What are the different ways that the Deaf can learn to communicate?

apkeats26

Reaction score
What are some of the different ways/methods that the deaf can learn to communicate.

There is ASL, Lipreading, Oralism....are there any others? Is there any way that I can get some information and thoughts on each of these? THanks
Aaron

apkeats26 said:
What are some of the different ways/methods that the deaf can learn to communicate.

There is ASL, Lipreading, Oralism....are there any others?

No Not that I know of...

total communication.... Cued sign language

total communication is a method of learning to speak, readlips, use ASL

Cued sign language is a method to learn to read lips.. and its sign language is based on the sounds of voice.. and u use it as a sign language around ur face..

Hmm, you scuba? I've always wanted to try that..
Anyways..
Do you think you can elaborate on these? I've heard of total communication, but do you think you could give me some more info on it?

ALso, what are some methods for learning how to lipread, and what are ways that people do it.

What I have decided on for my paper is the different ways that the Deaf can communicate, along these are the mobile text messaging, any info on this?

Lipreading (the best term should be speechreading, since one does not rely only on the lips but also the movement of the tongue, showing of teeth, etc) can be established through different methods:

Some go to clinics/schools (John Tracy Clinic is an example) to go to lipreading classes.

There are actually computer programs that show the mouth moving, and the learner learns from that. (I've seen it once)

There are also Oral schools that focus on lipreading.

Others, like myself, simply just pick up on it by imitating as one would learn how to speak.

I should inform you that not ALL deaf people know how to lipread. Also lipreading isn't completely perfect... even the most professional lipreader will not get all the words spoken. It is because only about 35% (more or less) of spoken language can be read.

You may want to check out the "Technologies for the Deaf" and "Captioning..." forums in here for different devices used. I know it can be a headache looking thru all that posting.

But what I do know is that RIM, Sidekick (a really popular one nowadays), Talkabout are some choices for the Deaf to use.

There are TTYs/TDDs (they're the same thing), and there's IP-Relay (providing VRS -- Video Relay Service) and AT&T has a online relay service too.

Some people, most particularly hard-of-hearing individuals do own cell phones (Nokia, Emerson, etc) providing that text-messaging is available.

Does anybody have information about text messaging? It is called, TTY, correct? Are there special plans specifically for the deaf? Etc...

Yes, I have bit about how not all the Deaf can lip read, I have the book "For hearing people only" and it goes over a lot of stuff like that. Fortunately, I never really thought like the "Bad examples" I mean come on, Brail and ASL? Totally different............ :)

As for the coding of language goes, there are sign language, cued speech, oral (speechreading and speaking) and total communication (a combination of a few or all modes). Sign language is not international, and varies throughout the country. Also, sign language has several methods such as ASL, SEE, CASE and PSE. There is also Rochester Method, but I haven't met anyone who uses that method.

As far as technology goes, here in Utah, we use mostly Videophone which is like a webcam connected to a TV and high speed cable line. It is like video conferencing, and also Video Relay Service is provided through Sorensen. It is the most popular choice of technology here in Utah. As for these who doesn't have Videophones, they use TTY/TDD which is like a typewriter connected to a telephone. In some countries, Deaf people prefer to use fax machines for communication. Also, the internet and instant messaging is a very popular way to communicate between deaf and hearing people without the middleman interference (relay).

Well, I have text messaging on my cell phone...it's the only way I can really use it...but I also have a TTY, that is a "Tele-Typewriter..." It's basically a way they can communicate by phone...sometimes they can call directly if two deaf people have this device...if only one has it, then a third party may be involved...this is the relay service...

Lots to research, eh? :)

Malfoyish

Tty...

I have is TTY which is a Telephone-Typewriter , It's has phone already on top of the tty....so that way deaf and hearing can use ONE phone...its small and black....I Love it!...All I have to do is turn on the TTY.....dail the number and if someone don't have a TTY machine then I use the Relay Service to make a call...It easy to do...

I don't own any cellphones/pagers that has text in them....I do want one through...

There is ASL, Lipreading, Oralism....are there any others?

Yes, Total Communication (TC) is a method of learning to Speak , Readlips and using ASL (American Sign Language)....

That where I learned from school is TC....and I enjoying learning how to speak, readlips so I can be able to communication in the hearing world....

Back