What does "oral deaf" actually mean?

Eh, well...I meant it with the highest amount of respect I could manage. I mean, I was at a point where I could make my own choices, so I did. I blame her for the fact that I don't have many hard of hearing friends.

Malfoyish said:
...and when I did, I saw that my school was offering ASL as an elective. So I smiled, whispered to myself, "Yeah, well...fuck you, Ma...." and took the class. ;)

That's what I laugh because I like your comment for that.

I doesn't mean to upset you over that. If you do, then please take my apogisle.

I understand how you feel because you said the same as my hubby, too, that's what I respond Red Rum's post.

I think it depends on their hearing. Most "oral deafies" can hear as well as a hearing person so they are like "hard-of-hearing". However, they grow up without signing... talking orally only. Because of that, they're seen as "hearing" when they're actually deaf. I know a few people who are like that.

Liebling:-))) said:
That's what I laugh because I like your comment for that.

I doesn't mean to upset you over that. If you do, then please take my apogisle.

I understand how you feel because you said the same as my hubby, too, that's what I respond Red Rum's post.

Oh, no no, Liebling. :) I meant that part!!! You should know by now, dear, humor is my greatest weapon! LOL.

I blame her for the fact that I don't have many hard of hearing friends.
I think it's so sad that our parents were told that the best thing would be to pretend everything was fine and dandy, and not expose us to other dhh kids or send us to deaf schools or programs for the deaf. After all (sarcasm) that would be admitting that we're DIFFERENT....(meaning not a "normal Stepford suburban inhabitant....and being DIFFERENT is BAD!(/sarcasm)

deafdyke said:
I think it's so sad that our parents were told that the best thing would be to pretend everything was fine and dandy, and not expose us to other dhh kids or send us to deaf schools or programs for the deaf. After all (sarcasm) that would be admitting that we're DIFFERENT....(meaning not a "normal Stepford suburban inhabitant....and being DIFFERENT is BAD!(/sarcasm)

I'm agree it's very sad that some parents think what they do "best" for their children. They didn't know how their children feel.

Some parents push their children to do something which they doesn't feel ready. I would never do that until my children feel ready to do something themselves. I do is educate them about their future instead of push them to do something.

I 've been thinking about this for a while. A lot of people use the term "oral deaf" for anyone who has oral skills...but is that what it actually means? One of the qualifiers for getting a scholarship from AG Bell (which is THE bastion of oral deafness) is that your language preference needs to be for spoken language rather then for Sign. Yet, most oral deafies never had a choice between using ASL or English. They were forced to talk, talk, talk, talk,talk....with NO option to use ASL. Even most Deafies were (and are) forced to undergo speech and language therapy. Are most orally raised kids truely oral deaf when they didn't have a choice in how to commuicate in the first place?

Wow. I'm 47 years old. I'm reading your forum on oral deaf.
I've never heard of that deaf expression and to think there was something wrong with me all these years.
I was forced to talk. Grew up in a Catholic church. Went to a Catholic school with no interpreters. If I didn't want to go, there was the door, mama always said.
It all began when I received my first hearing aids at age 3. By the time I went to a kindergarten class that had sign language, mama snatched me outta there. Forbidden to sign.
I went deaf by 1994. I still had the luxury to speak and lip read. Yet, I've always been bewildered as to why I get that hearing on the forehead sign.
I can't help but wonder, if it was a gift or curse to be an oral deafie......

Weeelllll....for me, I think it describes me to a 'T.' I was never permitted to learn sign language when I was a child...therefore, oralism became my sole means of communication. Long story short, Mommy Malfoyish made sure that speech training was of top priority and she was fearful that learning of sign language would throw me off track...

...so being a kid, I obeyed her. Eh, what else could I do? After all, I was going to turn 18 eventually...and when I did, I saw that my school was offering ASL as an elective. So I smiled, whispered to myself, "Yeah, well...fuck you, Ma...." and took the class. ;)

The downside though is...I don't have many deaf friends off line. Most all of my buddies are hearing. :dunno:

Right there with ya. I have one deaf friend and a dozen hearing friends in the social world.
I don't bother with social media, with the exception this is a forum (hint hint).
As far as being an oral deafie, it would be nice to feel normal, instead of, "in the bubble".

Right there with ya. I have one deaf friend and a dozen hearing friends in the social world.
I don't bother with social media, with the exception this is a forum (hint hint).
As far as being an oral deafie, it would be nice to feel normal, instead of, "in the bubble".
Isn't it ironic that the assumption that being oral would allow unfettered access to the hearing community didn't work out? Speech is good for a dhh kid, but it will only ever provide PARTIAL access. It's only ONE part of the puzzle. Dhh kids deserve a well rounded upbringing with ASL, speech (if possible), and a vareity of educational, social and life experiences....Not just the kneejerk assumption that all they need is to function normally and a " typical" experience.

Raised from the dead....wow, 2004

2910225-thread_necrord.jpg

Wow, I've seen some threads on here being resurrected after a year or two, but 13 years might set a record. But hey, if it interests you and allows you to air out your thoughts, go for it!

Is the Deaf community in your area small? Or few Deaf events ? Or???

I haven't been to one here yet. Recently moved here in Washington. Planning on attending a picnic on Friday. Should be fun.
Wow, I've seen some threads on here being resurrected after a year or two, but 13 years might set a record. But hey, if it interests you and allows you to air out your thoughts, go for it!
13 is my lucky number...... :)

Many kids in Indigenous cultures have been and still are, raised to use the language of the dominant culture that surrounds them. Most people have heard the awful stories of Indian Schools to which Indian children were shipped off, then forbidden to speak in their own languages so they would be forced to learn English. On a much larger scale, in places like Guatemala, Peru, Bolivia, South Africa, etc., Indigenous parents insist their children speak the dominant language even at home once they begin school. They want their kids to get good educations and to get ahead in life. They do not want their children marginalized by poor language skills in the dominant tongue, or by a heavy Indigenous accent. Then once those same kids have succeeded, perhaps have high school diplomas or even University degrees, the family has poor communication between the generations. They feel alienated from one another and it is not always easy to pick up the Indigenous language later. I have 2 close girlfriends who are Quiché. One is a lawyer and also a teacher of both Spanish and Quiché. No problems. The other has spent all her life in her small community but her Quiché is not good. Some of the sounds are so difficult to make that she never mastered them.:dunno:

Being multi lingual is fabulous but American culture is terrible at encouraging it. Where am I going with this? I dunno, utterly confused. If I were a parent of a deaf child, or profoundly HOH, I'd want to immerse the child in both languages- ASL and English, but give the most time to the language that was easiest for them to learn. You want a child developing the language centers and building out synapses as fast as possible from 6 months to 3 years and beyond. I would not want to burden language acquisition with too much frustration. Frustration is ok in learning to a point, but it should not go to the point of discouragement and beyond. You want your child to feel smart because that actually helps them learn more.

The 'second language' whichever one that is, can be learned with the primary language as a reference point.

I once knew a hearing woman whose dad had been a diplomat and she'd lived immersed in 5 different languages by the time she was 6 years old. She never dared to venture one single word until she was 7 because she was so confused about language. Maybe it was a little like a deaf child trying to make sense of spoken language. Her folks thought she was mute. A person like that is an outlier, yet maybe there is something to learn from them....:iough:

I haven't been to one here yet. Recently moved here in Washington. Planning on attending a picnic on Friday. Should be fun.
Where in Washington? I know the Spokane Deaf community is very HOH friendly...Well the whole state is HOH friendly. Most kids who sign also talk.

Back