What do you think of the Relay service?

bvallee

Reaction score
What do you think of the relay service? How is it viewed by the deaf community? These questions are for a paper I am doing for my ASL class at Northeastern University, Boston, MA. It would be helpful if I could get the hearing and the hard of hearing's opinion! Thanks ~Brittney

First thing that came to mind when I saw this topic was "ah shit!"

What do I think of relay? It sucks!

What specific form of relay is your paper on? State relay services, IP relay services, video relay services? What sort of information and opinions are you looking for? There is alot to cover.

I'm a TRS operator, so maybe I can be of assistance to you. ;)

to answer patrick's quesition

I need information about any type of relay service out there, which is the best and worst relay service. Thanks for your reply! ~Britt

VRS is no doubt the best type out there. It is the only true relay service that gives the impression of functional equivalency. Sorry if that seems vague, but its hard to answer off such a general question. What sort of responses are you looking for? Like experiences through relay, effectiveness of communication, call processing, frustrations, etc?

As regards State Relay services, technology has rendered the TTY almost obsolete and these machines are gathering dust everywhere which shows yet another example of the elephantine speed at which States offer the latest products. That is as politely as I can put it.

I have no doubt that one of the reasons relay companies are allowing state relay to go obsolete is to pressure relay consumers to use internet based relay services so, because they are far more profitable.

Wow! Seems that single VRS calls you have recieved have the lasting impression on you! Honestly, before I got the VP, I thought TRS would still be better than VRS. Now I know TRS SUCKS MAJORILY TIME! It took me only 1 minute to find out the truth abour VP, and I am finished with TRS.

BTW, have you thought of learning sign language and eventually start work for one of VRS provider, eh? That would be real cool! Because you already have the relay service experience, and I am sure you would let the hearing caller know by saying this... "NO NO! this is FAR better than TRS, relax! no need to say GA or SK, and just speak normal speed! "

cental34 said:
First thing that came to mind when I saw this topic was "ah shit!"

What do I think of relay? It sucks!

I'm a TRS operator, so maybe I can be of assistance to you. ;)

diehardbiker65 said:
Wow! Seems that single VRS calls you have recieved have the lasting impression on you! Honestly, before I got the VP, I thought TRS would still be better than VRS. Now I know TRS SUCKS MAJORILY TIME! It took me only 1 minute to find out the truth abour VP, and I am finished with TRS.

BTW, have you thought of learning sign language and eventually start work for one of VRS provider, eh? That would be real cool! Because you already have the relay service experience, and I am sure you would let the hearing caller know by saying this... "NO NO! this is FAR better than TRS, relax! no need to say GA or SK, and just speak normal speed! "

I've actually heavily considered it. It would be cool, and I'm sure my experience in TRS gives me some sort of leverage, but I'm just getting started learning ASL, and I've got a long way to go before I'm even going to consider options like interpreting or VRS. If you ask me, I think its a bit too late for me to consider such options.

Bit too late? Are you planning your retirement within 5 years, eh? Its your choice though.

cental34 said:
I've actually heavily considered it. It would be cool, and I'm sure my experience in TRS gives me some sort of leverage, but I'm just getting started learning ASL, and I've got a long way to go before I'm even going to consider options like interpreting or VRS. If you ask me, I think its a bit too late for me to consider such options.

Haha. No, I'm just a novice student now, and I'm sure it will take quite a few years for me to even become comfortable with conversational ASL, then there is the certification program, and then many VRS companies require a certain number of interpreting experience. I think it'd be a different case if I already somewhat knew ASL by now, or had already started instruction, but I'm just getting started.

Okay, sure they require certifications, and other BS documents. Hoever, you DO have one big advantage... EXPERIENCE! Those who got certification without experience as relay operator won't have the advantages like you got. I wouldn't worry about employment outlook for these kind of jobs because of its extraordinary high demand.

cental34 said:
Haha. No, I'm just a novice student now, and I'm sure it will take quite a few years for me to even become comfortable with conversational ASL, then there is the certification program, and then many VRS companies require a certain number of interpreting experience. I think it'd be a different case if I already somewhat knew ASL by now, or had already started instruction, but I'm just getting started.

I have experience in TRS, but does that really compare to already certified, and experienced in interpreters? I understand that there is high demand, and I'm sure the fact there is a long process and qualifications has something to do with it.

Your'e right, Cental; no sense in beating around the bush; your experience is only a back door to this whole world and ifn ya cain't sign, well, ..........you know da rest! Hang in there, tho if this is really something ya wanna do.

o.o

Relay Service in our area sucks a lot. I normally just use my cell. XD TEXT MESSAGE POWER. well. phone relay service sucks. i always try to compare the messages and they're almost never the same. i wonder why..o.othey should be, shouldn't they? and i feel kind of ... what's the word.. invaded in privacy, it's like people are READING YOUR PHONES, MAN. ect, ect. i'm all paranoid and such. so i don't go for it xD. besides, i e-mail everything now xP

Hey, I understand there is no VRS in your country. Hope someday there will be VRS available for your home country. Once you experience VRS, you won't believe what your seeing or hearing.

catalyse said:
Relay Service in our area sucks a lot. I normally just use my cell. XD TEXT MESSAGE POWER. well. phone relay service sucks. i always try to compare the messages and they're almost never the same. i wonder why..o.othey should be, shouldn't they? and i feel kind of ... what's the word.. invaded in privacy, it's like people are READING YOUR PHONES, MAN. ect, ect. i'm all paranoid and such. so i don't go for it xD. besides, i e-mail everything now xP

crazed-wolf said:
ok i'm confuzzled....what do letters...trs vp vsr....what they mean???

TRS-Telecommunication Relay Service (or TeleRelay Service)
VP-Video Phone
VRS-Video Relay Service

Shall I continue with GA, SK, and QQ qq

Back