what are the best books to learn sign language?

deafJar

Reaction score
What are the best books to use to learn sign language?
ASL American sign language

I would like to know what is the best books to study sign language?

That are easy books to learn the sign language?

I have deafness and other special needs and so i was wondering if there are good books out there that it is easy to learn the sign language out of the book.

I really wanted to go to the school for the deaf to take the course but i don't think my mom would take me there.

I want to learn more sign language and I also want asl to be my second language and be able to communicate 100 % in asl.

I have a mild to moderate hearing loss and it is 40 to 50 db loss and also I lip read , listen,and everything so I need your help.

I am volunteer at a special school and i am working with kids 5-10 years old and they have moderate disabilities and they are in grades k-3 .

There is a girl in the class that can barely talk and she signs that is how she communicates so i want to know more and be able to communicate with her more in sign language.

I don't think she has a hearing loss, i was told she has a certain kind of bite that effects her speech and so she still can't talk much.

My disabilities are: Deafness:mild to moderate hearing loss-40 to 50 db loss - I wear a hearing aid for my left ear. Communication disorder,mild mental retardation,limited fine motor skills,poor eye hand coordination,trouble with coordinating my body,and other problems that i am going to see about getting tested for dyspraxia to see if i have that, I have adhd:mild case-combined type-I take ritalin 3 times a day and it is 20 mgs.

I take medicine for my nervousness that my psychriatrist calls it anxiety: I take paxil cr-12.5 mgs 1 time a day, and also i take wellbutrin for my depression that is mild and the pill is generic brand and it is 100 mgs. i take it 1 time a day.

but depression and anxiety is not a disability but still i will tell you all that.

First, you seem like a very sharp (intelligent & motivated) person to me. :)

Second, the best way to learn ASL is in a class with live people. I don't know what resources are available in your local area.

Third, here is a clear, simple website that shows videos of signs:

www.aslpro.com

Fourth, here is a resource for sign language books and tapes/CDs. If you use a book, I suggest using one that includes a CD so you can actually see how the signs are used.

http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=1192&osCsid=d15f210079e38a2333b33e770b34d873

Welcome to AllDeaf, and I am sure that other members here will have more useful suggestions.

beg and borrow

the best books hands down is the seasame street sign lang book!
they are the clearest and best made by far! the only draw backs are the fact they are hard to find and do not have tons of signs.
but they are very best for getting started and learning very useful stuff.

wow!

i just saw reba sugested site ..very cool ..i am going to use this alot...but i still think have the S>S book where you can the whole sentence is better for starters.

deafJar......there is a program on the campus of the American School for the Deaf, that is residental and specificly for deaf with other disabilties. Let me see if I can't find something on that for you.It's a lot easier to learn Sign in a person to person context then it is from a textbook.

Back