What effects your CI (Objects, locations, gadgets, etc...)

RonJaxon

Reaction score
A friend of mine who's had her CI a little over a year told me about the security things at the door of some stores like walmart effects her CI. She said to her it kind of cuts the sound off for a second as she passes through them. I read on line some people claim they can hear a sound when they pass those security things. I tried it the other day and I didn't pick anything up. But of course I've only had my CI less then a week so mine isn't turned up very high yet so that might explain why it didn't seem to effect mine yet.

Anyway, I was just curious what other things any of you might have sound effects your CI. Maybe there are some gadgets or locations that cause you to hear something. Maybe something electrical hums or something like that. Or maybe an object or location causes yours to cut off if your to close.

I can understand how some electronics could have an effect on the implant and/or processor. So this post is more about curiosity. I just wonder what I might someday experience. For example I someday experience something when I pass the security things at Walmart I'll know not to worry to much for others have had the same things happen too.

Ron

When mine was first turned on during the first week I heard the electricity running through the lines on the poles when I walked my dog. At first I thought it was crows making all that noise because it followed us and it did take a couple of days to figure out it was the power lines. Thats about the only weird thing that has happened to me since I was activated 21 weeks ago although things do improve with each mapp.

Good Luck with your next mapps, Don

I have never experienced anything like this

I experienced it with my analog hearing aids. Had to take them off everytime I decide to walk into a store, or otherwise they set off the alarms. The digital ones were a blessing for me.

Umm, interesting!

Having my CI for nearly 5 years, I have yet to experience any electronic "noise" with it. I suppose if I set my CI to use telecoil, I would hear it somewhere. Fortunately for me, I never have to use that mode.

I have had some of that with my HAs in the past.

I work at Wal-Mart and never have had that problem. Now the rent a movie kiosks are a pain.. more an annoying high pitch noise than an electrical problem. The only bad sounds are when I use tcoil for cell phone use..I have to go outside as I get a nasty hum if anywhere close to an electrical device. Can't use a landline..just too mechanical and garbled once I DO find the right spot to hold it, plus the external noise makes it too confusing.
One thing that can cause havoc...static electricity..I have to be really careful when doing laundry and make sure I use dryer sheets..it causes odd sensations in my ear through the ci

The noise was only for the first week then my audi cleaned it up with my first mapp session an I have never heard it since.

One time when my ride (Medical transportation) had to go pick somebody up from dialysis on my way home (no not me, my kidneys are fine, close to normal function), I heard a continuous beeping sound while sitting in the van outside of the dialysis center waiting for the dialysis patient to come out and get into the van, and I thought that was odd. Then I noticed on the glass doors that it says "microwave in use" and I assumed that might be what was causing the beeping sound in my CI. I thought that was interesting.

If my CI is still in T-COIL I have discovered my Hybrid makes some interesting noises after start up it makes a a woooooooo noise and right after that it makes a honking noise.(No it is not someone honking at me.)

We had the reverse happen with my daughter's AB platinum bodyworn processor (7 or so years ago). I discovered that if she walked by an FM radio when it was on, the station would go to static. She'd go away and it would come back on. I reported it to the audi who brushed it off, saying that some people just normally affect FM signals and that it wasn't the CI.

I didn't think much of it, and then one day I was sitting in the car with the radio on and she and my husband approached the car from the rear, where the car antenna was. As soon as she passed the antenna, the radio went to static! The next time we went to the audiologist, I brought it up again. He just happened to have a radio sitting there, and even though he didn't think it was the CI he decided to try it out. And out went the signal, lol!

After that he called AB and the first thing they asked was, "Does it have a little silver sticker on it?". Turns out it didn't, which meant it wasn't shielded properly. They switched out her processor for a new one and we never had that problem again.

During this time, we had trialed an FM system and she hated it. They blamed it on her (malformed cochlea), but I really think she hated it because she wasn't hearing anything but FM interference on it! She uses one now with no problem...

If you hear the security sensors, wiring, over head high power lines, computer transformers, some cordless phone transformers, car electronics, there is a high likely that the Telecoil is turned on or the audiologist has turned it on mixed with the microphone and has not said anything. My last mapping session, I had a new audi do the programming and they had changed the mixing levels without telling me. Fortunately, I found this out before getting to far from the office and was able to return to have it fixed.

Talk with your audi about this and have her turn it off if this is a problem. Mine is set for manual activation but I have microphone and T-coil mixing which allows me to hear myself when I talk on the phone. It also allows me to hear my surroundings when I have the T-coil turned on. Of course everyone has a different preference so work with your audi to get it working best for you.

I am interested how the auto T-coil works once you feel comfortable giving it a try.

Ah i remember now, Steve's right, i remember at first i said to the audi, i keep hearing those buzzing sounds everywhere (everything/everywhere seems to be electrical), she checked my mappings and saw that my T-coil was on as Mix she turned it to manual so i can switch t-coil if i need it, ahhhhhhh clear as crisp in my opinion!

Also I at work we have to wear alot of polyester/nylon uniform i requested for jacket instead of pull over (fleece) because when i had the pullover my normal program disappeared when i took the processor off (lucky i had 3 other programs!), My audi said do i use tumble dryer sheets or static guard or wash my clothes with softener, I now have tumble dryer sheets in my pockets and do "wipe" down if i feel staticky (SP), wash my clothes with softener and used less tumble drying. I explained to my section manager she changed my uniform list for jacket without question also changed the tee shirts for cotton shirts without even me asking for it :)

Back