What do you do when hearing people ask you rude questions?

Strong

Reaction score
I have been asked a multitude of questions about my hearing loss. Some of them include, "can you talk?" Of course, I'm not mute. "Why does your speech sound funny?" Then why does your hair look funny? (She has a disease that causes hair loss). "Oh really? You got an A+ in Calculus?" I'm glad you got a F in the same class too.

What are the rudest questions people have asked you regarding your deafness/CI/hearing loss? What do you say in response?

I think it would be wrong for hearing people to ask whether deaf people can drive. You see, many deaf people have cars with turbocharged engine. That is very important because I cannot hear engine VROOM if it's not turbocharged. That is why I think turbocharged engines are cool. I can hear them VROOM!!!

I've seen some unbelievably rude people-- I saw a girl who obnoxiously mouthed "Caaan youuu taalk?" as if the person she was communicating with was mentally incapacitated. Argh

You could say " My speech only sound this way when I am around rude or stupid people."

I've seen some unbelievably rude people-- I saw a girl who obnoxiously mouthed "Caaan youuu taalk?" as if the person she was communicating with was mentally incapacitated. Argh

Omg, I hate people who act this way. Really, we are just as capable as everyone else. At my school, when I first bought two cookies from a cafe, I would go up to the cashier and tell her what I'm purchasing. The first time, she didn't get me, so I repeated and said "TWO", not "three" (many people get this mixed up). After this encounter, whenever she sees me, she would say, "TWO?" *puts two fingers up* in such a condescending tone. I wish I could say some nasty things to her but the main issue is that she is loved by everyone at my school.

"Is there a way where you can do the show with out a headset? Or go do something else that doesn't involve a headset?" - this is for my theatre... I got asked this a couple of times and they know I can't hear well.

I've never had anyone ask "rude" questions about about my hearing. But rude is rather relative, I'm not embarrassed at all about so I'm not sensitive or defensive about, I usually think of questions as curious rather than rude. There are stupid questions, but that if they're asking stupid questions they must not be very bright, but still I think if then as dumb, not rude lol

Let me ask you this: What kind of people usually ask the rude questions?

In my 40+ years of dealing with this, people from low-income, blue-collar community type backgrounds usually are the ones asking questions like that. I lived in such a community for many years.

After moving to more economically developed areas with people more likely to have advanced educational backgrounds, the rate of such questions is much lower.

And, to answer your question: If I am asked such questions, I usually reply with a very sarcastic answer. Unfortunately dumb people cannot figure out sarcasm either.

Omg, I hate people who act this way. Really, we are just as capable as everyone else. At my school, when I first bought two cookies from a cafe, I would go up to the cashier and tell her what I'm purchasing. The first time, she didn't get me, so I repeated and said "TWO", not "three" (many people get this mixed up). After this encounter, whenever she sees me, she would say, "TWO?" *puts two fingers up* in such a condescending tone. I wish I could say some nasty things to her but the main issue is that she is loved by everyone at my school.

You could put up two fingers and say "Peace to you too" that might made her feel embarrassed . Just because she "is loved by everyone in school" it does not give her the rights to rude to you.

In my 40+ years of dealing with this, people from low-income, blue-collar community type backgrounds usually are the ones asking questions like that. I lived in such a community for many years.

After moving to more economically developed areas with people more likely to have advanced educational backgrounds, the rate of such questions is much lower.

And, to answer your question: If I am asked such questions, I usually reply with a very sarcastic answer. Unfortunately dumb people cannot figure out sarcasm either.
Right on the button!....Dealt with so many of these ignorant people....they are embarrassed to find out that they are actually "dumber" than you....:giggle:

Actually, this is true. I can't think of a time where a person who has much advanced educational backgrounds has asked me a rude question. This insight is spot on.

Actually, this is true. I can't think of a time where a person who has much advanced educational backgrounds has asked me a rude question. This insight is spot on.

I had, I really don't think having an advanced educational backgrounds will mean a person will not be rude or snotty. And not all blue collars people are rude. Some one my nicest clients where blue collars people and I had some very snotty rich clients.

Idk if its rude...but even now that i am hearing people ask me stuff like...can you read? How did you learn to write of you were deaf? Wow how can you be smart if you were deaf? I seriously dont know of they are rude lr juat dumb questions.

Idk if its rude...but even now that i am hearing people ask me stuff like...can you read? How did you learn to write of you were deaf? Wow how can you be smart if you were deaf? I seriously dont know of they are rude lr juat dumb questions.

The next time a person ask a dumb question about your hearing you could ask " How did you learn how to read without a brain."

When people ask me rude questions, I just reply back rudely or with intense sarcasm. Usually the sarcasm does the trick. I don't let them get to me, I just let it roll off of my back and forget about it. Not going to let them get under my skin.

"Is there a way where you can do the show with out a headset? Or go do something else that doesn't involve a headset?" - this is for my theatre... I got asked this a couple of times and they know I can't hear well.

Same here. I hate going to movies where I come in telling them I'm deaf and ask for closed captions and they give me headphones....... like really???? :roll:

Same here. I hate going to movies where I come in telling them I'm deaf and ask for closed captions and they give me headphones....... like really???? :roll:

Same thing happened to me. Lol, my brother was cussing at the person who handed me the headphones. It was too funny watching him cursing.

Never was asked any rude questions, more like comments that are obviously misinformed observation off the top of their heads. Sometimes a hint is given with an equally ridiculous answer but not worth stooping to their low standards and dragging on something pointless. Sad it's bound to happen, If it isn't constructive criticism, then I'll treat it as mindless opinion...

Back