What did you learn today? Part II

Who's coworker's mom's passed away ? One of my daughter's friend mom dies recently . She was a few years younger than me. She smoked a lot . :(

My co-worker's mom did. (You would've known that but you have me on ignore.)

Please do not put in your comment "She smoked a lot." My co-worker's mom died of Alzheimer's. It has NOTHING to do with your daughter's friend's mom who died recently.

Thanks, but no thanks for your comment.

I learned the smileys back:applause: and more new features like upload a file in making a comment.

Last edited:
I learned that it's legal to burn the American flag in my state , Ma. It's called 'freedom of speech'. I was really surprised to hear this on the news tonight.

I learned that it's legal to burn the American flag in my state , Ma. It's called 'freedom of speech'. I was really surprised to hear this on the news tonight.
Since 1969, it's been legal in all states, as long as it's the burner's own flag.

What is difference between 1969 and 1990?
". . . 1969 when the Supreme Court ruled the decision to award the First Amendment protection to the burning of the flag."

". . . Congress has made seven attempts to overrule the Supreme Court decision regarding the burning of the American flag by passing a constitutional amendment that had an exception to the First Amendment and allowed the government to ban flag desecration. The Amendment was first proposed in 1990 but failed to receive the required two-thirds majority votes of the House...."

Law Dictionary: Is Flag Burning Illegal?

". . . 1969 when the Supreme Court ruled the decision to award the First Amendment protection to the burning of the flag."

". . . Congress has made seven attempts to overrule the Supreme Court decision regarding the burning of the American flag by passing a constitutional amendment that had an exception to the First Amendment and allowed the government to ban flag desecration. The Amendment was first proposed in 1990 but failed to receive the required two-thirds majority votes of the House...."

I means - there is two different court ruling - 1969 and 1990.

http://www.whdh.com/clip/12280117/c...-recording-shows-people-burning-american-flag

This is the story I saw on TV ,

From my understanding, its only legal to destroy a US Flag if it is in disrepair or damaged ( usually from flying it frays and tears ) or gets torn/damaged and is replaced by a new flag. ( Boy scouts do this)

But any other means is just disrespect.

From my understanding, its only legal to destroy a US Flag if it is in disrepair or damaged ( usually from flying it frays and tears ) or gets torn/damaged and is replaced by a new flag. ( Boy scouts do this)

But any other means is just disrespect.
It is not illegal to burn a flag in protest; it is a disgusting act but it's protected as an expression of free speech.

It is proper to burn a flag in a respectful ceremony retiring old or damaged flags, such as is done by Boy Scouts or veterans' organizations. (Recommended by the US Flag Code)

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/09/08/retiring-worn-out-american-flags/

This web site tell how to retire an old flag.

Option 2: Burn the flag to retire it
A popular way to retire a worn-out American Flag is by burning it. Page 76 of the BSA Handbook says, “A national flag that is worn beyond repair may be burned in a fire. The ceremony should be conducted with dignity and respect and the flag burned completely to ashes.”

PRO: Method preferred by U.S. Flag Code and BSA Handbook. Usually the most ceremonial and solemn method.

CON: Worst option for the environment and your Scouts’ health. Unlike the cotton and wool flags made in the early 20th century, today’s flags are made out of petroleum-based materials like nylon. Burning nylon is different from burning cotton or wool and can create hazardous gas.

Learned that I can schedule an appointment, with a podiatrist, online. Was able to even pick my date and time. They will confirm my date/time with either an email or phone call (hoping for email, of course). Earliest I could get is a week from Monday.

Back