What are you thinking about? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if I should go to the doctor... I am coughing, blowing my nose, and loosing my voice... but I doubt they'd give me any meds. Probably just tell me to go home and use mucinex. *sigh*

You can't treat a cold. there's no cure for it.

Wondering if I should go to the doctor... I am coughing, blowing my nose, and loosing my voice... but I doubt they'd give me any meds. Probably just tell me to go home and use mucinex. *sigh*

Lots of fluids, plenty of rest and pump up the Vitamin C. Corny but true fact, Good chicken soup does help a bunch. Most cold medicines don't work. They will only help bring down a fever and maybe quiet the cough, but you need a good rest and most colds run for 3-7 days.

Lots of fluids, plenty of rest and pump up the Vitamin C. Corny but true fact, Good chicken soup does help a bunch. Most cold medicines don't work. They will only help bring down a fever and maybe quiet the cough, but you need a good rest and most colds run for 3-7 days.

some people swear zinc is great for a cold.

You bet. I've been fighting a cold all week myself as it is. Been extra tired, trying to get more sleep. Took 1.5 days off work and slept for the most part.

I have had the sniffles for over a week now. I have a feeling it is not a cold. More like Allergies, Warm winter it has been and things are blooming already. Gonna be a long allergy season for me.

Peach tree in the yard of the new place we are moving to has blooms all over it. :)

They may not "cure" it but I would say they work if they bring down a fever and quiet the cough both of which can help you get rest.

They may not "cure" it but I would say they work if they bring down a fever and quiet the cough both of which can help you get rest.

Possibly so. We don't use them in our house. Son & I are allergic to all cold medicines. Son also gets asthma attacks from the medicines. Daughter physically gets sick as does hubby.

I cringe whenever MIL gets a cold, and make sure that we all stay away from her. We also clean all surfaces she touches with bleach water.

cold meds just make me sleepy and silly.
I'm happy no one has seen the light and videotaped me on those yet, it would make an awesome youtube video.
I've been using them less and less since I moved from home and have been trying things from my kitchen. I always read up on the ingredients I'm using before trying and honestly they work out ok.
Some are duds but some can really clear out a cold for a few hours.

I'm thinking about the groceries I bought. Did not get all the shopping done, but managed to fine a good head start for the new diet my son & I are starting. Prices at Whole Foods were very reasonable and we got 2 containers (not sure what size those plastic things are) of Organic strawberries for 2 for $6. Got my Tofu, Tofurkey Italian Sausage, Coconut milk coffee creamer, vegan nacho cheese block, soy original, soy chocolate, and rice milk, chicken broth, veggie broth, and about 4-6 other things all for $40. Then I got more at WalMart. Now, tomorrow, I have to go to Aldi's and the Farmer's Market.

Worst of it is, the place is located in an area where drugs and prostitutes are plentiful, not to mention the bars. Now, this Cheetah's is a stripper place with the dancers and servers all dressed in Cheetah costumes.

Kristina, Get your guest room ready, I'm coming down there. To the place where my kind can get some R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!! Wahoo!!!

Oh poo... Cannot go... Girlfriend might get suspicious... :hmm: I could tell her that "nothing bad is going to happen"... Do you think she will buy that? :naughty:

Kristina, Get your guest room ready, I'm coming down there. To the place where my kind can get some R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!! Wahoo!!!

Oh poo... Cannot go... Girlfriend might get suspicious... :hmm: I could tell her that "nothing bad is going to happen"... Do you think she will buy that? :naughty:

Some how I don't think there's any room at Kristina's for more people or cats. You'll have to wait till fall when hopefully the house will be done. THEN you can stay in her MIl's house. :D

Some how I don't think there's any room at Kristina's for more people or cats. You'll have to wait till fall when hopefully the house will be done. THEN you can stay in her MIl's house. :D

Time to plan... Very smart! :)

I'm thinking I'm thankful for all the advice about kicking the cold. Husband brought home some Vitamin C before I saw this, but I'm now trying the zinc (thanks DC) as well as my normal vitamin. And resting (thanks everyone for that advice, I normally push myself and stay sick forever)... which I did until evening. I'll rest more tomorrow while I do homework.

I'm thinking I'm thankful for all the advice about kicking the cold. Husband brought home some Vitamin C before I saw this, but I'm now trying the zinc (thanks DC) as well as my normal vitamin. And resting (thanks everyone for that advice, I normally push myself and stay sick forever)... which I did until evening. I'll rest more tomorrow while I do homework.

Jana, I really like Emergen-C for vitamin C supplements:

emergen-c.jpg

You can find it at Pay-Less in the natural foods section. Usually they have it on sale for 9.99$ or less. The cheapest place to buy is at Trader Joe's in Indianapolis.

Also, I know stuff like NyQuil just covers the symptoms and won't cure anything, but getting a good night's rest is probably one of the most important things you can do to get over sickness. When I have a fever, my dreams and sleep cycle are always chaotic, and I can't get restful sleep. Consequently, it puts more stress on my immune system. NyQuil has a nice combination of acetaminophen (fever/pain reducer) and doxylamine (sedative), which translates into Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, so even if it doesn't cure the sickness, it still helps in the long run.

I'm thinking I really overspent the budget on groceries, but then again, I was out of a lot of the staples that we always keep around. For this week, and my family of 5, with 2 of us going on a calorie restricted diet and one of those 2 going vegan, I spent at 3 stores, $235.

Thinking how happy I will be off until Tuesday morning. Havent been off since Feb 5th. Been two weeks of working everyday even with double shifts. I made it!

Thinking how much I really miss a few online friends. I'm missing a lot of people from all kinds of places, but a few online ones really made a difference for me and now, have dropped me from their friends list. Ah well. I will continue moving on.

Thinking how much I really miss a few online friends. I'm missing a lot of people from all kinds of places, but a few online ones really made a difference for me and now, have dropped me from their friends list. Ah well. I will continue moving on.

Ehhhhh that stinks!!!!!

As for the Zinc....taking it only at the first onslaught of a cold (1st day), helps lessen the symptoms (that's what I've heard). I also keep hard candy available during the cold months, to keep the throat moist. The usual Orange Juice, Nyquil day/night has always worked for us too. And of course, the kleenex with Aloe is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back