What am I a two year old??

jillio,

You're a woman, right? Do you hide that? Of course not. I'm a guy. I don't hide that. I also wear my hair short. Did you see the link to my video? You'd see my hearing aids. If I'm hiding something, then you are, too. As a woman, you shouldn't hide what makes you one. :D

If you are suggesting that by being clothed in public I am hiding what makes me a woman, you have a very superficial and sexist idea of what makes me a woman. And, I don't hide anything. I'm secure enough not to need to.

Not a bit, jillio. But, when talking with people, I don't start the conversation by saying, "excuse me, I'm deaf, can you speak up, please?"

Then, you risk misunderstanding because you have failed to speak up. Your choice.

What is rude about my missing Chase, and wishing for his wit and wisdom? And rudeness is communication, although it was not a part of my post in anyway. Communication is relaying a message to another. Rudeness does that quite effectively.

Not sure who Chase is and I thought there was an implication that there would be rudeness from him regarding something I said.

Then, you risk misunderstanding because you have failed to speak up. Your choice.

I can count on one hand the times I've misunderstood in a conversation and my reaction to it. The other party was taken aback by my abruptness to be told (not asked) to speak up, as I was beyond being polite anymore, as she was enjoying whispering and I knew it.

If you are suggesting that by being clothed in public I am hiding what makes me a woman, you have a very superficial and sexist idea of what makes me a woman. And, I don't hide anything. I'm secure enough not to need to.

:bowlol: I gotta hand it to ya, that was a quick comeback! I was being facetious in that part, but I think you know what I meant.

Not sure who Chase is and I thought there was an implication that there would be rudeness from him regarding something I said.

I guess that was another communication failure.

I can count on one hand the times I've misunderstood in a conversation and my reaction to it. The other party was taken aback by my abruptness to be told (not asked) to speak up, as I was beyond being polite anymore, as she was enjoying whispering and I knew it.

Just because you have experienced it less than 5 times doesn't mean that everyone has been that fortunate. What people are saying is that it ocurrs on a frequent basis for them.

Just because you have experienced it less than 5 times doesn't mean that everyone has been that fortunate. What people are saying is that it ocurrs on a frequent basis for them.

I'll give ya that, jillio. Maybe I'm used to the way I do things, but I just don't get people telling stuff to me like I'm reading about. I'm actually quite floored by the hearies responses.

What the crap was all that about?

I'm with Shel on this one. Anytime I told someone I was deaf, they were cool with it, even my bosses at work are cool with it.

Besides I think it would look bad on your part if you didn't tell your employer you are deaf or hard of hearing, and they had to repeat instructions to you and eventually accuse you of not following orders, or not focusing on your job. This can cause a lot of headaches for yourself, your boss, your coworkers, and depending on what type of job you have, your customers as well.

How about this, we all have different personalities and approaches with people, some of us are more upfront about out deafness and some of us aren't.....big freaking deal, it doesn't make one group of us right and one group of us wrong. Get real people, it is ok that we all use different ways to communicate, to be heard, and to let people know what our needs are.

Personally, I find it helpful to wear a button on my purse that says "Lip Reader, please speak clearly"...it saves me the hassle of having to explain. If I am with a group of people, I will start out by asking for their attention and telling them I am deaf and what my needs are, it saves interruptions later on. This is just my style. I don't crack jokes about it or hide it.

Alright, I am done spouting off for the night! That said, I know some of you love to debate and argue, and that is fine too, hahahah. Just had to get my two cents in here tonight for some reason.

I don't think there's a right answer or a wrong answer. You just do what you're comfortable with, and you know yourself (and your hearing) better than anyone else (well, not including the audi, I guess, lol). You know what works best.

You have good ideas pete, but in the real world it doesn't always work that way.
I'm a hearie and I'm not offended by anything said in this thread here's why: I understand that's most people will deal with a deaf person maybe once. Most do not care to learn.

At my school lots of kids take ASL but few actually want to learn a bunch of the kids are taking it for graduation requirements and others because of failed attempts else where.

Lots of kids in my class mock the deaf teacher. I think he's great I've learned so much but I am different then a majority and its because I have respect. Some kids still write notes instead of signing and were in ASL2!!!!! But you know what a majority of people don't have a lot of respect. That's why its difficult for you guys.

Respect what your saying and your opinion but I don't agree.

Back