What in the world just happen...

Reaction score
okay right now I'm just freaking bawling my eyes out.

So I got asked to work crew for a show at my Theatre.
I asked them if I could get a mirror in the booth so I can see the SM for cues... I bought a Convex mirror. And I JUST found a way to not use a headset for the booth (FM System, I just got it as I haven't had one for over a year...) and then I get an e-mail from the Stage Manger? Telling me I am not in the show because they can't find the money or time accommodate me? I e-mailed the director/head bosses of the Theatre, The Technician and got no response from them if they will or can allow a mirror in the booth.
I've been working a year there at the Theatre, living by their standards. Straining my eyes, ears, neck and back to listen to them.
The booth format is Lights (my job) - Stage Manager (SM) - Sound. I cannot see out of my right eye so I had to position myself very uncomfortably to see/hear the cues.
I was going to tell them my plan for this booth idea... but now, I don't know what to do. I have never been so hurt in my entire life.
I thought this Theatre was a family, I've done so many shows for them... but now that I finally figured a way to not be zombie tired every night... I get booted out of the show? 2 weeks before opening? They're still scrambling to find 2 people now...

I'm wanting to go to the theatre and explain to them... but if they didn't bother to give me a response, or tell me if the plan will work or not... I don't know what to do

I'm sorry, I just had to rant it on here. I doubt this is the place... but I have no idea where else to put it.

Don't give up! I would go to the theatre and explain it to them in person. Bring the mirror and explain how it works and that it will not cost them anything. It seems that they don't understand and fear it would cause problems by having you on.

Don't give up!! Fight for it. Make yourself clear and understood.

Don't give up! I would go to the theatre and explain it to them in person. Bring the mirror and explain how it works and that it will not cost them anything. It seems that they don't understand and fear it would cause problems by having you on.

Don't give up!! Fight for it. Make yourself clear and understood.

That's basically how it is... They don't mind me (at least I think they don't) but once I bring up me needing a headset or wanting a mirror or script... they back down and say "No we don't want you" They want everything to be perfect and don't want anything interfering with their original plans.

that so unfair....is theatre where you work if so is there union or disability group that put pressure on them(i hate say disability but if that puts pressure on them so be it)you not asking for much just fairness

that so unfair....is theatre where you work if so is there union or disability group that put pressure on them(i hate say disability but if that puts pressure on them so be it)you not asking for much just fairness

I work there for free basically. I get theatre credit (buy for classes or for show) but that's it.
I've done this for a year, all I asked was a headset. Then the last show I did was like "I'm done suffering from pain, I'm asking for a mirror and FM System" I didn't ask them to pay for it, all I asked was 'If there is a possibility of putting a mirror in the booth or using a script with the highlighted cues" I get no response. I went out and bought this stuff, not them. Then an e-mail telling me they don't require my assistance in show because they can't, don't have time, don't have money to accommodate me?

It's driving me nuts and the show opens in 3 weeks. They tell me NOW?

it cruel of them do you think it possible they just not thinking,is it possible you tell them how hurtful they are and as you say you paid for this..there little theatre near me and they would never do this in fact they go out of their way to help and get goverment grant to pay for it.
so many positives getting people on stage do drama help confidence for life do they realise this

it cruel of them do you think it possible they just not thinking,is it possible you tell them how hurtful they are and as you say you paid for this..there little theatre near me and they would never do this in fact they go out of their way to help and get goverment grant to pay for it.
so many positives getting people on stage do drama help confidence for life do they realise this

It is cruel. I just figured out that it was the director/head-bosses who told the SM to write the note to me. Cute. The bosses didn't even bother to freaking let me know or ask.
That is so nice of them. I wish there was a theatre here who did that.

Where is the Canadian government website for disability rights? I have noticed a very disturbing pattern in Canada ever since they switched to socialized medicine ... their government started advocating euthanasia of the disabled.

Are there any disability rights in Canada?

http://www.ccdonline.ca/en/humanrights/endoflife/euthanasia

if not, I would like to help you overthrow your government - I can ship truckloads of arms and grenades across the border in Minnesota. ;)

I'd go down there! Don't cry! Let them scramble like roaches and realize they shouldn't have done what they did. You definitely have a right to know WTF is going on though! How immature to avoid your emails. :roll: Like I said, I'd go down there.... but it wouldn't be pretty when I did show up..... that's for sure!

My plan is:
To write a firm, detailed letter explaining how I felt, tell them what my plan was for the booth and how hurtful it was to see this letter from them. Pretty much just a nice long detailed "Why did you do this to me? My trust has been lost for this place because of what you did to me. I asked for two simple things, I got rejected and no plan as been thought through and no response to my question. You guys didn't bother to think it through just said 'She asking for something different? Okay, BYE!!!" ... I don't want to physically go there and explain. I want them to remember what I wrote to them. If they don't respond back, I'm walking in and saying "Hey! LISTEN with your EARS and don't look at me like that!"

Don't let people scare or intimidate you.... that gives them the power, and you're the one in control of your life. Never forget that. :) Good luck!

Don't let people scare or intimidate you.... that gives them the power, and you're the one in control of your life. Never forget that. :) Good luck!

I send the e-mail and the person replied back really quickly. apparently it's a huge misconception? Or something. Like he said he did not get the message I sent him (Which I did)... Eh I'm feeling horrible now.

Back