What do deaf people say that bothers you as a deaf person?

MMmmm.

As a hoh person I have been insulted by SOME Deaf people.

I was called A fence straddler. Due to I chose to be involved in both.

The particular ones insisted that I choose one or the other. Those particular ones.... I no longer associate with.

MMmmm.

As a hoh person I have been insulted by SOME Deaf people.

I was called A fence straddler. Due to I chose to be involved in both.

The particular ones insisted that I choose one or the other. Those particular ones.... I no longer associate with.

Oh the same with me! The worse was the sign of "hearing" to the forehead with the index finer.....

What I mean by both by having hearing friends and by using my speech.

They even scooped so low by signing to me with the (hearing sign against the forehead instead of the chin)

Now I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I'm saying. I do love being around my deaf friends but one does have to weed out the negative ones.

They even scooped so low by signing to me with the (hearing sign against the forehead instead of the chin)

Now I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I'm saying. I do love being around my deaf friends but one does have to weed out the negative ones.

Yes we do....:)

Oh the same with me! The worse was the sign of "hearing" to the forehead with the index finer.....

Experience that too...Life isnt all peaches and cream. We just have to make the best of our experiences. :)

Yes! It is totally insulting when one wants to exclude you because of the fact one can speak or associate with hearing people.

I feel that is discriminating.

Yes! It is totally insulting when one wants to exclude you because of the fact one can speak or associate with hearing people.

I feel that is discriminating.

Yea...at first, I was shocked to experience that when I first got involved with the Deaf community. I am just happy to say that most of them arent like that anyway. Whew!

Yea...at first, I was shocked to experience that when I first got involved with the Deaf community. I am just happy to say that most of them arent like that anyway. Whew!

Yeah me too but anytime I go to a deaf event. Sorry to say this but anytime you go to a club or bar their is at least one asshole.

Get my drift?

Yeah me too but anytime I go to a deaf event. Sorry to say this but anytime you go to a club or bar their is at least one asshole.

Get my drift?

Sure there is always that one wonderful asshole in every culture! :giggle:

My hubby's aunt doesnt consider me as part of the family cuz I am white.

Yeah me too but anytime I go to a deaf event. Sorry to say this but anytime you go to a club or bar there is at least one asshole..... Get my drift?
one?? no, five!! :lol: ..yes I get your drift.

I know there are a few here too, but some are just as great and aDwesome.

It happened to me too with big H on forehead from deaf people from deaf families. I dont get them from deaf people from hearing families.

deaf people always have different POV

Most deaf in the world has different perspective of life in the way they think and view things from their experience. Everything what we have learn throughout our journey has a different story to tell. Be it bad or good. It has some distinction of right or wrong.

In life there is no right or wrong answer to every mankind. People experience in different way so all we can do is keep an open mind. See the point in a bigger picture. Life doesn't begin with yourself.

That is how the world revolves around you. Just stay happy as always for who you are. Keep it simple and don't make your life complicated or otherwise you will feel the misery.

* The world will not be here without your thoughts *

Most deaf in the world has different perspective of life in the way they think and view things from their experience. Everything what we have learn throughout our journey has a different story to tell. Be it bad or good. It has some distinction of right or wrong.

In life there is no right or wrong answer to every mankind. People experience in different way so all we can do is keep an open mind. See the point in a bigger picture. Life doesn't begin with yourself.

That is how the world revolves around you. Just stay happy as always for who you are. Keep it simple and don't make your life complicated or otherwise you will feel the misery.

* The world will not be here without your thoughts *

:gpost:

Maybe we should come up with an AVL -- American Vocal Language -- that reflects ASL .. but it would most likely be way beyond the comprehension of most hearing if we're to include all the advantages of ASL. But no, that's not what I was saying. I meant, if you're going to advocate something, do it for the right reason. You could say "ASL is our native language," and that would be a great valid reason to me. But just saying it's a language .. they're usually debating which language is best to teach deaf babies born in America so they'll grow up to be most successful in life in general. I'm trying really hard to be open to all views while I'm on this thread, and not advocate one more than another, because that's not the purpose of this thread.

They kind of already have that, it's just not used. It's reffered to as "glossing". Where you take an "english structured sentence" and put it into ASL format/structure.

They kind of already have that, it's just not used. It's reffered to as "glossing". Where you take an "english structured sentence" and put it into ASL format/structure.

I think that would be a little like PSE, but you have to add all the stuff you can't write, but in vocal form, don't know how you'd do that, haha! You know how you take PSE and add affixes and extra articles and pronouns and contractions and initialisations and all that (not sure if I'm using the right terms), and it becomes SEE..

(hope everybody understands that I'm just kidding about this :D)

Should we change the syntax and grammar of spoken English to follow ASL grammar? Many deaf people in the past when SEE was first created felt offended that some hearing person took their language and alternated it. It would be like taking Spoken English and alternate it by making it follow ASL's syntax and structure.

Hope u see from their point of view . U dont have to agree with it.

you mean Deaf Engllish??

i thught about this 15 years ago since i had good ideas but could write in perfect English, nonetheless the ideas still worth thinking about - however Only for classrooms/lecture purposes.
in so saying, it should be used in the 'thinking stage' of topics and final presentation could/should be done in formal mainstreamEnglish...there's a lot of possibilities like use of Deaf english that highly elaborated extend 'explaining of ideas" (i was like this in my early 20's starting my university career) then like another idea being that deaf english to be used in extreme brainstom of ideas in which a novel idea that teachersCould (in colloboration with established ASL/BSL etc etc grammarticians (i now this is nuts but hear me out)..... to SHow students How to useDeaf English for that tapping out the intellectual side of things. darn it - honesty i dont know how to put this to words im niot a teacher but there's great potential using Deaf English as he bridge between sign and English...

i dislike it when d/Deaf insist you on what is proper deaf experience whether live or re-told, they have no rights and everyones have had different paths leading to where they are 'now'.

Get my drift?

yup, get that all that time too, mind ya im in small town of 100,000 ppl so 'everybody knows everybody' small-town mindset is here too

yup, get that all that time too, mind ya im in small town of 100,000 ppl so 'everybody knows everybody' small-town mindset is here too

100,000 town is called a small town? :hmm:

The last thing I need is "Uncle Toms". I know a deaf guy who tried to push CI on me. He also tried to push it on his wife.

Back