***what do u do when ur doctor calls u retarded cuz you cant understand his speech**

deafannieboo

Reaction score
:wtf:

GET THIS GUYS!!!!!!! IM IRRATE!! PLEASE EVERYONE PITCH IN ON THIS ONE FOR ME!!!

I wanted to get ur take on this... I went to E.R. about 5am today. when i registered i informed the nurses to put on my chart that i am deaf and they did so. well the doctor came in who i think is of african decent(hard to lip read/understand), and with a bad attitude starts talking to me. well i told him "im sorry sir what? i didnt understand u" he makes a rude face and starts mimiking like he was retarded (short of tapping his hand on his chest) and talking rudely slow! IN OTHER WORDS CALLING ME RETARDED,he knew i am deaf and acted that way. well i lost my cool and hollard at him to get the hell out and get my discharge papers ready now!
I couldnt beleive a physician would do something like that!!! i am sooo hurt and furious! on top of that right before he did that he told me he was sending me home and asked if i wanted a shot of morphine for pain before he discharged me. i said no sir not if ur sending me home now im driving. and he snapped at me and said do u want the shot or not!?! i refused again.
first off its illegal to give i.m. or i.v. narcotics and discharge a patient when they are driving!!! then he has the nerve to act like im retarded cuz i cant understand his speech!!!! wtf?

im just goin crazy that a professional did that! i really dont want to confront him on it because im sick right now and waaayyyy to mad. i just know if i see that guy again ill sock him in eye!! Any advice on a way to get him in trouble for it that doesnt require me to have to see him again??

feel free to offer any professional advice if anyone has any.... thanx guys!:hmm:

:wtf:

GET THIS GUYS!!!!!!! IM IRRATE!! PLEASE EVERYONE PITCH IN ON THIS ONE FOR ME!!!

I wanted to get ur take on this... I went to E.R. about 5am today. when i registered i informed the nurses to put on my chart that i am deaf and they did so. well the doctor came in who i think is of african decent(hard to lip read/understand), and with a bad attitude starts talking to me. well i told him "im sorry sir what? i didnt understand u" he makes a rude face and starts mimiking like he was retarded (short of tapping his hand on his chest) and talking rudely slow! IN OTHER WORDS CALLING ME RETARDED,he knew i am deaf and acted that way. well i lost my cool and hollard at him to get the hell out and get my discharge papers ready now!
I couldnt beleive a physician would do something like that!!! i am sooo hurt and furious! on top of that right before he did that he told me he was sending me home and asked if i wanted a shot of morphine for pain before he discharged me. i said no sir not if ur sending me home now im driving. and he snapped at me and said do u want the shot or not!?! i refused again.
first off its illegal to give i.m. or i.v. narcotics and discharge a patient when they are driving!!! then he has the nerve to act like im retarded cuz i cant understand his speech!!!! wtf?

im just goin crazy that a professional did that! i really dont want to confront him on it because im sick right now and waaayyyy to mad. i just know if i see that guy again ill sock him in eye!! Any advice on a way to get him in trouble for it that doesnt require me to have to see him again??

feel free to offer any professional advice if anyone has any.... thanx guys!:hmm:

He seems like a retard for wanting to "kill you" if its illegal to give this out to someone when they're gonna drive its for a reason..what an imbecile! then again..this could totally give you a reason to sue them for him trying to do something like that...ugh sorry that happened!

Last edited:
File a complaint with the Licensing board...I cant remember the name. Medical association something...

File a complaint with the Licensing board...I cant remember the name. Medical association something...

Yep. The State Medical Board. I would also file a complaint with the ethics committee of the licensing board. And file a complaint against the hospital that employs him. Send letters to the Human Resources dept. of the hospital, and the Chief of Staff of the hospital. Wouldn't hurt to send a letter to the editor of the local newspaper describing the experience, either.

Don't blame ya for being angry! I would be livid if a doctor treated me like that....no matter if he was having a bad day or whatever!

Report him is about all you can do, I think!.....

In an emergency, I would have a family member there to help me communicate.

I assume this is not your doctor, and that you don't have problems on a regular office visit?

You should be able to request an interpreter, and if you don't sign, you can get an interpreter to speak the doctor's words so you can read lips. Under the ADA it is your right.

gosh thanks guys!!!! great advice!!!! i will go tomm and look into ur suggestions. imbisile is right!!!! well in small town i live in u have to request interpreter and sometimes they dont get there for like two hrs or more. i live in sm border town sw texas. the mentality here is horrible. gosh i am soo sick and in pain today. it made me cry in the car guys!!! just like everything overwhelmed me all at once! im sick in pain, i havent slept since night before last and havent eaten since yest. and then this PR_CK has the nerve to pick on me when i been curled in ball in pain all night and 6 hrs in E.R.! god forgive him cuz i wont!

Wouldn't hurt to send a letter to the editor of the local newspaper describing the experience, either.

good point about the newspaper! i quess since im a writer ill do the story myself and publish it. itll have to wait till the pain meds wear down a bit ! lol:ty:

good point about the newspaper! i quess since im a writer ill do the story myself and publish it. itll have to wait till the pain meds wear down a bit ! lol:ty:

Oh, yeah! Definately wait for those meds to wear off!:giggle:

You are quite welcome.

gosh thanks guys!!!! great advice!!!! i will go tomm and look into ur suggestions. imbisile is right!!!! well in small town i live in u have to request interpreter and sometimes they dont get there for like two hrs or more. i live in sm border town sw texas. the mentality here is horrible. gosh i am soo sick and in pain today. it made me cry in the car guys!!! just like everything overwhelmed me all at once! im sick in pain, i havent slept since night before last and havent eaten since yest. and then this PR_CK has the nerve to pick on me when i been curled in ball in pain all night and 6 hrs in E.R.! god forgive him cuz i wont!

He obviously lacks respect for his patients or doesnt have any understanding of diversity. He needs to return to school to take some sensitivity classes.

He obviously lacks respect for his patients or doesnt have any understanding of diversity. He needs to return to school to take some sensitivity classes.

Agreed. That could be something that annieboo requests in her letters to Human Resources and the Chief of Staff. Continuing ed for all ER personel in diversity. The hospital should be providing that anyway!

wow, that is s-<blank - fill in w/your own word> !!:mad:
But I think sadly very common, yet no excuse!

Sometimes lack of resources makes things sooo much more difficult.
Am sorry you were treated soooo unkindly, annie! <how u like your name?> I agree with everyone to send complaints!
:hug:

I wish you feel better soon!

1-Notify State Licencing Board

2-Make formal complaint/greivence with hospital

3-Speak with attorney regarding abuse or ADA violation.

Did you get the doctor's name? It should on be your discharge paper , if you can read it! I would file a complant again the doctor and report him him to
the hosiptal! That doctor should not be allow to work there! I bet he did this to other HOH people and deaf people and got away with it! Go after the SOB! I agree it is very hard to lip read people from other countries ! And if they have a facial hair covering their lips forget!
See if you can sues him too for violated of your rights! The news may like to heard about it too!

Please keep us up dated on this! I want to see that doctor pay for how he treated you! I bet your parents are B S!

I'm sorry that you were treated so poorly. There is no excuse for the dr's behavior. I agree that you should file a grievance with the hospital and state medical board.

Here's a link to a deaf advocacy group in Texas:

Advocacy, Inc. - Deaf Advocacy Project

Call them first. If they can't assist you, they can probably refer you to the appropriate place.

Back