What Does It Mean To Be An American

Topgun

Reaction score
What is an American?

What makes you an American?

and why?

A true American is one who defends his freedom and uses his freedom. You have the right to vote and you have the right not to vote. This is part of your freedom. A person who bears these rights is an American, but not always a free American.

A free American is one who votes, obeys the law whether or not he/she likes it, and a free American shows his leaders his valued opinion.

We may not like some of the laws that are in place, but we respect them while they are laws. We have the right to disagree with the law and fight for it's removel.

We have the right to break the law and lose some of our rights.

This is what makes us Americans. Our choices and our freedom rights.

The path we choose is what makes us free Americans and or just plain old Americans.

Another thing is that a true American is one who'll stand up and fight when his/her freedom is in danger. When your future and the future of your fellow Americans are in danger then you'll stand up and fight. This has always been the greatness of being a true American.

A true American is one who defends his freedom and uses his freedom. You have the right to vote and you have the right not to vote. This is part of your freedom. A person who bears these rights is an American, but not always a free American.

A free American is one who votes, obeys the law whether or not he/she likes it, and a free American shows his leaders his valued opinion.

We may not like some of the laws that are in place, but we respect them while they are laws. We have the right to disagree with the law and fight for it's removel.

We have the right to break the law and lose some of our rights.

This is what makes us Americans. Our choices and our freedom rights.

The path we choose is what makes us free Americans and or just plain old Americans.

Another thing is that a true American is one who'll stand up and fight when his/her freedom is in danger. When your future and the future of your fellow Americans are in danger then you'll stand up and fight. This has always been the greatness of being a true American.
Please show me any evidence you can do that quickly without being arrested.

Please show me any evidence you can do that quickly without being arrested.

police_brutality01.gif

*it's a pix of police brutality

What is an American?
A person that was born within the borders of the USA, or born to parents of the USA.

What makes you an American?
I qualify under both parts of my first response.

and why?
Because I have chosen to stay in the country that I was born and raised in. My father fought for this country for 20 years of Naval service. My mother helped defend this land from Kamakazi pilots and Nazi Blitzkreig by assisting in the manufacture of war equipment. Their votes help determine the direction our country took during the 40's, 50's, and 60's. My vote has done the same since the mid 70's. I can look around and see ugliness in some Americans, and some parts of America, but not nearly enough to make me even consider living anywhere else.

You're talking about basic human rights. Being an American simply means to be born and grow up in American society. Which is multi-faceted and one man's experience can be different from the others.

A Texan CattleRancher for example leads a completely different life than from say, a Vineyard Farmer in California.

Being an American to me, simply means things like you eat american food, you listen to american types of music, etc.

Following laws, etc is kind of stupid, no offense, because you can say that in every country " as long as you follow the laws, etc".

There are fundamentals, such as freedom of speech, right to bear arms, that can be included as what it is to be american.

But following laws, seems kinda simple minded and shallow when it comes to describing what is an american.

My avatar.

Too many damn people are listening to talk shows, placing trust in their favourite media outlet and quoting books.

too many damn Americans do not even know their Constitution and American history.... and yet they claim to be patriotic :roll:

too many damn Americans do not even know their Constitution and American history.... and yet they claim to be patriotic :roll:

ALOT of americans, from every race/creed/income level do not know the american constitution. I would agree with you on that it is required for someone to do so.... but not in the sense as to "follow the law". But it is the foundation of the United States.

The History was written by the victors and in some ways it is false and otherwise ugly. The Founders themselves had slaves...... then there's truly ugly moments like the trail of tears, etc. So I can see how its hard for some americans to read the history. Like Lewis & Clark, if you read history they'd have you believe that they "conquered" the "wild frontier" when the native americans(1st americans) were here for thousands and thousands of years. They just lived to co-exist with their surroundings instead of plowing everything down for 3 story buildings as they did in new york/eastern seaboard.

Patriotism differs from one man to the other. Others think it is blindly supporting your country no matter what it does. Then others is criticizing and more importantly, correcting the problems of America.

Some people blur the lines between patriotism and nationalism, and the former aint too nice.

Broke , jobless, and , homeless! The number of homeless people is going up!
This country is going down the tube !

Thank Obama for that.

what the..

i know this is a free country and all, but your obsession with obama is getting out of hand. i don't understand this at all. i know republicans (hell, my own parents are republicans) who dislike obama, but they aren't as extreme as you. you have some serious underlying issues with yourself that you need to work out on. is it because you're racist? if not, what IS it?

what the..

i know this is a free country and all, but your obsession with obama is getting out of hand. i don't understand this at all. i know republicans (hell, my own parents are republicans) who dislike obama, but they aren't as extreme as you. you have some serious underlying issues with yourself that you need to work out on. is it because you're racist? if not, what IS it?

Agreed; but a reminder that he got out of hand a looooong time ago. :) I'm pretty sure that the only two words in his vocabulary are "Obama bad". :P No offense, Koko. :)

Anyway, I just thought I'd say that. I'll get out of this thread now as I'm not an American and don't have an opinion on the subject.

what the..

Yup, man.

Thanks to Bush for ruin our country.

Right winger man isn't true American, hehe.

It's not about Obama ...it's about his desire to elevate himself above other deafies....as hitler tried to elevate himself about other jews.
a self hatred for jews because he was gay.........
a self hatred of his deafness cuz he thinks it makes him dumb.
in other words...INSECUREin his deafness
go bother some hearing people Mr Anally obssessed.

what the..

Don't know the Consitution? Sure, that includes VP Biden. He said recently that "Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we’ve had probably in American history. The idea he doesn’t realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that’s the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that."
Sarah Palin and Joe Biden Complete Debate Transcript | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

The problem with his statement is that Article I discusses the Legislative Branch when it is Article II that discusses the Executive Branch. Article I defines the role of Vice President as the President of the Senate, which is technically the Legislative Branch. The Constitution states that the Vice President is always the President of the Senate, in Article I, Section 3:
The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Of all people Biden got this one wrong about the U.S. Constitution's own Articles and he's the vice president of the United States?

Back