Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Clarion ( Advanced Bionics)

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • MED-EL

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other ( please explain )

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Alright you may be correct - when I had my visit with my audiologist back in January she indicated she didn't have them out due to battery or something. So you're probbie right. I have an appt on the 21st so I will be sure to ask her again about it. :)

Deflord, My daughter has the Freedom bodyworn. AWESOME PRODUCT!!!
The bodyworn is not FDA approved yet. We are involved in the field testing of the unit. It has 2 AAA batteries that will last approximately 48 hours. We have had some trouble with the cable. We have had 3 of them stop working.
I asked the audi staff at CID about it. They have not seen any other kids experience this problem. We are the only ones they know of. I think the problem may have been our error. The older type body worn units were alot bigger. We were given a couple of fanny pack type of body worn holders. Because the unit is so much smaller, the unit would lay on its side. The fanny packs were just wide enough for the unit and the plug of the cable to lay on its side. When this happened, the cable was bent at a sharp angle which (i believe) may have led to the cables failing.
I came to this conclusion after the second cable failed. We had to use these fanny packs for a week while we came up with a better design to carry the unit. I think this may have had something to do with the failure of the third cable also.
The freedom is quickly being implanted in younger children. When my daughter was implanted at 1 1/2 years, she was the youngest that CID knew of. Now they have a little boy I met last week that is being implanted next week. He jus tturned 1 a couple weeks ago.

just bumping this up... for those who asked what brand in other thread.

i am not going to vote cuz i dont have it yet..

am thinking of getting AB.. :)

There should be some more votes now for AB and Med-El. It would be good to have more of a cross section on this board.

I vote freedom and will be having a surgery on August 8,2007 for on my left ear..... my husband also have freedom and he LOVE it!!! he got implanted on his right ear on February 28, 2007 and turn process on March 29, 2007!

I have the Med-El implant. I'm glad I listened to my Audi when she told me that the Med-El works better with people with a history of deafness like mine.

I'd like to stress that athough it seems the majority have nucleus, the most important factor isn't "what others have" but what will work best FOR YOU!!

first post

New to CI and this forum, one month

I chose the AB Harmony, like everyone with a CI I looked for months for opinions on a device, didn't find a great deal on this forum or others, was mainly looking for reasons why one chooses one device over another, wanted user info rather than marketing hype.

Some here were interested in AB hi res so was I, asked two audi's about freedom vs harmony both said performance was equal, the ENT had no preference as far as ease of implant. So it came down to me if all things between the two we indeed equal I would go with the Harmony because of the Hi res, just incase there may be a small advantage.

From the looks of both, to me, the freedom had much better controls, program select and volume.

One thing that was a big factor in selection was the AB t-mic, looks not too cool but may prove to be very useful.

My daughter was implanted in 2001 with Advanced Bionic's CII. The doctor chose the implant because of her malformed cochlea, but AB is the brand we wanted anyway. We chose AB because it seemed like they would be doing the most for software updates in the future. She started with the BWP, and switched to the Auria BTE when she was 4 1/2.

She was recently reimplanted due to implant failure and we again chose AB. She now has an internal HiRes90K and uses a Harmony BTE. We had looked forward to utilizing the Fidelity 120 software when it is released for children, but since the implant failure we will most likely stay with HiRes until she gets back to the level she was at pre-failure, and then make the switch.

Harmony from Advanced Bionics. Sound has more depth, very close to the real thing, I love it! I play bass in a band and my ability to perceive a high resolution of sound is just beyond comprehension! PLUS, no HA batteries to deal with!

Harmony from Advanced Bionics. Sound has more depth, very close to the real thing, I love it! I play bass in a band and my ability to perceive a high resolution of sound is just beyond comprehension! PLUS, no HA batteries to deal with!

How did you make the choice of Harmony, I'm sure you researched alot but you never are sure.

I think this thread is very important for people looking for real info to make an informed choice.

New to CI and this forum, one month

I chose the AB Harmony, like everyone with a CI I looked for months for opinions on a device, didn't find a great deal on this forum or others, was mainly looking for reasons why one chooses one device over another, wanted user info rather than marketing hype.

Some here were interested in AB hi res so was I, asked two audi's about freedom vs harmony both said performance was equal, the ENT had no preference as far as ease of implant. So it came down to me if all things between the two we indeed equal I would go with the Harmony because of the Hi res, just incase there may be a small advantage.

From the looks of both, to me, the freedom had much better controls, program select and volume.

One thing that was a big factor in selection was the AB t-mic, looks not too cool but may prove to be very useful.

The t-mic is one major factor I chose AB, not all phones are t-coil compatible, the t-mic picks up on any phone just fine, I especially use a cell phone with no interference! This will work better for you at a mixing ratio of 100% auxiliary.

Back