What are my options Nucleus 22 user

Kai Onca

Reaction score
I'm a nucleus 22 with espirit 3g BTE

I recall those days when I had that huge bulky processor. EEK!

I don't wear it at all, and I get a letter from cochlear that they're ceasing production of repairing those 3gs. I don't even want the magnet still in my head, I want it out, I know its the source of the headaches I get at times. Its painful in that area. This unit is not for me at all. Its unnatural sounding everything overlaps each other once I leave the audie's office. It wasn't teh same as my analog hearing aids which I absolutely loved.

MY issue: My insurance will NOT pay for any hearing aids/assistance for that- none of my insurance in the past have done that and I work for a deaf-related company ironic? Cochlear is leaving me in the dust with an unwanted magnet in my head that they haven't responded to my emails etc they're not directly addressing the issue at all they've sent automatic emails.

I had the implant when I was a kid by the way and I don't want it in my head anymore. What am I to do?

I am sorry you are having problems with your CI.

Cochlear had nothing do with removal of the internal implant, your best place to contact is your CI surgeon and/or an audiologist.

I think you may find it difficult to get them to agree on removing the implant unless it really affects your health. Also the insurance can be problem.

All the best

I have a friend who he got the internal implant out like 2 years ago.. He hated the implant and he got it out. I don't know how he managed to get his CI surgeon to remove the internal implant by insurance or whatever. but if you like, i can try and talk to him and ask how he got it removed.

the company has contributed to an device that is no longer in service and I was a kid when it happened that's in my body. I was not legally an adult to make my own decisions.

So therefore who is really responsible to pay to remove the device? They made the device defective.

Same idea as a pacemaker, a heart patient's family can sue the pacemaker company for defective pacemaker...

First, you need to meet a CI surgeon to discuss your options. If the doctor determines that your CI is causing you pain, then the insurance company is obligated to remove it.

If your CI is not doing anything for you, just leave it in place. If you are only getting headaches when the CI is turned on, then just leave it off and move on. Even after removal, you cannot wear a hearing aid in that ear, since the N22 destroys any remaining hearing cells.

If the CI does not sound right, that does not mean it is defective, it might need adjustment and/or a newer processor. Insurance companies will not pay for anything unless a doctor deems it medically necessary.

You need to see a surgeon to get it removed. Cochlear have nothing to do with the insertion/removal of devices, they just manufacture them and the external speech processors to go with it.

You may have been a kid when you got the device, but your parents made that decision for you... if it bothers you that badly and you've exhausted every option with insurance, why not hit your parents up to wear the costs to remove it since they made the original decision?

You need to see a surgeon to get it removed. Cochlear have nothing to do with the insertion/removal of devices, they just manufacture them and the external speech processors to go with it.

You may have been a kid when you got the device, but your parents made that decision for you... if it bothers you that badly and you've exhausted every option with insurance, why not hit your parents up to wear the costs to remove it since they made the original decision?

They made the device, and now I am stuck with the device in my body. What's the point of having it there?

First, you need to meet a CI surgeon to discuss your options. If the doctor determines that your CI is causing you pain, then the insurance company is obligated to remove it.

If your CI is not doing anything for you, just leave it in place. If you are only getting headaches when the CI is turned on, then just leave it off and move on. Even after removal, you cannot wear a hearing aid in that ear, since the N22 destroys any remaining hearing cells.

If the CI does not sound right, that does not mean it is defective, it might need adjustment and/or a newer processor. Insurance companies will not pay for anything unless a doctor deems it medically necessary.

Meeting with the surgeon requires insurance. And no the insurance company isn't required pay to remove this device in the state of Illinois.

They stopped making it. Making it oboslete

I said they should replace the internal implant with newer generation implant if they are defective.
If it's the processor, Cochlear is backwards compatiable and goes as far as 1987, I think, The N5 processors will be compatiable for N22 users this year i think but freedom is already compatiable (many of my friends are N22 users and wears freedom).

I'm a nucleus 22 with espirit 3g BTE

I recall those days when I had that huge bulky processor. EEK!

I don't wear it at all, and I get a letter from cochlear that they're ceasing production of repairing those 3gs. I don't even want the magnet still in my head, I want it out, I know its the source of the headaches I get at times. Its painful in that area. This unit is not for me at all. Its unnatural sounding everything overlaps each other once I leave the audie's office. It wasn't teh same as my analog hearing aids which I absolutely loved.

MY issue: My insurance will NOT pay for any hearing aids/assistance for that- none of my insurance in the past have done that and I work for a deaf-related company ironic? Cochlear is leaving me in the dust with an unwanted magnet in my head that they haven't responded to my emails etc they're not directly addressing the issue at all they've sent automatic emails.

I had the implant when I was a kid by the way and I don't want it in my head anymore. What am I to do?

I have Nucelus 24 implant with Esprit 3g processor. I know they no longer repairing Esprit processors. But they ARE now replacing with newer processor, Nucelus System which is waterproof and is compatible with Nucelus 22 and 24 (they modify it to work with older implant). AND It's WATERPROOF up to 3 meter deep!! sheesh!! The last time I contacted them through Email last fall was asking for $8k. My insurance can pay for it and I pay with copay of $500 but I didn't have that money at that time so I dropped it.

As for magnet in your head, It should not affect anything. I have implant for 7 years and no effect upon me. You can ask Dr just to remove magnet but leaving implant alone if you like but there may be medical fees for it.

To be honest, I haven't worn my processor for 2 1/2 years because of my job that I works outside which environments and weather exposing my processor and cause it to degrade quickly.

The microphone of processor went bad quickly. I did the repair myself (I'm expert with that) using the external microphone w/ 2 ft cord that hook with processor if you need it. it uses same microphone so I took it all apart and extracted microphone and implanted to processor and it fits nicely. Soldering the colored wire size of human hair was a bit tough but I use desktop magnifier with light under it so I can see what I am doing. After repair, processor sound much better than bad microphone. I cut half of old walkman headphone black cover and covered the microphone section of processor to protect microphone from environment. I never wore it at work but RARELY wore it at home. My habit formed already. I decide to preserve old processor until I have money to buy new one with copay..

I can understand how everyone who have CI feel once the warranty over and there's nothing to fall back like Insurance for CI, Health insurance ect. We're left with crap that fails and no turning back unless you have lot of $$ to buy new processor. I really hate it!! It's so unfair because CI is prosthetic just like fake eye, legs, ears. Those who have fake eye, arm, or legs get covered by health insurance, CI user get denied!!!

Catty

Back