with local mainstreamed students/ parents of mainstreamed students abt their experiance in the mainstream? That might give you a better idea of what the mainstream is like in your area.
Is your son going to be voice off? I know that public school Deaf programs are now serving kids who are more hh. Meaning they are very verbal, so a kid who only uses ASL may feel left out. You may find more ASL kids at Deaf School. Not to mention speech therapists who are really experianced in teaching dhh kids.
I totally would start off at the Deaf School. Yes, it's 30 mintues away....but I think it would be SO worth it!

I went to Drury for one year also I lived in Mississauga for few months.

I would say ECD is a suitable school because they have all the resources a deaf child needs. They also have good number of deaf students enrolled.

deaf school because there are some that focus on oral-only.
On the other hand, the number of oral deaf schools that aren't just preschool/kindergarten is VERY small. Not self contained programs.....but SCHOOLS.....and I think there's only one Oral School in Canada, Montreal Oral School.

Shelia, OTOH, you did have a good base for mainstreaming. I think most of us are saying that it's best to start out in the deaf ed system, (so they get the base for mainstreaming) and then be child centered as to placement.
There are just so many variables that lead to sucess in the mainstream. Make sense? Not to mention, that it does seem beyond common for kids to do well initially, and then start struggling around fourth grade. Did you know that the reason why the oral schools still had a very viable advanced grade program until recently was NOT b/c kids took so long to get good so they could function in the mainstream, but b/c kids hit the fourth grade ceiling and then started to really struggle.
The mainstream is all well and good for those kids who just need minimal accomondations, BUT again......Shelia, you were smart enough to get into MIT from public school. That says something. You prolly would have done that well back even BEFORE 1974!

It really depends on the students, and the quality of the available education. in NYC for me, the deaf schools are not that good, and there was little emphasis on reading or math, so my parents crossed it off from their options. I did very well in mainstream school, and can speak more coherently than any of the other kids since first grade.

I disagree with your bashing public schools, because while MIT accept 50/50 from Public and Private, and one can argue that since there are many more public than private students, it's needless to say that the majority of public school kids are not even up on the table for MIT, nor interested in applying.

There are more top public schools than private schools, at least regarding mathematics and other STEM related careers.

@OP, I cannot emphasize how important it is for your daughter/son to read, read, and read!! Get him/her addicted to knowledge and learning about life, the world, and such. While I primarily focus on math, my mind would not have developed the same way if I let the school regulate my reading level or reading hours. No joke, I read about 70 hours a week back then, :) It gives you a lot of perspective, and will help her with comprehension which becomes 2nd nature, otherwise it's an incomprehensible disgusting mush.

The short answer to this would be a deaf school that utilizes a bi-bi approach. Even for deaf children with less than a profound loss.

It really depends on the students, and the quality of the available education. in NYC for me, the deaf schools are not that good, and there was little emphasis on reading or math, so my parents crossed it off from their options. I did very well in mainstream school, and can speak more coherently than any of the other kids since first grade.

I disagree with your bashing public schools, because while MIT accept 50/50 from Public and Private, and one can argue that since there are many more public than private students, it's needless to say that the majority of public school kids are not even up on the table for MIT, nor interested in applying.

There are more top public schools than private schools, at least regarding mathematics and other STEM related careers.

@OP, I cannot emphasize how important it is for your daughter/son to read, read, and read!! Get him/her addicted to knowledge and learning about life, the world, and such. While I primarily focus on math, my mind would not have developed the same way if I let the school regulate my reading level or reading hours. No joke, I read about 70 hours a week back then, :) It gives you a lot of perspective, and will help her with comprehension which becomes 2nd nature, otherwise it's an incomprehensible disgusting mush.

Shush, OTH nowadays a lot of the Deaf Schools are made up of kids who weren't served well in the mainstream. Also a lot of the schools in NYC aren't very good. What I'm arguing for, is for dhh kids to spend a few years at a Deaf School or a good regional Dhh program to get a good solid foundation, and then test into the mainstream. I mean it is a fact that a neighborhood school won't be able to offer things beyond a smattering of ASL etc. I am not bashing public schools. I think they can be good....but too often...far too often kids fall through the cracks, and don't get proper services.

Shush, OTH nowadays a lot of the Deaf Schools are made up of kids who weren't served well in the mainstream. Also a lot of the schools in NYC aren't very good. What I'm arguing for, is for dhh kids to spend a few years at a Deaf School or a good regional Dhh program to get a good solid foundation, and then test into the mainstream. I mean it is a fact that a neighborhood school won't be able to offer things beyond a smattering of ASL etc. I am not bashing public schools. I think they can be good....but too often...far too often kids fall through the cracks, and don't get proper services.

I generally agree with you, there are 1500 schools in NYC, the majority are crap, and like you said, don't serve the needs of BOTH dhh or even hearing students.

If you can find a good dhh school, go for it!

I generally agree with you, there are 1500 schools in NYC, the majority are crap, and like you said, don't serve the needs of BOTH dhh or even hearing students.

If you can find a good dhh school, go for it!

I've often thought that maybe a good idea might be to have something like Metco, which is a busing program for inner city kids to attend school in suburban schools. Why not Deafco, like identify kids who are at risk inner city kids and send them to the residental Deaf School? Did you know that a big part of the reason why deaf and blind schools were traditionally residental, wasn't just b/c horse drawn carriages/automoblies could go so far? It was b/c they were founded to serve the blind and dhh kids who were in the poorhouses. The poorhouses were really bad (like inner city bad) so it was thought that if kids were removed from that enviorment, they could do a lot better.
I think too that NY needs to get rid of the requirement that only profound kids be able to attend Deaf schools. I also think that NYC needs to offer regional dhh programs and require that kids attend them for early education, so they can graduate from them into the mainstream. You do have to admit that virtually all deaf (and even blind) schools have really awesome early childhood programs.

Back