What did you learn today? Part II

Fires going on in Southern California as well. Anaheim Hills, CA to be exact.

Thank you to those of you that commented on conditions in Yuba City. I had read of a shelter there but also something that referred to a fire about 20 miles away with nothing more of movement, containment etc. I am not familiar with the area as the only time I was there was in the 1970s.

Those fires seem to be so unpredictable with new ones popping up all the time. Between the news and what has been posted I got to wondering if any of our AD members had gathered things to make their vehicle quick to load just in case?

Those fires seem to be so unpredictable with new ones popping up all the time. Between the news and what has been posted I got to wondering if any of our AD members had gathered things to make their vehicle quick to load just in case?

These fires moved very fast that people only had seconds to spare, the fires were fed by 50-70mph winds burning half the city to the ground within half day. Many people were notified within the last minute because of the fast moving fires, they had no time to pack and load their cars.

Bad news is that the winds are coming back today and tomorrow which will fuel the fires more.

Thank you to those of you that commented on conditions in Yuba City. I had read of a shelter there but also something that referred to a fire about 20 miles away with nothing more of movement, containment etc. I am not familiar with the area as the only time I was there was in the 1970s.
I’m not familiar with the area either. I used Google to see where the fires were. And I Googled Yuba City Fire which gave me a news article about the sheltering.

I heard in another forum that a commuter train in the Santa Rosa area is giving free rides to evacuees to get to shelters.

Glad you guys are all right. My relatives and friends up there in Northern CA are all right. I hate fire season. October is the worst month of fire season! :( I hope Santa Ana winds in Southern CA go away. So dry.

These fires moved very fast that people only had seconds to spare, the fires were fed by 50-70mph winds burning half the city to the ground within half day. Many people were notified within the last minute because of the fast moving fires, they had no time to pack and load their cars.

Bad news is that the winds are coming back today and tomorrow which will fuel the fires more.

What I have added the bold to is why I was trying to ask about getting things together ahead of time and then if an alert is given just be able to grab and go with the most meaningful things.

What I have added the bold to is why I was trying to ask about getting things together ahead of time and then if an alert is given just be able to grab and go with the most meaningful things.
Do you have things “ready to go” should your home catch fire?
I would not want to live in a “ready to go” state. CA is a fire hazard most of the year, so I doubt people have/had their stuff ready.

I would not want to live in a “ready to go” state. CA is a fire hazard most of the year, so I doubt people have/had their stuff ready.

No I don't but the danger is not on the scale that it currently is in CA. I would not expect it all the time even there but now with the extreme number of fires popping up. Have you not heard of what they call "Fire Season" and that this year it is turning out to be extreme?

We are prepared to evacuate in a hurry, if needed, no matter what the cause. We each have a "go bag" packed with a change of clothes, extra undies, travel toiletries, shower shoes, meds, and towels. We each also have a bag with emergency food, ready to go. We have a small bag with phone chargers ready. We keep our most important papers in a lock box that's handy to grab. They aren't in the car but they are in special places, easy to grab up on the way out. There's nothing wrong with being prepared. :)

If I lived in a fire hazard zone I would certainly have go bags ready.

We are prepared to evacuate in a hurry, if needed, no matter what the cause. We each have a "go bag" packed with a change of clothes, extra undies, travel toiletries, shower shoes, meds, and towels. We each also have a bag with emergency food, ready to go. We have a small bag with phone chargers ready. We keep our most important papers in a lock box that's handy to grab. They aren't in the car but they are in special places, easy to grab up on the way out. There's nothing wrong with being prepared. :)

And a good vehicle? Would you be prepared to help your neighbors before taking off? A lot is involved in being prepared.

The fire started before midnight, and when it quickly multiplied out of control throwing embers all over the place. Police officers and Sheriff used sirens and horns to wake people up telling them to get out. The only time they had was to get dressed and get out, no time to take their belongings. Many homeowners lost everything and the only things they had is their clothes they're wearing and their pets (not all pets made it).

The elderly couple married for 75 years died in the fire, they could not get out in time... they are one of the first known casualties of the fire.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Elderly-couple-identified-as-first-casualties-of-12266922.php

Update: 21 dead, 380 missing and evacuations expanded to a town just 15 mins away from where I am. Pretty scary. They are saying power lines are possible fire source.

The fire started before midnight, and when it quickly multiplied out of control throwing embers all over the place. Police officers and Sheriff used sirens and horns to wake people up telling them to get out. The only time they had was to get dressed and get out, no time to take their belongings. Many homeowners lost everything and the only things they had is their clothes they're wearing and their pets (not all pets made it).

The elderly couple married for 75 years died in the fire, they could not get out in time... they are one of the first known casualties of the fire.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Elderly-couple-identified-as-first-casualties-of-12266922.php

Update: 21 dead, 380 missing and evacuations expanded to a town just 15 mins away from where I am. Pretty scary. They are saying power lines are possible fire source.

That's very sad. I don't often watch the news, but what I saw looked like a war zone. I saw entire neighborhoods wiped out, WITH BURNT OUT CARS UPSIDE DOWN! My mind cannot get around it. (How the heck did they get that way?)
When I was a boy, I remarked to my mother how sad it was to be the first casualty in a war. She looked down at me and said she didn't think so, that it was the last.
Hoping it ends soon.

What Reba wrote more thoroughly explains what I had in mind. Already have things collected and just pick it up on the way out. If it turns out you need it, it could be a big help and you are not out anything if the danger does not come.

I have learned 9 bites ended up on my feet and ankles. Mosquitoes strike back. Grrr!

That's very sad. I don't often watch the news, but what I saw looked like a war zone. I saw entire neighborhoods wiped out, WITH BURNT OUT CARS UPSIDE DOWN! My mind cannot get around it. (How the heck did they get that way?)
Could it be the intense heat caused the gas in the cars' tanks to explode and flip the cars? :dunno:

Definitely scary.

So sad about that elderly couple. :(

Back