What are some famous deaf actors/actresses?

Ambibell

Reaction score
Do they have roles in the movie? I've seen most of them on television rather than movies, especially "Switch at Birth". I kinda dislike it because of so much drama.

haaa I am not crazy about Switched at Birth, either, but my best friend loves it. Of course, she's a sucker for drama :roll: Though, I don't feel the show is really centered around Deaf people at all. Just a typical show that claims to be culturally diverse by including deaf people. It's more about family issues.

Anyway. While there are deaf actors out there, I do take issue with movies and shows that include them only as side characters, not as main characters. The episode of CSI with Marlee Matlin and others is just a classic example. When people were going around being excited about "Deaf CSI" I thought it meant there was finally a crime scene investigator who is Deaf. Nope. Crush my hopes, will ya?! I really miss Marlee's Reasonable Doubt.

haaa I am not crazy about Switched at Birth, either, but my best friend loves it. Of course, she's a sucker for drama :roll: Though, I don't feel the show is really centered around Deaf people at all. Just a typical show that claims to be culturally diverse by including deaf people. It's more about family issues.

I've never seen SAB but if it doesn't go out of its way to say 'look at them, they're deaf!' isn't that a good thing? The story and characters should be the focus.

Anyway. While there are deaf actors out there, I do take issue with movies and shows that include them only as side characters, not as main characters. The episode of CSI with Marlee Matlin and others is just a classic example. When people were going around being excited about "Deaf CSI" I thought it meant there was finally a crime scene investigator who is Deaf. Nope. Crush my hopes, will ya?! I really miss Marlee's Reasonable Doubt.

Did you like Sue Thomas F.B.Eye? My other half really likes crime dramas but didn't like the stories in it and stopped watching. She thought it got too silly at times, especially the comic relief with Levi the dog.

I've never seen SAB but if it doesn't go out of its way to say 'look at them, they're deaf!' isn't that a good thing? The story and characters should be the focus.

Did you like Sue Thomas F.B.Eye? My other half really likes crime dramas but didn't like the stories in it and stopped watching. She thought it got too silly at times, especially the comic relief with Levi the dog.

It does bother me when a deaf character exits the screen and the other characters just go right back to talking with their voices. But you know it's just a drama show, nothing more.

I haven't watched much TV in the last ten years or so, plus I didn't have cable for a long while. The only time I watched S@B was when I was stuck watching TV with my best friend :P Though, I have liked Deane Bray and STFBE and several other deaf people on FB just to keep tabs on them. I do plan to buy a copy of The Hammer someday.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

There's also many many Deaf actors in various ASL films - Legend of the Mountain Man, Gerald etc are one's that pop to mind thought there are dozens more.

I really like watching Marlee Matlin in different movies/tv shows. She HAS to be one of my favorite actress and role model. The ASL teacher at my high school whose also a second mom, has met Marlee Matlin. I'm jealous!

Back