What Are You Reading Right now?

I like it a lot better than the Kindle. There is a thread here called something like "B and N Nook vs. Kindle." I'll try to find it.

The screen of the Kindle was really annoying, I thought. It does a sort of flash, bang thing when you turn the page that I found very disruptive. The Nook has a speedy and unobtrusive page-turning ability. Just a quick flicker, and that's it.

I like the size of it very much. I bought a cover for it and with the cover, it's about the same size as the average paper-back, and very easy to hold and read. I take it with me outside quite a bit, and no problem reading in the sun.

It won't work for magazines, so if you want magazine subscriptions, you'll want the new Nook Color version.

So far I have not bought any books for it. I just check books out on-line from the library. That works very well and it serves me just fine. That said, I am on the waiting list for about a dozen books, and I can see it's going to take quite a while to get down to me, as I'm 32 out of 50 on one, 12 out of 20 on another, that sort of thing. So I might eventually break down and buy copies of the things I want to read, but so far I'm doing fine being, um, frugal. Some would say "cheap." :lol:

Excel for Dummies? Are you keeping records, making charts for somebody or what? Studying business? Just curious. I have seen those books and it tells me I should know it by now. You know... :cool2:

I am studying accounting in college. I have to take a computer class for the major but the book is just for starters.

LOL I am pretty lots of experience adjust to trick, mistake incident screw up watch on code html I am learn it! I am very lots of improve my skills 5 yrs!

5 years of experiences... wow. You have any projects of work perhaps you can show?

I like it a lot better than the Kindle. There is a thread here called something like "B and N Nook vs. Kindle." I'll try to find it.

The screen of the Kindle was really annoying, I thought. It does a sort of flash, bang thing when you turn the page that I found very disruptive. The Nook has a speedy and unobtrusive page-turning ability. Just a quick flicker, and that's it.

I like the size of it very much. I bought a cover for it and with the cover, it's about the same size as the average paper-back, and very easy to hold and read. I take it with me outside quite a bit, and no problem reading in the sun.

It won't work for magazines, so if you want magazine subscriptions, you'll want the new Nook Color version.

So far I have not bought any books for it. I just check books out on-line from the library. That works very well and it serves me just fine. That said, I am on the waiting list for about a dozen books, and I can see it's going to take quite a while to get down to me, as I'm 32 out of 50 on one, 12 out of 20 on another, that sort of thing. So I might eventually break down and buy copies of the things I want to read, but so far I'm doing fine being, um, frugal. Some would say "cheap." :lol:

There's waiting lists? Heh. Why doesn't the library just loan it out to everyone? How does this eBook loaning system work? It's electronic stuff you know.

5 years of experiences... wow. You have any projects of work perhaps you can show?

yes I am lots of patient grow my skill building smart and building try successfull I am lots research find study experience grow my role I proud of clear understand I am clever and tutorial code html! I do best hard work!
that is not easy, I Notice people many not understand on basic, It is very lots of troubleshooting learn how blocked mind! I know expert how struggle final through my study I am addiction computer :D

I am studying accounting in college. I have to take a computer class for the major but the book is just for starters.

What about math? Is the standards high to major in accounting and such? You know I got question. What is one important thing does the person whose profession is accounting knows that other people don't know about? (Agh might be bad phrase right there.)

And kudos, hope you pull through. Hard major and lots of numbers. :P

There's waiting lists? Heh. Why doesn't the library just loan it out to everyone? How does this eBook loaning system work? It's electronic stuff you know.

It has to do with the rights to the book. The authors and publishers and everyone still have to get paid, ya know! So if the library buys 5 "rights" to a particular title, then it can only loan out those rights to 5 people at a time.

It has to do with the rights to the book. The authors and publishers and everyone still have to get paid, ya know! So if the library buys 5 "rights" to a particular title, then it can only loan out those rights to 5 people at a time.

Oo I know what you're saying! Maybe can you refer me to "rights" like the keyword so I can check it out more? How does the library buys "right" and get permission from the authors and publishers? Has to do with laws and likes, just don't know the right word.

yes I am lots of patient grow my skill building smart and building try successfull I am lots research find study experience grow my role I proud of clear understand I am clever and tutorial code html! I do best hard work!
that is not easy, I Notice people many not understand on basic, It is very lots of troubleshooting learn how blocked mind! I know expert how struggle final through my study I am addiction computer :D

Yes some people don't understand basics and call it quits. Maybe don't come back. You are ahead so that's all it counts. :)

Yes some people don't understand basics and call it quits. Maybe don't come back. You are ahead so that's all it counts. :)

that is true I agree you people go to study book php and learn how improve fun development!

Oo I know what you're saying! Maybe can you refer me to "rights" like the keyword so I can check it out more? How does the library buys "right" and get permission from the authors and publishers? Has to do with laws and likes, just don't know the right word.

"Overdrive" is the main digital supplier. Their site is here:

OverDrive – Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail

That might give you some answers.

"Overdrive" is the main digital supplier. Their site is here:

OverDrive – Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail

That might give you some answers.

Marketing. If there's no waitlist for loaning system, people will abuse it and not buy the books, "publishers, authors and everything else" will lose out on extra money.

I need to Google for a glossary on these kinds of stuff. "Partners", "Distributions", "Rights", "Cycles", "Marketing strategies", and stuff like that. Fun fun :P

EDIT:
"Publishers, authors, and everyone else" gets paid by "library" to loan books out -> Either the people interested in book title, say, "Water for Elephants" and buy it if people don't want to wait to loan it out -> People either like the book title and... gah. stopping here. I need to take Business class. :lol:

I'm reading "The Americans: The Democratic Experience" by Daniel Boorstin, on my Nook. Very interesting book. It's the history of the U.S. from about the early 1800's through mid-1900's (more or less), from mostly the point of view of the people who made the leaps of invention that made current American life possible. What's interesting is how he ties together various inventions and developmenst, and shows how one thing leads to another.

For instance, Mr. Roebuck's mail-order catalogue and the development of Rural Free Delivery to people living on isolated farms led to the development of an entirely new sort of community - people united by what they buy, not by where they live or whether they even know each other.

And I LOVE my Nook - I can toss this 800-plus page book into my beach bag, for the weight of a paperback! How cool is THAT!! Speaking of interesting inventions that have changed our lives, eh??

There should be a book about the people who made modern American life possible... I mean the illegal immigrants who work for nothing to build our homes, wash our dishes, pick out grapes/fruit/lettuce/etc, and so on and so on.

And lets not forget the 6 year old kids working in Malaysian sweatshops and the billion Chinese laborers all name Sum Por Chum...

Of course nobody wants to tell that story...

Have 2 going again. When the Devil Whistles by Rick Acker and Lord of the Flies

Have 2 going again. When the Devil Whistles by Rick Acker and Lord of the Flies

Gave up on the Devil book and can't read the Lord of the Flies. The library did not have it in large print.

Back