What do you think of ASL (American Sign Language)?

more over, more young people get a buzz, when they have 'small oppurtunity' to sign or try read sign (as long that Deaf person is freindly and 'welcoming hearies's curiousity' )...you'd be surprised it arent that hard...so like stop being conspicious about being deaf...hell half the town people (even in a small city of 100,000) knows im deaf and im quite ok in my skins, and they seem to know it...all comes down to vibes too you know? people somehow Knows how you feel about yourself, whether youre deaf, or hearing or blind, or uses wheelchair...no im not Entirely happy but im getting there better than ive been in the past...

as for the thread's title im not entirely comfy with ASL's fingerspells...too much of a blur...its too weird...and i'd dare say it embodys a slightly (and i mean slightly) too much of 'need to show you understand English"....as in fingerspells being used intermitting...
but,...hmmm dont get me wrong...i do have ability to think in other ways like, its actually a good thing too....cuz like you can Talk about 'word' as subject...as often showned in you-tubes self-presentations on issues...so i can't say "drop it entirely' across board it is neeeded , but theoritically i do wonder though...but then again you can't pull it out of the historical context right out of the social contextual either...these are interwined..(and lingusiically as well).. i suppose then, if i was an american id probably think its a godsend, (probably is!)...and or if i had chance to really learn it from being freinds and around american Deafs..then i d might change the way i FEEL about ASL fingerspells as an intergral part of ASL itself, outside of fingerspells ASL is superb no qualms , not one bit...
that's my take on it, hope you'd see the angle(s) im from...
Cheers

ASL gives you more visual and imaginative to communication with people. ASL is no different than spoken languages, especially another sign languages.

you are not enough skill ! you learn how skill learn best communication! :wave: you are advise, you are forget mind! `xd!

no, im not an american, i dont do ASL...i have a more British -type sign

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

"What do you think of ASL?"

Personally I think it would be more productive if people who actually are ASLers and familiar with ASL commented instead of people who never use it, or use a completely different sign language.

Saying you don't like ASL fingerspelling because it's confusing and blurry - because you're a BSL user isn't helpful.

Heck, if you ask ASLers what we think of BSL fingerspelling we'd comment that it's very slow and tedious compared to ASL - that doesn't mean one is better or worse, just different.

Really? I was with group of at least 5 Canadian Deaf people.
I asked what is a sign for 'coffee'. they showed me a sign for coffee (two fist rubbing, one on top of the other).
I asked then what is a sign for 'caffeine' - they showed me the exact same sign, or fingerspelled.
I asked what is a sign for 'decaffeinated' - no sign for decaffeinated,
just fingerspelling.

Maybe because it happened in the mid 90-ties?

Fuzzy

My Deaf club says the sign for decaf coffee is using the sign for "d" and signing coffee. As opposed to 2 "s" hands grinding the coffee beans, it's 2 "d" hands grinding the coffee beans.

Not sure how correct they are, but that's what I was told.

I'm doing a small research and I want to see what you think of ASL. What does it means to you? What's your perspective on signing? What's your value towards ASL? Do you think it should be offer in all schools?

You've got some splendid questions! I love it when there are questions that makes us think out of the box.

1) What does ASL mean to me?

Even though English is my first language, ASL is a language to me that I feel natural with. It's almost as if ASL is my native language. ASL to me is the best language that anybody can have because it really helps you look deeper in to the dialogue of the conversation by "painting a picture".

2) What's my perspective on signing?

My perspective on signing is that it does in fact empower yourself with no limits. What I mean is that, with signing, you are able to use it at any ages. Signing should be treated with respect and embrace it.

3) What's my value towards ASL?

There are no words that can describe how I value ASL. Not only it should be from a historic viewpoint, but to value ASL, it is a language where everyone should be at ease to use without thinking that it is underrated. It isn't underrated at any form.

4) Do I think it should be offered in all schools?

Yes, it should be offered in all school at all levels.

Back