What causes ringing in the ears and is it serious?

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
A "ringing" or a "buzzing" in the ear is called tinnitus. And according to Dr. Craig Shapiro, an otolaryngologist and reconstructive surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System, in most cases it does not suggest a serious illness.

"Tinnitus is very common," he said, "and while it can be bothersome, most cases of tinnitus are completely benign."

In many cases the cause is never found but it is often the result of an ear infection, excessive wax build-up, and loud noises. Some common medications can cause tinnitus as a side effect: most notably aspirin, ibuprofen, antibiotics and birth control pills. Ingesting too much caffeine can also cause the condition and cutting back on caffeine can help. But sometimes tinnitus can be a sign of a more serious problem. It has been associated with hypertension, diabetes, and thyroid disorders. Sometimes it can even be associated with tumors of the acoustic nerve.

"There is a benign tumor called an acoustic neuroma," Shapiro said, "and it often presents with asymmetric tinnitus, a ringing in one ear but not the other."

All cases of persistent tinnitus should be investigated, Shapiro says.While there is no specific treatment for tinnitus, gingko biloba and some prescription medications have proved helpful to some.

By Dr. Sean Kenniff

What causes ringing in the ears and is it serious?

My boyfriend has Tinnutis as his both ears ringing and buzzing. it may bother him and make not comfortable at all. As He has cut down caffeine, anitbotic may effect him. But doctor cant do nothing for him.

i am curious.. i noticed alot of deaf people get ringing in the ears.. I havent notice anybody who is hearing and got the ringings.. Is there hearing people who get the ringings?

Yeah my mom has it and it comes and goes, same with a couple other people I know & theyre hearing.

yeah, there are a lot of hearing folks who have it....my friend Angie has it.

darkangel8603 said:
i am curious.. i noticed alot of deaf people get ringing in the ears.. I havent notice anybody who is hearing and got the ringings.. Is there hearing people who get the ringings?

I'm hearing, and I often get tinnitus. I also have allergies, and am frequently bothered by stuffy noses, post nasal drip, and a "stuffed" feeling in my ears. I also have periods where I'm functionally HoH due when my allergies are causing me problems.

The tinnitus I experience usually comes and goes.

Im hearing and have ringing in my ears NON STOP.... I have went to the doctor and that didnt really help, so I just deal with it. It usually doesnt bother me unless there isnt any background noise.

Yep I have seen alot of ppls having going thru like this situations... My granny, few of her widow's relatives and few of my relatives going thru

I also been heard in my ears that it has ringing in my ears.

It was something missing link inside the ear that needs to be fix because it's been ringing for a long long long time. One of who is deaf woman from New York told doctor about her ear ringing and been surgeried and finally she cried she can hear everything and sounds real good. Because of stirrup and hammer did not contact because it was broken so put it with brace and then it became works successful.So since she is no longer deaf that she is now full of hearing. She started with like baby to learn speech class and pathologist teaching them the right of way unitl became successful she speaks very well like hearing world. To me I been hear my ears has ringing only on 4th of july and Happy New Year midnight that is all other than that there is nothing happen so far....

Back