WHAT IF religious don't exist in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God created and sustains the world. Without God there would be no world.

God's answers to humanity's tough questions are hard for some people to accept; there are no easy answers.

The most basic dictionary definition of "religion" is:

1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

Religions are many and various because their followers believe in many and various "supernatural powers".

This thread question is:

"WHAT IF religious don't exist in the world?"

The answer is, it depend on the "religion."

Some religions have a postive influence on personal morality and society, and some religions have a negative, even destructive influence on people and society (such as inquisitions and wars). It depends on which supernatural power that religion follows. Does that supernatural power love the followers and encourage them to love other people, and live clean moral lives? Or does that supernatural power encourage rebellion, hate, violence, self-centeredness, and greed?

If more people follow the religion of love, purity, and self-sacrifice, then the world will be a better place.

If more people follow the religion of hate, nastiness, and greed, then the world will be a worse place.

MorriganTait said:
Remember - "religion" is not the same as "God".

Yes, that's right. I don't know why some of posts mixed "God" with "reglious" here since creator ask us question "WHAT IF religious don't exist in the world?" which it mean is REGLIOUS, not God.

Then there won't be any Sunday, everybody will have to work everyday.

And then there would be no Saint Nicholas, Santa Claus, Christmas, Saint Valentine Day, no toys for children, no St. Patrick Day, Ireland Irish people won't parade, then no Thankgiving and no Pilgrims, Indians would still live in this country running wild....

It would be a boring boring boring world and we all will be watching each other's picking their noses.

And no red cross, no salvation army, nobody would care about the poor, and we will have Billions of male and female prostitution, and no Gallaudet school, and many of disabled people would be beggers or dead.

Oh well.

ah, it's off-topic, i know:
MorriganTait said:
God exists one way or the other, whether we believe in God or not.

you say that because you believe in god, but to someone who does not believe in god, your entire point would be moot.

back on-topic a little:
reba said:
and some religions have a negative, even destructive influence on people and society (such as inquisitions and wars). It depends on which supernatural power that religion follows.

you realize that "negative influences" like wars and inquisitions are brought about by the same religious grouping that you (and most of us hre at AD) recognize as positive. there is no completely positive or completely negative religion. there isn't even a MOSTLY positive or negative religion. religion is a man-made thing, and subject to all the foibles of man himself. people don't start a religion thinking, "ooh, evil! yay, i can't wait to be bad!" it's all in search of something better, not something destructive. but we go that way anyway at some point, whether we are christian or buddhist or wiccan or muslim.

reba said:
If more people follow the religion of love, purity, and self-sacrifice, then the world will be a better place.

If more people follow the religion of hate, nastiness, and greed, then the world will be a worse place.

I object to these statements, especially the last one.
I challenge you to find a religion that DOES NOT teach love, purity, and self-sacrifice (in some fashion or another). I also challenge you to find a religion whose tenets are hate, nastiness, and greed.

non_sequitur said:
you say that because you believe in god, but to someone who does not believe in god, your entire point would be moot.
I think you should look carefully at the rest of what I said. The existence of God him/herself was not the original question. The question was whether we would have a sense of right and wrong without religion. My point was, our debating the existence of God does not change whether God exists or not. However, the discussion of Man's inherent nature and whether religion improves us is, I think, quite an interesting discussion - one which I hope we would engage in.

The most powerful and dangerous weapon in the world is religious fervor.

Beowulf said:

Wrong!!! Money is. Look at the World Trade Center, BANK!!! OIL in Middle East!!!!!!! Starvation!!! Power, take Saddam down, taking over countries, look at what happen to USA once belong to Indians, and slave trade, and all. MONEY MONEY will always be the root of evil.

Nobody will kill for God.

Those leaders paid thousand of dollars to suicide bombers.

We Christians didn't go to war with Muslims for God.... This is no holy war.
It is all about power and putting Shitties and Kurdish leaders in charge of politic.

Beowulf said:

I agree, it certainly has done a great deal of harm, but then again, religious organizations comprise most of the major infratructure of the world throughout history. It's hard to separate commerce or government of any type from a religious context in some way. Not to excuse the evil and harm that has been done, but I think we tend to gloss over how religion shapes the basic underpinnings of society - it's just so ubiquitous that we never seriosly ponder it.

non_sequitur said:
...you realize that "negative influences" like wars and inquisitions are brought about by the same religious grouping that you (and most of us hre at AD) recognize as positive.
I don't want to offend people here by naming religions or denominations. I am trying to keep my statements general.

...there is no completely positive or completely negative religion. there isn't even a MOSTLY positive or negative religion. religion is a man-made thing, and subject to all the foibles of man himself. people don't start a religion thinking, "ooh, evil! yay, i can't wait to be bad!" it's all in search of something better, not something destructive. but we go that way anyway at some point, whether we are christian or buddhist or wiccan or muslim.
I disagree but I don't want to start a fight; that would be "negative". ;)

I challenge you to find a religion that DOES NOT teach love, purity, and self-sacrifice (in some fashion or another). I also challenge you to find a religion whose tenets are hate, nastiness, and greed.
Like I said, if I "name names" I will be accused of bashing, judging, etc. Let me just say, in general, that religions that promote hate, nastiness (or hedonism), and/or greed don't necessarily "advertise" that. For example, a religion that promotes killing non-believers for only the reason that they don't believe in that religion is promoting hatred and violence. A religion that preaches doing whatever "feels good" or makes one feel "happy" is promoting hedonism and materialism.

I'm afraid there are even some beyond-the-fringe "religions" that promote child abuse, sexual deviance, human sacrifice, and putting curses on people. If you insist, I can find you internet links to some of these groups but I prefer to not touch that. You can also do your own search.

Reba said:
For example, a religion that promotes killing non-believers for only the reason that they don't believe in that religion is promoting hatred and violence.

I agree. That is why I avoid "Christians" who insist that anyone who does not subscribe to their beliefs will toast in hell. Those poor fools do not realize the supreme irony that they are preaching the opposite of true Christianity, i.e., they unwittingly promote hatred and intolerance.

If religious don't exist in the world..

I would be don't know who... where can I pray with????
Church will be nothing.. People will become crazy and horrible..

Thank god, I'm feel blessing that God is here..
I can pray w/Jesus anytime I like to....
Church is here.... their choice prefer choosen attend to: Christian/cathohic/muslims/and many different kind their religous...
Not mine business.. their business choosen to... what you really love...
No discussion their crizitizing religous... as long respect theirs...

Just....

I think if the religions didn't exist in the world, there still would be the same problems. :dunno: People'll always find something to be dependent on - to worship without discernment - remember that we will still have our celebrities and sport heroes. Some of us still follow governments without questions. I think anything you are dependent on IS a cult. ;)

Miss*Pinocchio said:
All of these Aids spreading because of fools.
Miss P - seriously - what does this have to do with ANYTHING we are talking about in THIS thread? Why don't you start another thread for this topic?

Beowulf said:
I agree. That is why I avoid "Christians" who insist that anyone who does not subscribe to their beliefs will toast in hell.
For myself, I have to think Hell is pretty small, and hard to get into. It just does not seem merciful or loving at all for God to punish us eternally for either normal human flaws, or something as arbitrary as which relgion we were expsed to. I personally practice Christianity because of Christ's core message, but his message was intended for all who wish to practice it - he didn't beg for acknowledgement - he wanted people to behave well toward one another. As far as I am concerned, if you are good to your fellow man you ARE a Christian (whether you acknowledge Christ or not), and if you aren't, you aren't.

I don't think Christians and religion cause violence.

That is not right to say all Christians and people with religion are violent.

Give me some example to why religion is terrible?

It is harmless to pray to God, what is wrong with following the 10 commandments... Do not steal, do not lie, do not cheat...

What is wrong with Christmas?

I believe people who don't want religion in the world, because so they can do wicked things.

If there is no God, and no hell, then heck, I can go right ahead and kill myself.

we might as well pass all assisted suicide law for all people who suffer terrible diseases.

And people in wheelchairs and people with burns and people born with severely disability. Let them die.

And no death penalty, no judge, no rights, no justice, and all.

And we can have abortion anytime we want... Have sex and have homosexual and have sex with siblings and incest...

Oh what the heck. Do whatever, run around naked if you want to. :cheers:

No marriage either. Woo hoo.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
That is not right to say all Christians and people with religion are violent.
I don't think anyone claimed this.

It's foolish, however, to suggest that there has never been any violence associated with religious furvor. One only need look at 9-11, the Pogroms and the Crusades to know this is the case.

MorriganTait said:
I don't think anyone claimed this.

It's foolish, however, to suggest that there has never been any violence associated with religious furvor. One only need look at 9-11, the Pogroms and the Crusades to know this is the case.

Oh, you are judging Muslims.

I befriended a Muslim young guy and he said he does not agree with terrorists.

Same thing with Christians, most of us don't agree with violence.

Christians accept Gay people.

There is nothing wrong with religion, it is how people are using it.

And so what? Shit happens, people get kill everyday and people die everyday.

Look at mudslides in Phillipines, California, Tsunami in India, Hurricane Katrina, and tornado.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Oh, you are judging Muslims.

I befriended a Muslim young guy and he said he does not agree with terrorists.

Same thing with Christians, most of us don't agree with violence.

Christians accept Gay people.

There is nothing wrong with religion, it is how people are using it.

And so what? Shit happens, people get kill everyday and people die everyday.

Look at mudslides in Phillipines, California, Tsunami in India, Hurricane Katrina, and tornado.

1. I am not "judging" simply stating a fact - the specifically mentioned acts of violence were as a direct result of religious furvor. 9-11 by Muslims and the Pogroms and the Crusades by Christians.

2. YOU don't accept gays, you are a Christian and you claim your religion teaches you NOT to accept gays. I DO accept gays (I am bisexual after all), and I am ALSO a Christian, and I believe my Bible instructs me to love others as myself. I have also given you numerous references to Christian organizations that believe homosexuality is not a sin.

3. I have never suggested there is anything particularly wrong with religion, simply that relgious furvor, in the past, has been the impetus for incredible acts of violence. To deny this is simply stupidity.

4. If you FOLLOW my posts on this topic you will see that I encouraged a discussion of how relgion forms the fabric of our society. While I am not so foolish as to believe that religion is 100% perfect and has never done any wrong, I doubt our world would much resemble what it does today - Good AND Bad - if it were not for the religious history of virtually every known culture.

You think because you befreind ONE Muslim you understand how ALL Muslims think? You don't even understand how ALL CHRISTIANS think and you ARE one.

You keep seeing my posts in black and white and think that by saying there has been some violence perpetuated by religious furvor that means I am saying ALL religious people are violent, which would of course include myself. I am not violent. In fact, I am a pacifist, and am actively involved in several projects to end violence both locally and globally.

What are YOU working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back