what does this sign mean?

guido

Reaction score
I've seen this sign used a lot lately, but no idea what it means. With both palms facing down, one hand arches over the other wrist, perpindicularly. It kind of looks like "night," or possibly "English," but I don't think it is. This sign is more towards the back of the wrist. Can anyone help me?

I've seen this sign used a lot lately, but no idea what it means. With both palms facing down, one hand arches over the other wrist, perpindicularly. It kind of looks like "night," or possibly "English," but I don't think it is. This sign is more towards the back of the wrist. Can anyone help me?
What is the context of its use?

Is it OVER or ACROSS?

I don't know what that sign would be. Perhaps, it was night or English? Depends on what the conversation was all about to determine if it either of those words.:dunno2:

Umm.. is the top hand pulling the bottom hand toward You? because the sign for english is as you said, except the top hand is pulling the hand under toward the person.

night is just one hand over the other, so it sounds like night.

Yeah, those were two of the first signs I ever learned. I can't believe I didn't get them.

Something just reached out and smacked me when I was reading these posts. Several times, someone has asked to have a sign identified by posting a written description, and there always seems to be some difficulty in doing so even when signers are fluent and trying to help. This is a direct parrallel to the ASL/English debates. A written English description is simply inadequate to convey all of the nuances of a visual/spatial language. One must see it to fully understand, and one must see it in context.

Something just reached out and smacked me when I was reading these posts. Several times, someone has asked to have a sign identified by posting a written description, and there always seems to be some difficulty in doing so even when signers are fluent and trying to help. This is a direct parrallel to the ASL/English debates. A written English description is simply inadequate to convey all of the nuances of a visual/spatial language. One must see it to fully understand, and one must see it in context.

Very true, You have to see it to know which sign it is.. but trying to explain the sign can work at times.. not often..

It depends on how well the person asking can explain, and our visual understanding of how they explain the signs.

Back