what I have been taught about deaf culture

Tone it down and say SOME, not many.
Sorry, but “SOME” indicates that it is not widespread, and from what I have seen, the term ”MANY” more accurately describes the situation.
However, quite a few of those deafies are getting medicaid so they can get good quality health care.
And what exactly does that have to do with the price of tea in China? We were discussing SSDI, not Medicaid.
I'm getting disabilty both b/c most private health care companies don't cover hearing aids, and b/c I can't find a job that makes enough money to cover both basic costs of living AND the increased costs of my disabilties.
Excuses are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink. You just proved my theory by claiming you have a “disability”.

For the record, I thoroughly agree with all Kootchie had to say.

Before I had ASL I thought of deaf people as disabled because I didn’t know any better but now it makes you really think about who’s really disabled and who’s not.
I would say that anyone claiming SSDI has already admitted that they are “disabled”.

On the other hand I think that hearing society does owe us to an extent. THEY are the ones who poorly educated us, they are the ones who insisted that hearing and speaking were key to good jobs and a good education
And my dear mama would say, “Shit or get off the pot”. In other words, do something about it or quit bitching. You want better deaf education, become a teacher. Quit blaming someone else for all your problems.

How come some deaf people are not able to get a promotion? My friend has been working for 8 years, and his new partner for one year got promoted. It's simple that my friend is deaf, and his partner is hearing. His boss said that it is too much trouble for him to deal with the phone using a relay service. I was told that he is not worried about his job because he will get the money inheritance from his parents in 20 years or longer.

Some deaf people who have health problems cannot afford to pay their health insurance. They have no choice to get SSI/SSDI. Some are allowed to get a job with limited salary.

A couple of years ago, I watched on PBS about a 25-years-old hearing woman has a heart problem, and she has a hard time to make money to meet her quality for the health insurance. She ended up paying the services for years, and she did not get what she wants for her future. I guess she is still working as a low life. It is almost no difference between deaf and hearing culture.

Maybe, little more against hearing because many deaf employees work at NTID and Galluadet as the deaf culture - like a trap.

As for promotions, it does happen. I have been promoted three times in a former job. And the current job I am in, I know there will be room for promotions if I work hard and prove myself to them. It's still a matter of attitude and letting your superiors know what you want, and knowing what your superiors expect from you. And a plus is that I work for a company which has one of the best benefits in the state.

If you are not satisified with the jobs you have, then you always have the choice to do something about it. Go get a good education for yourself, prove yourselves to your teachers and scholastic community, network and then get a job in the end that you love. Or go to companies and talk with their human resource offices, show them that you are capable to work and so on. Remember, maintain a good attitude and sense of humour throughout the whole experience, as it won't be free of obstacles. Don't just sit back and watch TV at home wondering why you have a bad job and bitch about it.

Oh give me a break Eve, it is NOT that widespread. You're basing your opinons on hearsay.
And what exactly does that have to do with the price of tea in China? We were discussing SSDI, not Medicaid.
The majority of people who apply for disabilty apply for it b/c they need the medical coverage. I have many medical needs, including hearing aids, pills, counseling etc. I am currently a young adult...many young adults do not and cannot afford medical insurance/coverage. So they turn to getting disabilty so that they have medicaid!
Yes, I am disabled. I don't think there's anything wrong with being disabled. Being disabled is not the same as being unable!
In other words, do something about it or quit bitching. You want better deaf education, become a teacher. Quit blaming someone else for all your problems.
I am not blaming anyone for my problems....I am just playing Devil's Advocate.
And you know what? It's true.....if hearing people had not told my parents that Sign was a crutch, I would be fluent in ASL now and able to function without my hearing aids. B/c of hearing people I am dependant on and can't function without my aids!

deafdyke said:
You're basing your opinons on hearsay.
I can safely say you are basing your opinions on hearsay...
The majority of people who apply for disabilty apply for it b/c they need the medical coverage. I have many medical needs, including hearing aids, pills, counseling etc. I am currently a young adult...many young adults do not and cannot afford medical insurance/coverage. So they turn to getting disabilty so that they have medicaid!
My almost 84-year-old grandmother has many medical needs, but she has refused to use TennCare, Tennessee's already-crippling Medicaid program. She pays her doctor and medication bills on time. Nope she isn't deaf or rich!
if hearing people had not told my parents that Sign was a crutch, I would be fluent in ASL now and able to function without my hearing aids. B/c of hearing people I am dependant on and can't function without my aids!
Please quit blaming hearing people, they only thought what was best for you and children. If you want to be fluent in ASL, go on and be one, no one is stopping you!

kuifje75 said:
As for promotions, it does happen. I have been promoted three times in a former job. And the current job I am in, I know there will be room for promotions if I work hard and prove myself to them. It's still a matter of attitude and letting your superiors know what you want, and knowing what your superiors expect from you. And a plus is that I work for a company which has one of the best benefits in the state.

If you are not satisified with the jobs you have, then you always have the choice to do something about it. Go get a good education for yourself, prove yourselves to your teachers and scholastic community, network and then get a job in the end that you love. Or go to companies and talk with their human resource offices, show them that you are capable to work and so on. Remember, maintain a good attitude and sense of humour throughout the whole experience, as it won't be free of obstacles. Don't just sit back and watch TV at home wondering why you have a bad job and bitch about it.

Beautifully said, Eve & Kuifje. These are the operative words: Walk that talk.

Good point about having the responsibility to change, and recognizing that we do have choices.

For instance, I graduated with a degree in graphic design - but I made the choice of moving to a small town type, that doesn't have any career in this field. So I have the choice of changing trades or moving to the nearest big city. I feel I need to be in this town for a while now- so I'm examining a change of trade in something that would make my heart sing. The key is to do things within your integrity, and still be happy with them; expect to adapt when the circumstances call for it. It is a powerful human trait to adapt. :)

How would blaming others help our circumstances? We are the only ones responsible that can help ourselves. I think there is a quote about "God" helping those who help themselves? I'm not religious, but I think that is a good phrase to apply in this situation.

I can see there are all kinds of POV on the deaf community: Deaf people are blunt. Deaf people are undereducated. Deaf people are dependents. Deaf people are angry. Deaf people blame others. Deaf people are all same. Crab, theory. Crab, crab, crab. One size fits all, eh?

I see deaf culture like I would any other cultures in the world. I think we need to acknowledge there IS diversity living with a culture, and that culture keeps changing all the time. Depending on your perception. It would be unfair in my opinion to hold ONE perception true as the only definition of a deaf culture or community, however.

I think it is an important human trait to recognize we all do have a hand in influencing a community or culture- no one can speak for each of us individually, can they?

I like to think rules are being rewritten all the time! :)

Oh give me a break Eve, it is NOT that widespread. You're basing your opinons on hearsay.
You’re so right, DD, I hear (or in my case, see) what other deafies have to say about their lives and I’m here saying (repeating) it for you here today.

Yes, I am disabled. I don't think there's anything wrong with being disabled. Being disabled is not the same as being unable!
I couldn’t agree more.

It's true.....if hearing people had not told my parents that Sign was a crutch, I would be fluent in ASL now and able to function without my hearing aids. B/c of hearing people I am dependant on and can't function without my aids!
This is one of those stinky excuses I was referring to. If you want to learn ASL, get off your ass and learn it. There is NOTHING standing in your way. You are a grown adult and can make that decision on your own. However, that being said, I believe you will not find the grass any greener on the other side. My husband was raised oral. He is an expert at lip reading and speech. He is also the manager of a company. He is extremely intelligent and can go far in life. He also knows that he has some limitations that he must either A) work around or B) overcome. That’s life. He chooses not to blame anyone else for his position in life, but to prove to himself and others of his own worth. And btw, he has learned ASL later in life and that is our main form of communication in the home for the simple fact that it is easier for us to communicate with one another without any excuses of misunderstandings. He would never want to be dependent on any one form of communication.

LMAO I tend to reply to one member at a time while reading the rest as I go. I now see that Brian has already said nearly all that I had to say as well.

My main point is that we are all responsible for our own destinies. If you want to go far in life, do something about it. Don’t let anyone dictate to you what your limitations are, show ‘em what you’re made of!

On the other hand I think that hearing society does owe us to an extent. THEY are the ones who poorly educated us, they are the ones who insisted that hearing and speaking were key to good jobs and a good education
I think Liza's signature says it best:
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain
AND
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Eve, there are more MT quotes at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mark_twain.html

I just changed my signature, altho I wish I could display all I liked but there is a 500 character limit unfortunately ;)

Hmm.. additionally... is it true that deaf people are from outer space, too? :P
The way everybody keep referring to deaf people... as if we are a completely different species. I don't know if that is irritating, but I do know there is room for learning.

Hmm.. additionally... is it true that deaf people are from outer space, too?
of course that is true. it's also true that ALL deaf people are mindless twits without an original thought. :naughty:

Eve, I'm just playing Devil's advocate.....and I mean learning Sign as an adult is different from learning it as a child.....I will probaly never be as fluent as I could be had I learned it as a child. I am learning Sign right now, but I still hold a grudge against those experts who told my parents that Sign was a "crutch" I could have had a more fullfilling childhood rather then a childhood of going "boo-be-bah" in speech therapy, and of being teased about the way I talk.
I do NOT think of it as an excuse....You simply have NO CLUE whatsoever how much of a burden increased health care costs are. My sister (who has NO health problems whatsoever) had a HELL of a lot of problems initially, my best friend is in college and has no health problems, but also didn't have any insurance. She had an attack of appendicitis and still has no clue how she's gonna pay for the costs associatied with that!

No clue? There is always charity cases to apply for. At least that I know of here in Utah. I worked in a hospital, and they would admit anyone no matter what the cost is, and they are more than willing to work with you to come up with a payment plan or to help you prepare your case for charity case. Like I said, there are wonderful services out there, but people just don't know that they are available out there, or they are just too proud to ask for help.

You simply have NO CLUE whatsoever how much of a burden increased health care costs are.
I think I have more of a clue than you know. In a family of 7, health care costs are quite extensive. My husband is deaf, I am HoH, my stepson has been diagnosed with ADHD/ODD/Emotional Disturbance and is currently being tested for Asperger’s and Tourette’s, my stepdaughter has been diagnosed with ADHD and depression. Both stepkids go to psychotherapy regularly and that wouldn’t be covered by Medicaid even if we received Medicaid. Additionally, my son has been tested for Spina Bifida and recently went through his first extensive audiology testing. Plus, he just had surgery last week to remove his tonsils, adenoids, and put in ear tubes. If you don’t think I know the burden of increased health care costs, you are the clueless one, not me. And, just to think, we do it all without resorting to government assistance! Kootchie is right, we have had to do the payment plan thing through the hospitals, but we still manage to make ends meet.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with those who are truly disabled claiming SSDI. The only problem I have is when they rant and rave that they aren’t “disabled”, yet never fail to cash in on those disability benefits.

Eve said:
Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with those who are truly disabled claiming SSDI. The only problem I have is when they rant and rave that they aren’t “disabled”, yet never fail to cash in on those disability benefits.

I hear you loud and clear on that one. It irkes me that most protest that they are not disabled yet so willing to be labeled disabled in order to recieve monthly checks from Uncle Sam.

What irkes me even further is that they refuse to quit SSDI altogether and go back to work full time. They choose to stay on it and work odd jobs to make money under table or whatnot. Then they have galls to complain that they cannot afford paying utlities or whatnot. Come on!

deafdyke

can I ask where you are from ?

I hope you are not in the same state as I am.

You said ~ "but I still hold a grudge against those experts who told my parents that Sign was a "crutch"

You have an issue with your grudge as it will become heavier if you dont DEAL with the issue. Attack the issue isnt the way to solve it. And you are an advocate? Teach them, dont complain!

simple as that ~!

edit : better yet, dont teach anyone since I am nervous how you would teach or show others ... * running away *

deafdyke said:
On the other hand I think that hearing society does owe us to an extent. THEY are the ones who poorly educated us, they are the ones who insisted that hearing and speaking were key to good jobs and a good education.

Yes the "hearing society" should be more educated about deafness and Deaf culture. However, the only way we can change things is to refuse to be victims. Passive voice and intransitive verbs are a signal of feelings of victimization. And "being a victim" removes any power to create change and puts complete control in the hands of those who we accuse of oppressing us. We must demand quality education and prove that we can handle it. It is not fair that many people equate deafness with stupidity, but we must prove them otherwise. It is not fair that we must prove our intelligance (forgive my poor spelling) but the only way to create change is to challange the system by showing that we are capable of far more than they had assumed.
If "they are the ones who poorly educate us" then we must be the ones who devour every book avaliable to arm ourselves with the knowledge necessary to prove that we are capable.
If "they are the ones who insisted that hearing and speaking were key to good jobs and a good education" then we must be the ones who show them, by being examples, that we d/Deaf people can be successful workers and earn advanced degrees.

A "good education" and "good jobs" are not given and recieved. They are fought for and earned.

there isn't much to learn about deaf culture...
deaf people just have a hearing loss....
and just need sign language because some can't talk.
They can learn how to talk if they hired speech therapist.

And they don't wanna be call disabled... because
hearing loss is just minor thing.

Even me, I don't call myself disabled, because my face is just messed up
that is all, and I got hearing aid to fix that problem.

I just don't understand why my mom put me in deaf class from Elementary, Jr. High, High School...
I would do just fine with a notetaker. Or just have homeschooling...

And deaf people never like me... I get along and have more fun with hearing people... and stuff... hearing people accept me more... I don't have to fit
in with hearing people.

I wish to learn more on how to socialize with hearing people, but
it seems so hard... maybe if my mom should have allow me in hearing classes.
I would learn how to socialize with hearing people.

So I guess, I just leave this deaf forum, I wish that deaf girl from AOL deaf chat didn't invite me here... because it isn't even worth my time here...
Deaf people keep banning me, removing my thread and stuff....

Hearing people wouldn't treat me like that, though.
I can be whoever I want to be in hearing forum...
Just be silly and have everyone laugh along....

Anyway... guess I go leave here. FOr good.

Back