What approach should be used in the educational setting for deaf education?

I think deaf education programs should use the

• oral only approach

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • sign language only approach

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • oral and signing approach

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • use whatever methods work for the child

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • ????? cuz I really do not know what's best.

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
And here's the key part if you can teach a deaf child asl within the first 5 years, they can learn the language easily and naturally without the need of the grammar rules and how the language works. It just comes naturally but after the age of five, one needs to know how the language works, like now I can watch asl and I can understand asl but to be able to use it just by watching it is hard. I need to know the rules but kids under 5 don't need that. I read this on a research paper on the brain and how language is acquired natively vs secondary or tertiary.

Exactly--Jackie said that she herself had taken 2 ASL classes in the past, and thather daughter learned ASL from her deaf friends. Then she assumes that because she (jackie) took the two classs, she knows more ASL than her daughter. I wa saying that is is probably reversed. If the daughter is using it to converse with her deaf friends, she probably knows more ASL that jackie does from two classes, and probably understands more than jackie does. I think we agree that the classroom is not where one best learns the language, it is from deaf and coda speakers of the language. You learn mechanics in the classroom--syntax and classifiers, etc. But you learn to use it when you converse with other people who are using it. And she probably has trouble with understanding the terp because whe hasn't been using it long enough to have extensive vocab or receptive skills. But using a terp can improve that.

I never said that I know more sign language then my daughter. I have taken 2 ASL classes. Yes, my daughter has a great command of sign language for social purposes. You are right that you do need to use it in order to master it. My sign language skills get a lot better by the end of summer. This happens to me every year my signing skills get better in the summer. The reason for this because of my daughter's friends coming over all time in the summer. Just this weekend, I had 4 deaf kids that spent the night. 1 only oral, 2 only signers, and 1 both. This is when I get my practice in.
I think there was some confusion about my daughter taking ASL classes. What I meant is if my daughter wants to take an ASL I would be more then happy to take her and if she wants me to go with her I would also be more then happy to do that too.

I never said that I know more sign language then my daughter. I have taken 2 ASL classes. Yes, my daughter has a great command of sign language for social purposes. You are right that you do need to use it in order to master it. My sign language skills get a lot better by the end of summer. This happens to me every year my signing skills get better in the summer. The reason for this because of my daughter's friends coming over all time in the summer. Just this weekend, I had 4 deaf kids that spent the night. 1 only oral, 2 only signers, and 1 both. This is when I get my practice in.
I think there was some confusion about my daughter taking ASL classes. What I meant is if my daughter wants to take an ASL I would be more then happy to take her and if she wants me to go with her I would also be more then happy to do that too.

Ahhhh....but what you said was that once she had passed the ASL 2 level, you would join her, which implies that because you have taken two ASL classes you already consider her to be less advanced than yourself.

I find it interesting that those who are so hard line regarding oral education for deaf students have not even bothered to visit the Deaf Ed forum, witht he post Smashing down the biggest barriers. Is the issue education, or is it simply defense of your own choice of methods?

I find it interesting that those who are so hard line regarding oral education for deaf students have not even bothered to visit the Deaf Ed forum, witht he post Smashing down the biggest barriers. Is the issue education, or is it simply defense of your own choice of methods?

That is a very good question! I suggest those to visit that thread "Smashing Down the Biggest Barriers."

Im headed that way right now - thanks for suggesting the further reading.

Im headed that way right now - thanks for suggesting the further reading.

You're welcome, Dixie. But you weren't really the one of the ones we were referring to. You already seem to be willing to be open minded and learn about the issues. That's what I meant. The ones that don't need to read stuff like this always read it, and the ones that need to read it just ignore it.

Back