What does this mean?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
Less than a half-hour ago, I had the hiccups, and was intending to go to the kitchen to grab a drink. Well, I flipped on the dining room light, and saw a bright white flash, and sparks flying. I automatically shut down the light and posted a sign warning about the danger of more light bulbs exploding.

Now, they say that getting the s*** scared out of you makes the hiccups go away, and that's certainly true here, but that's besides the point. What does it mean when the lights implode like that? And when sparks start to fly?

There are a few causes for this:
1.Power surges, particularly lightning, may be responsible for a number of cases of exploding light bulbs. If too much power floods through the filament it can burst, leading to the light bulb exploding from the inside out.
2.Small damages to the make-up of a light bulb can eventually lead to an explosion.

What kind of bulbs? There was an article about foreing made CLF exploding and starting fires, do not buy forieng made CFL's only American made CFL's are safe.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

Monie17 said:
There are a few causes for this:
1.Power surges, particularly lightning, may be responsible for a number of cases of exploding light bulbs. If too much power floods through the filament it can burst, leading to the light bulb exploding from the inside out.
2.Small damages to the make-up of a light bulb can eventually lead to an explosion.

No lightning last night-- too cold. And it's supposed to snow in a few hours. Plus, we lost power a few hours earlier-- about 3 AM or so.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

sonocativo said:
What kind of bulbs? There was an article about foreing made CLF exploding and starting fires, do not buy forieng made CFL's only American made CFL's are safe.

I'll add a photo momentarily. Just got to do a couple of things.

I call BS on the government with the light bulb act... that the CFL's dont waste energy to heat like a standard bulb... Have you ever touched one after its been on for an hour or so... them things get freaking hot !!!

I call BS on the government with the light bulb act... that the CFL's dont waste energy to heat like a standard bulb... Have you ever touched one after its been on for an hour or so... them things get freaking hot !!!

The one not in my camera flash and closest to me is the one that imploded, and had sparks flying.

Attachments

• IMG_20131231_075151_0.jpg
    IMG_20131231_075151_0.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 14
i see dead people

No dead bodies here. All are alive, except for those lights. Since one imploded, I had to post a warning sign to not use it until it's been checked out by a professional, who can tell us if it'll be safe to use or not.

over a light bulb really?
just stick something metal into the socket.
you will know if it works or not

over a light bulb really?
just stick something metal into the socket.
you will know if it works or not
Only if you stand in a tub of water at the same time. ;)

Mark, do NOT do this!

From the looks of that fixture it's time to upgrade anyway. 1982 is calling its light to come home.

Back