What do you think Deaf get CDI?

ideafspy

Reaction score
I have learned about CDI (Conduct for Deaf Interpreter) that Deaf person interpreter to Deaf. I don’t know how that’s work and it’s not recognized yet. I do not know which state that if you know that already recognized. Share with us if you are one of them. It’s just interesting about that kind Deaf can do job but while have two interpreter to client and that costs money includes? Do you support that idea to have Interpreter to CDI and then to client? I am just curious.
:type:

I have learned about CDI (Conduct for Deaf Interpreter) that Deaf person interpreter to Deaf. I don’t know how that’s work and it’s not recognized yet. I do not know which state that if you know that already recognized. Share with us if you are one of them. It’s just interesting about that kind Deaf can do job but while have two interpreter to client and that costs money includes? Do you support that idea to have Interpreter to CDI and then to client? I am just curious.
:type:

Let me get this straight...

Are you saying a CDI is the intermediary between an interpreter (assuming certified or maybe not???) and the client or recipient? So in other words, the interpreter takes what the hearing person said and sends it on to the CDI who in turns sends it on to the recipient. Ummm...I really want to understand what the CDI's role is in this setup to justify the longer communication loop.

I am sorry that I didn’t explain earlier. What you just said that correct. It is how interpreter and CDI will work together interpreting to client or person. So the person will understanding better; if the interpreter signs that does fit to client do get not enough learning or disability learning that require get second interpreter be CDI that probably most for college and court. It’s might not for work or job because probably expecting to learn and improve understand communicate skill or something like that? Like its is new CDI and it’s not yet recognized.

CDI will apply for Deaf person who wear the shoe from the begin aged probably 2 year old. While the interpreter start wear their gloves and sign aged start 20’s. Right now, its start 16 year old or older due the high school starts teaching the classroom.

Here the information that what we can do who is eligible.

Benefits of using a Deaf Interpreter:
• Optimal understanding by all parties

• Efficient use of time and resources

• Clarification of linguistic and/or cultural information to reduce misunderstanding(s)

Deaf consumers who may require a Deaf interpreter:

• Deaf immigrants

• Deaf persons who have been socially isolated (ie. From rural areas, inmates of mental facilities or prisons)

• Deaf Plus (mentally ill, developmentally delayed, educationally deprived)

• A Deaf person who is not comfortable with hearing people

• A Deaf person who is seriously ill, injured or dying (the Deaf person’s ability to produce signs clearly or use both arms when signing may be affected)

• Deaf children who have not been exposed or who may have had limited exposure to English and/or ASL

more information: http://www.chs.ca/services/ois/pdf/GuidelinesForDI.pdf

Also you can search google: Conduct for Deaf Interpreter

Let me get this straight...

Are you saying a CDI is the intermediary between an interpreter (assuming certified or maybe not???) and the client or recipient? So in other words, the interpreter takes what the hearing person said and sends it on to the CDI who in turns sends it on to the recipient. Ummm...I really want to understand what the CDI's role is in this setup to justify the longer communication loop.

Ahhh...much better! I can see where this might be useful.

Interesting concept!

Thanks.

In America, we call "CDI" as Certificated Deaf Interpreters.

It helps those Deaf clients who don't understand the culture of Hearing people-- when they speak idioms or attitude that the Deaf client may overlook because the hearing interpreter just signs word for word-- no facial expression (we all have at least one interpreter who just don't do interpreting justice!) or cultural senstivity... so a CDI is being put in between to HELP the deaf client to understand everything...
Basically CDI does all the "thinking/translating" and give yout eh final product in ASL...

I am not against hearing interpreters (I do use them!) but MANY MANY of them got stuck in signing in linear grammar (No SEE signs but just in order of English!) because they are trying to relay the whole message to let the Deaf client to figure out---but unfortunately sometime the Deaf client got tired of trying to think what the hell the interpreter was saying. Can you imagine doing this when you are undergoing a surgery??? You just DON'T want to worry about misunderstanding the English interpreter so CDI is just there to be your brains-- sort of a "buffer".

I am striving to get certifcated for deaf-interpreting because I think it will help so much in medical situations where communication just get lost when a hospital dispatchs a poor interpreter (happened to me once-- that is how I got into this whole thing).
Especially in the situations where a Deaf person doesn't get a lot of exposure to interpreters (Deaf schools, deaf family, etc) and didn't know how to decode the interpreter.

This is just a way to guarantee that there are NO misunderstanding!

(A CDI was able to finally "rescue" a Deaf person out of a mental instituation by accurately translating what this client said because the original hearing interpreter presented this Deaf client as a mental retard but really it was the original interpreter that MISUNDERSTOOD the Deaf person's remarks. Tragic!)

not everybody needs a CDI-- right but it is strongly felt that all interpreter companies should send BOTH hearing and CDI and have the CDI *determine* if the Deaf client can relay on the hearing interpreter alone...

For many years, the hearing interpreter *REFUSED* to ask for a CDI because they are AFRAID that CDIs will take their jobs. Many hearing interpreters do have ego probloems-- they think they can understand EVERY DEAF PERSON, but really-- there is no one person for everybody. Some have different preferences, different styles of signing, etc. So often the hearing interpreter just TRIED and TRIED to understand the Deaf client and WASTED TIME-- when a CDI can be assigned and solve the matter in less a day.

It is a cultural thing. Deaf naturally feel more comfortable with Deaf people in serious situtations. Hearing interpreters should be aware and allow the CDIs to work-- Hearing interpreters need to WORK TOGETHER with a CDI... if they are very produ to be part of Deaf community then they shouldn't be ashamed to have a CDI-- it doesn't mean they are lousy interpreters. It is just that they cannot do everything at once-- english to asl, hearing culture to deaf culture, emphasis what is the POINT of message, and then trying to understand what the Deaf client says. CDI cannot do the job alone-- duh they are Deaf!
So there are a lot of resistance from the hearing interpreters to accept CDIs. Really sad because it makes you thinking-- that they are just in this field for $$$, rather than helping and working *FOR* the Deaf community.

Back