what do you want teachers to know??

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
Hi all,

My friend and I are presenting to a class on November 11th. The topic is "making university classrooms accessible". The class is future university-level instructors.

So...my question is:

If you could make a list of the things you wish your teachers had known prior to you arriving in the room on the first day, what would the list include?

Mine would included things like:
1. don't keep asking me if I can hear!
2. don't announce to the class you have to wear a special microphone so the girl in the front can hear! (this really happened) :roll:

Thanks in advance!

1. Talk to your student, not the interpreter.

2. Don't tell an interpreter, "Wait! Don't interpret that!" An interpreter's job is to facilitate communication.

3. If you have a d/Deaf or HoH student who lipreads, stand so that you're facing the window -- not the student.

4. Do not speak loudly or overenunciate. Speak clearly so that you can be understood.

5. Use as many visual cues/visual aids as possible.

6. Reinforce important points of a lesson/lecture so they are not missed.

7. When doing group work, it's helpful to use circle seating so the d/Deaf or HoH student has an easier time lipreading and/or observing other classmates.

8. When writing on the chalkboard, don't turn your back to the d/Deaf or HoH student while you are talking.

9. From time to time, ask your d/Deaf or HoH student if they are having any difficulty hearing/accessing/understanding classroom/lecture information. Some d/Deaf or HoH students are more assertive than others.

10. Most importantly, remember that your d/Deaf or HoH student is just like any other student and have the same capabilities as their hearing counterparts. The only difference is that they can't hear.

The teachers should know that ANY disability does require some extra attention, that's all. If one doesn't require enough attention, it's possible that you lost the student lurking in the dream world.

* Don't assume that the deaf student won't understand the terminology that is associated with the subject.

* Be patient with the deaf student that is asking the question to you via the interpreter. Allow the interpreter to complete the translation before answering the student's question.

* Don't go "easy" on the deaf student nor single them out in class. Ask the tough questions to the deaf students.

* Involve the student.

Back