What feature of the SIDEK!CK do you use the most and why?

XBGMER

Reaction score
I like SK Users comments on this, non sk-users hearing this from your own comments! share and courage, answer their questions if they require yours.. thank you!

Without doubt, I use my sidekick for several basic tasks: It allows me to checking Email and IMing, because I like to keep in touch with people quickly as instead of coming home to checking PC.. I take it everywhere much easy for me. I need to get in touch with certain people during the work day, and I just talk them on AIM via SK, plus send and receive email REAL quick. It more useful TOOL for the deaf and hard of hearing communities.

In 2002 began, One of firends who told me a lot about "danger's hot productions" I bumped at deaf awareness day. Then, I asked him what is site. he gave it out me. I did check on site after deaf event. Later I found that seen the Sidekick had showing up in a few famous SKATERS on MAG from transworld skateboarding commercials. it Kept my eyes on the skatebaord magzine for upcoming Sidekick sightings Since its released in Septmeber of 2002, the hiptop® device! that how I got sk1 on end of month: October 2002

NOTE: If you're an IM addict, this is totally the right one for you. The IM clients are better integrated into the SK2 than any other phone or smartphone...

If you wish to comment on this, let your voice be heard at my post here.. :thumb: Enjoy stay!!!!

I use email and the POP email (from Gmail)... for most of the times.
I use SMS/Text messaging as well with hearing people.

Recently I have been used my camera more than ever (since I got SK2 now which has a camera inside, it saved me time to look around for my SK1camera then plug it in et cetera... No fun!)

So
EMAIL, SMS, GALLERY/PICTURE in the order are the features I frequently use.

Email, AOL ( pop mail) , AIM, Games ( rock and rocket) and text messaging... when im traveling and am not near a PC i ll use the web other than that.... im usually on the PC more when im WWW surfing.

most most time i use email/pgr to check.. if they need talk me on aim then i turn on.. thats it!

I use the e-mail feature most. I also use the POP for my Gmail as well. ;)

Million thanks to SK users comments on this.. Let people hear OUR VOICE here about SK... :)

VamPyroX said:
I use the e-mail feature most. I also use the POP for my Gmail as well. ;)
I forgot to add why...

I like the POP feature because I know when I've received e-mails. If I'm expecting an important email from my boss or someone, I'll know right away. ;)

I tend to use AIM and Email (T-mail and Gmail) on sk. My friend use my sidekick 2 to takin pictures of friends n herself n us.. lol idk why she love takin picture on my sk.. :crazy: :mrgreen:

SideKick questions

I am hearing and had a couple of questions about Deaf people using the Sidekick or other cell phones... I recently went to a T-Mobile and Verizon shack in my local mall, and wanted to get a cell phone or a Sidekick. I NEVER talk to any of my family or friends on the phone, I do 100% emailing and text messaging... Dont ask me why, I just hate talking on the phone. Anyway, I tried to see if I could get a phone with only text messaging, and NO minutes or anything, and they people basically said yeah right, we cant do that, and laughed in my face. So my question was whether or not cell phone companies require Deaf customers to purchase minutes? Can you only get a phone with messaging? Or does a cell phone use minutes in the TTY mode? I am just really confused and curious about the whole situation.

Thanks!

Tegumi

Many of us just tell the company that bills us that we don't want the cell phone feature of the SK and they take 10 buks of the monthly bill....

FYI they mis-leading you. Reason, if you sign up with this package that includes voice package, they r getting more profit!!! They really wanted to avoid having you sign up for data only service because there isn't much commission in there! They are laughing at you to intimid you, but they are WRONG!
Sidekick, Blackberry does have Data only which does not include minutes for voice calls. You still will be able to make voice calls but that is 20 cents a minute (Tmobile deals).
I don't recommend Verizon for data only. They don't have really good data system as Tmobile does. Go for Tmo if you want data only plan. Sprint does have data only plans, but cost twice more, same goes with Nextel.

tegumi said:
I am hearing and had a couple of questions about Deaf people using the Sidekick or other cell phones... I recently went to a T-Mobile and Verizon shack in my local mall, and wanted to get a cell phone or a Sidekick. I NEVER talk to any of my family or friends on the phone, I do 100% emailing and text messaging... Dont ask me why, I just hate talking on the phone. Anyway, I tried to see if I could get a phone with only text messaging, and NO minutes or anything, and they people basically said yeah right, we cant do that, and laughed in my face. So my question was whether or not cell phone companies require Deaf customers to purchase minutes? Can you only get a phone with messaging? Or does a cell phone use minutes in the TTY mode? I am just really confused and curious about the whole situation.

Thanks!

Tegumi

tegumi said:

Thanks!

Tegumi

Tegumi,

You can buy one from deafpager.com I heard it's popular.. they won't know if you are deaf or hearing.. as long your credit is good. then you get it sk2 with data plan only.. and you can use make phone call if it's emergency only or rarely make phone call--- it costs .20 per minute. I guess that will fits your needs?

Phone with messaging? are you referring to SMS? If so, it won't charge you a penny, if you use sk within USA and Canda.

I keep getting text messages from Jamster.com. Then a bill comes, I got charged 99 cents for every time I get a message from Jamster.

How do I put a stop to it?

I wish that Sidekick include the Voice Mail, too...
(instead of SMS/Text messaging,
hearing person can make a voice phone call and then
leave a message converting this to something
like SMS/Text messaging) Lots of hearing people
do NOT want to bother with SMS/Text messaging,
but they prefer to make a regular phone call
using their own voice and then leave a message
on the voice mail. Then, I call and check into
my own voice mail picking up messages.

i used to pay for 24 hour Answering Service using
their voice mail for hearing people to call me back
while i was looking for jobs all i have to do is to
give them a regular phone number WITHOUT having
to include relay nbr or any complicated instructions
nothing ... JUST A REGULAR PHONE NUMBER...
and then they simply make a phone call and then
leave a message on the voice mail
which mean i call back to pick up messages
from my voice mail.

Just a regular simple phone number on resume is
very nice (much better than include Relay nbr etc)...
Only because I do NOT want to reveal my Deafness
until I meet them in person first.

I know how you feel. I wish that companies would offer more flexibility for their plans. It would be nice if they could offer cheap "pay by the minute" plans while offering prices for text only.

Y said:
I wish that Sidekick include the Voice Mail, too...
(instead of SMS/Text messaging,
hearing person can make a voice phone call and then
leave a message converting this to something
like SMS/Text messaging) Lots of hearing people
do NOT want to bother with SMS/Text messaging,
but they prefer to make a regular phone call
using their own voice and then leave a message
on the voice mail. Then, I call and check into
my own voice mail picking up messages.

i used to pay for 24 hour Answering Service using
their voice mail for hearing people to call me back
while i was looking for jobs all i have to do is to
give them a regular phone number WITHOUT having
to include relay nbr or any complicated instructions
nothing ... JUST A REGULAR PHONE NUMBER...
and then they simply make a phone call and then
leave a message on the voice mail
which mean i call back to pick up messages
from my voice mail.

Just a regular simple phone number on resume is
very nice (much better than include Relay nbr etc)...
Only because I do NOT want to reveal my Deafness
until I meet them in person first.

I don't know about Sidekick1, but Sidekick2 has a voice mail even if you have Unlimited Data Only plan. I can't figure out how to set it up, so I gave up. Just use My IP Relay on AIM and register your screenname. They'll give you an unique phone number that will directly call the relay service and pulls up your screenname to contact you. If you don't answer your calls on AIM, the relay service will email you the message.

Sweet service!

:D

I use my Sidekick2 to email and AIM to my family and friends. My favorite feature is the built-in camera. I save most of the pics to my email and moblog.

I want get my OWN sidekick because its so cool!

but i can communicate with friend/family with AIM and dozen more! and also ip-relay too.

Sara Boyce

My Happy Key

I use the DEL ( my happy key ) button all the time.

I have it on good authority that Sidekick III could be making it's debut in the Deafnation expo this weekend. It's a $600 toy according to the store in Burbank.

Richard

Back