What do you suppose is main reason of problem with English..

~ might be more math, physic, chemistry and stuff like that oriented
Nope, am more into English....even taught myself to read!

To support Magatsu's post......DODAs are the high acheivers, and many of them go to schools for the Deaf. Also, here in the US the early intervention system may not be set up for dhh kids....Like a lot of times parents may only have access to general special ed EI stuff....like speech therapists who only know a handful of Sign, placement in a general sped "Headstart" type program and other things that can and do impede the development of literacy!

I believe that the best way for deaf students to study in a foreign language in order to improve their skill such as German and Spanish. It makes their brain working hard. It's up to the kids to make a decision whether to study it as long as the school does not require them to take the foreign class. That would make a big difference.

Webexplorer.....I wonder how deaf education would improve if they took an English as a Second Language approach to teaching English?

deafdyke said:
Webexplorer.....I wonder how deaf education would improve if they took an English as a Second Language approach to teaching English?

I have some deaf friends (Americans) studied in the foreign language, and their English language is excellence. It does not make them really smart. They finally understood the difference between English and the foreign language. It is an interesting about ASL, but it is not related to a 'text' book. It is a perfect example of what kuifje75 and Liebling:))) explained on their post.

Actually, I assume that some ADers who never took the foreign language have good in English. Perhaps, they have taught in a better school or spent a lot of time reading on the internet.

sometimes I blame the southern people who talked country
and sometimes I blame my family who sometimes speak ebonics.
And I blame some deaf people who speak ASL

so it is difficult me to learn the right english.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
sometimes I blame the southern people who talked country
and sometimes I blame my family who sometimes speak ebonics.
And I blame some deaf people who speak ASL

so it is difficult me to learn the right english.
well, you can go to a local community college, and take English as second language. Since you're insulting some of ADers who are using ASL only, I am learning how to read more ASL signs because after high school, I can't always rely on SEE terps and I know that I will have ASL terps. my brain can transform ASL signs into my SEE method of progressing real English, and that is why I use English as my primary language.

Of course, that way Miss P would have gotten better in English at a community college. Maybe, she could try to take a foreign language to see what happens. It should be fun for her to be challenge... so that she would not be treated like a dog in a hearing world.

rjr2006 said:
...I am learning how to read more ASL signs because after high school, I can't always rely on SEE terps and I know that I will have ASL terps. ..
:topic: for a minute, please.

You don't have to use an ASL terp in college. You can request a SEE terp.

Most of the terps that work at the local college here sign CASE for the students. CASE is Conceptually Accurate Signed English. It is often used in educational settings. It incorporates many initialized signs that relate to the subject being taught.

It is common for terps to chat with the students in ASL before and after class. Then, switch to CASE during class.

The students choose their sign preference; ASL, PSE, CASE, SEE, whatever.

when i hire the interpreters for my meeting, they always ask what type of language do i prefer for them to interpreter. they go like "ASL or SEE ?" you can ask the interpreter what language do u prefer. they wud be happy to terp ya !

Back