What if there's no ITP??

Lilorfnannie

Reaction score
Hi there! I am new here-

I am Hearing, learning ASL & want to learn to interpret.

However there is no ITP here in this state!! The nearest program is 1-1/2 hrs drive away, in another state. That's a really really long shot, almost impossible, for a number of reasons. The other option I found was an online ITP program, of all things. It looks legit, as far as I can tell- http://www.stcsc.edu/ITP/index.htm However it's $2745 per semester, for a 2 year Associates degree in Sign Language Interpretation. I don't know if that is expensive, but I know it's a big chunk of change.

So I am wondering, how necessary is an ITP Program? There are good ASL courses and other Deaf Studies courses offered near me, and I can read the other books about Ethics, Deaf Culture, etc as well as the next person. Probably better, I'm very good at reading comprehension & all, and I really hate classroom settings, unless I'm literally moving around, like in ASL classes. I can find ways to become involved in the Deaf Community, etc, and once I gain a certain degree of proficiency, my church will allow me to interpret (give me practice). So you Interpretors- how necessary do you think is an ITP Program? Especially when it's not easily available, if at all?? Do you think a person has a fair shot of passing the National Liscense exams, having not attended more than ASL classes, and a lot of outside reading? (& practice, etc)

Secondly, how important do you think an ITP program certificate, or Associates Degree, is to your career? Once you're Liscensed, is it irrelevant how you got there (as long as you are skilled), or is it quite a boost to your career? Does an ITP make a difference when it comes time to get a job?

Many thanks!!

Lilorfnannie said:
Hi there! I am new here-

I am Hearing, learning ASL & want to learn to interpret.

However there is no ITP here in this state!! The nearest program is 1-1/2 hrs drive away, in another state. That's a really really long shot, almost impossible, for a number of reasons. The other option I found was an online ITP program, of all things. It looks legit, as far as I can tell- http://www.stcsc.edu/ITP/index.htm However it's $2745 per semester, for a 2 year Associates degree in Sign Language Interpretation. I don't know if that is expensive, but I know it's a big chunk of change.

So I am wondering, how necessary is an ITP Program? There are good ASL courses and other Deaf Studies courses offered near me, and I can read the other books about Ethics, Deaf Culture, etc as well as the next person. Probably better, I'm very good at reading comprehension & all, and I really hate classroom settings, unless I'm literally moving around, like in ASL classes. I can find ways to become involved in the Deaf Community, etc, and once I gain a certain degree of proficiency, my church will allow me to interpret (give me practice). So you Interpretors- how necessary do you think is an ITP Program? Especially when it's not easily available, if at all?? Do you think a person has a fair shot of passing the National Liscense exams, having not attended more than ASL classes, and a lot of outside reading? (& practice, etc)

Secondly, how important do you think an ITP program certificate, or Associates Degree, is to your career? Once you're Liscensed, is it irrelevant how you got there (as long as you are skilled), or is it quite a boost to your career? Does an ITP make a difference when it comes time to get a job?

Many thanks!!

First off, hello and welcome!

I'm not going to answer your questions in any order, just whenever a thought pops into my head, I'm putting it down. Please excuse any scattered thoughts I may have here.

I think that getting certified is more important than getting a degree. Of course, this will all depend upon your location, and that's a big theme for interpreting in general. Everything can change depending on where you live. I live in Wyoming, which has no interpreting standards and no IPP/ITP, so it's incredibly easy for a skilled (or even less-than-skilled) signer to obtain an interpreting job. If you live in a more largely populated area, you're going to have a damn hard time getting a job without a degree or certification, unless you know a lot of people pulling the strings.

Passing the national certification test is probably pretty challenging without an incredibly strong working knowledge of the Code of Ethics and all that other "stuff." Etoile would be an excellent resource, as she is a certified 'terp who never graduated from an IPP/ITP.

As for the online courses- I'd stay away from them. The best way you're going to learn is through real-life interactions, not the internet.

Mind if I ask in which state you reside?

Yes, getting the national liscense (certification) is a priority for me. That's my goal!! I am seriously thinking of trying to pass it with my only classes being ASL courses- the rest gained through reading, and interaction with the Deaf/Interpreting communities, and (much later) practice interpreting at church. Especially as I really really hate lecture-oriented classroom settings (ASL is fine, lots of moving around) and getting the time/money/babysitting/etc is a HUGE HUGE hurdle- I'm just wondering if that will be enough?

I mean, I know I wouldn't try to pass the CPA exam without a ton of specialized courses, and I wouldn't try to get certified as a Nurse without a degree- or maybe it's different for the field of ASL Interpretors, trying to pass the Liscense Exam?

Lilorfnannie said:
Yes, getting the national liscense (certification) is a priority for me. That's my goal!! I am seriously thinking of trying to pass it with my only classes being ASL courses- the rest gained through reading, and interaction with the Deaf/Interpreting communities, and (much later) practice interpreting at church. Especially as I really really hate lecture-oriented classroom settings (ASL is fine, lots of moving around) and getting the time/money/babysitting/etc is a HUGE HUGE hurdle- I'm just wondering if that will be enough?

I mean, I know I wouldn't try to pass the CPA exam without a ton of specialized courses, and I wouldn't try to get certified as a Nurse without a degree- or maybe it's different for the field of ASL Interpretors?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Just because your state has pretty strict requirements for interpreters as far as certification doesn't mean that they have anything that says you must graduate from an ITP.

Why not ask your ASL teacher?

I will, but I'm not sure he really knows. The ASL class I am taking right now is geared for Adult Education- it's not accredited or anything. It is, however, half the price of the accredited classes :D I'm thinking of switching to the accredited classes though ($375 each class- gulp-) because I hate that book, it's horrible, and this class is not as high quality as ones I have taken before-

What text book is it? Does it include tapes or CD's?

Hello, here I am! :wave:

It is possible to get certified without attending an ITP. As ayala920 said, I've done it. The main goal of most ITPs is to get you ready to take a state-level certification test. Those tests are mostly used in educational interpreting - business work and other types of interpreting usually focuses more on national certification.

However I don't think it's possible to get certified without:
  • experience
  • feedback
  • investment

Experience - In many locations it is possible to work as a "pre-certified" interpreter. I know Utah does NOT permit this, but individual state chapters of RID could give you more information. IMHO, experience is absolutely necessary before taking the test, whether you've been through an ITP or not. Experience will teach you about handling situations on the fly - things you can't learn from a book. This includes ethical decisions, "oh my god how do I sign that" decisions, "the client is falling asleep now what do I do" decisions, etc. Experience is absolutely crucial. If you go through an ITP, they will sometimes help you get an internship or some practical experience somewhere. If you don't go through an ITP, you might still be able to find "pre-certified" work with an interpreting agency. The only way to know if you're good enough to interpret is to go and interview with them.

Feedback - You absolutely must hear from others, you can't just interpret on your own and assume you're a good terp. You want to hear from deaf clients, hearing clients, and fellow interpreters. This is a main concern with online ITPs - they cannot provide immediate feedback about all aspects of the interpreting session. Even if you are able to film yourself interpreting a live job, you won't be able to capture all the environmental aspects. The person viewing the video won't know the microphone wasn't working, or that the room was really cold, etc. There's no way to know you're doing a good job without somebody qualified to tell you.

Investment - This is an important part of getting certified without attending an ITP. There are a few things to invest in, and the most important is probably the So You Want To Be An Interpreter book (I believe it's about $60). This book was the bible for anyone taking the old written and CI/CT tests. It's still very valid for the new NIC test. It tells you not only the history, ethics, placement, and other textbook stuff that will be on the written, but it also explains process models and the actual job of interpreting - that is, what your brain does. We always say "a signer is not an interpreter" - that is, just because someone is fluent in ASL does not mean they are qualified to interpret. Your brain has to work a certain way in order to interpret well (I actually consider my ADHD an asset in interpreting!), and the book goes into that. Another thing to invest in could be test prep courses. I took a $100 online course with Signs of Development to help prepare with the written test, and it was definitely a big help.

I don't have a college degree or an ITP certificate, and I'm nationally certified. So it is definitely possible. One word of caution is to keep an eye on the education requirements - check the italicized part at the bottom of this page for info on when you will need a degree in order to sit for RID certification. Another good page on the RID website is the Terp FAQ. Check it out.

Hope that was helpful!

It's called "A Basic Course in American Sign Language". ABC. It's by Tom Humphries, Carol Padden, Terrence O'Rourke. I know they are prolific authors & write some really good books, so maybe it's just me, that I really dislike this textbook. It has some great qualities, like it is even spiral-bound, so it lays flat so you can sign while referring to the book. I just really dislike the way they organized the information. It's in chapters, with different grammer concepts and vocabulary in each chapter. I think it is meant to ascend in difficulty. However the chapters seem to bear little relation to each other, and I really would like to have an overall understanding of ASL Grammar, how sentences and concepts are constructed, BEFORE I stuff myself with vocabulary. I want the big picture first, but this book sort of presents details, to form a whole picture. Arrrgg. Plus, nearly every chapter there are several vocabulary words that the instructor will inform us are outdated, and a different sign is to be used!! It does come with a video I guess, but they never told us about it in class until last week, when we watched some of it. All it is, is people signing the vocabulary. However, the video is pointless because like I said, many of the signs in the book are outdated. VERY fustrating. I'd ask for my money back but I paid comparatively little for the class, and we have been learning a good amount anyways.

But anyway, there are lots of ways to learn ASL- many books, even videos & computer programs. I can get access to whatever-

I would not rely only on tapes, books or online courses. You need live person/ people to learn from, to interact with, etc.
Which state do you live in???

I live in Connecticut- and I agree, I'm going to keep taking ASL classes at least, until I'm totally fluent (a million years from now it seems like)

And thank you, Etoile!! That's a lot of valuable info!! Actually I'm reading "So you want to be an Interpreter" right now!! I got it from the local community college, that used to have the ITP- I may have to buy this book!! LOL

Speaking of CT- there are tiny tiny little snowflakes coming down- this is just NOT FAIR-

And thankfully, I will be able to get interpretating practice at my church, and the churches of my denomination around here. I also watch the interpretor at my church closely, and learn a lot of vocabulary this way. Unfortuneately, while she is very quick with her signs & interpreting, she is not liscensed, and I'm still trying to figure out how much of her signing grammer is English or ASL. She's also too busy otherwise to teach me sign, so she's not able to be much help. But I'll get there anyways ;)

ty this is very helpful but a few more questions

I am a CODA and a have a few classes under my belt so I am think of a test of RId or NAd but was the book ^ you mentioned is the study guide per say ?
or should I get another type of book ?

Lilorfnannie said:

Certain states are moving towards educational requirements for interpreters. I can't currently remember if these apply ONLY to interpreters in the educational setting, though. Some places will require interpreters to have an AA degree in a couple of years and a few years later, a bachelor's degree. So you might want to check out your state's requirements (if you contact RID they can put you in touch with someone to contact in your region).

Consider that the more general, world knowledge an interpreter has, the better she can interpret. If, for example, you get thrown into a political science class and you know nothing about the three branches of the government, you're going to have a tough time. I think interpreters should get as much education as they can in order to have the most well-rounded set of skills and knowledge. We have to know more about more than most people!

josey said:
I am a CODA and a have a few classes under my belt so I am think of a test of RId or NAd but was the book ^ you mentioned is the study guide per say ?
or should I get another type of book ?
There is not really an official study guide or cliffs notes for the written test. It is pretty hard because there is usually more than one right answer. But the book I mentioned is the best you could get for a study guide. There are also practice tests you can order from RID.

By the way, NAD doesn't have its own test anymore. It got merged with RID and is now called the NIC test.

Lilorfnannie said:
And thankfully, I will be able to get interpretating practice at my church, and the churches of my denomination around here. I also watch the interpretor at my church closely, and learn a lot of vocabulary this way. Unfortuneately, while she is very quick with her signs & interpreting, she is not liscensed, and I'm still trying to figure out how much of her signing grammer is English or ASL. She's also too busy otherwise to teach me sign, so she's not able to be much help. But I'll get there anyways ;)

PLEASE BE CAREFUL if you think you're going to get your 'interpreting practice' at church. Too many church hymns and sermons have been devoid of being interpreted for true MEANING---mainly because church stuff is FROZEN text, and it's way too common in many churches that I've seen where the interpreter just signs things very "pretty" and have no meaning whatsoever. Just throwing in a big warning for ya. One terrific interpreter I know got her 'practice' from being invited over to a deaf friend's house and interpreted some TV sitcoms or news or whatever (this was way before CC chips came into the market) and kept herself open to all suggestions, corrections, inquiries, etc. for more meaning and such...this interpreter was very lucky--she didn't barge into the deaf community and DEMAND that she be taught, she was *invited* based on her good attitude. There is NOTHING that beats a natural language learning environment and NOTHING that beats entering into any ITP with *very strong* ASL skills.

Back