What about used hearing aids??

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
It's not just hearing aids. It's digital cameras, cell phones, bikes, lawn mowers, etc. You name it. I don't like to pay retail if I don't have to. It looks like you can get an used hearing aids cheap on E Bay. Have anyone went that route before? I would suppose if I got an 1 or 2 years old hearing aids, then that would not be a bad deal. Obviously not a 10 years old hearing aids.

When I buy a cell phone on E Bay, I can get it, no problem. However, it seems like you cannot just bid on hearing aids, win it and then have it shipped to you. You need to prove that you need them, right?

Also, if I got an used hearing aids, I would have to go to audiologist to get it dialed to the correct volume. I would imagine that would cost money. Obviously, I'll get my own molds. What do you think?

Maybe, if you research the particular aid and know that it can be set to fit your audiogram. You could perhaps go so far as to ask your audi if an aid you're considering would work for you.

The Lions Club and other organizations take donations of used hearing aids, so clearly they are put to use somehow.

A good question is that if an used hearing aid is purchased through eBay, how would the buyer know if the aid they're purchasing are of good quality?

what I want to know is how do I purchase one on E Bay? I don't think you can just place the highest bid and then have it shipped to you. You would need proof from doctor or audiologist that you qualify.

what I want to know is how do I purchase one on E Bay? I don't think you can just place the highest bid and then have it shipped to you. You would need proof from doctor or audiologist that you qualify.

Maybe you could get a copy of your audiogram to send in if you need to.

Well, I'd like sell my son's old aids... Phonak naida up III. He wore them for 4 months only.

It may be different in Italy, but here in USA, I don't think you're allowed to just purchase used hearing aids off E Bay.

You can purchase Hearing Aids off eBay in the USA. I have before. They never asked they just shipped. If they do ask they email you a document you virtually sign using Adobe Acrobat or they may want to see your audiogram. Either way it's not particularly healthy. I had mine purchased off eBay only due to the fact my old one stolen from the gym and my insurance couldn't get me another one cause they were knew. So either I had to go to school with out hearing or go the desperate route. I spoke with my Dr first to make sure that he would program them and which ones he would suggest I get. He also steralized them and refit for my needs. No problem with so far. So I just keep in a box for a spare and use my pink one now I just got.

You can purchase Hearing Aids off eBay in the USA. I have before. They never asked they just shipped. If they do ask they email you a document you virtually sign using Adobe Acrobat or they may want to see your audiogram. Either way it's not particularly healthy. I had mine purchased off eBay only due to the fact my old one stolen from the gym and my insurance couldn't get me another one cause they were knew. So either I had to go to school with out hearing or go the desperate route. I spoke with my Dr first to make sure that he would program them and which ones he would suggest I get. He also steralized them and refit for my needs. No problem with so far. So I just keep in a box for a spare and use my pink one now I just got.

If you don't mind, how much did it cost to sterilize and refit to your needs? How old were the ones you purchased?

It may be different in Italy.

It is: in fact, I'm not able to sell them because it's impossible to find someone to adjust them... I don't know in the USA, but here the shop that sells you aids also gives you assistance, programming, moulding and so on. So if you go there with aids you didn't buy from them they usually don't want to programme it...

It's a pity since they're new and I'd need the money! But I'll have to give them for free to some association or such, since they're just gathering dust now. My son clearly prefers his new ones, and the manufacturer can substitute them in just a few days son we don't really need spares.

But exactly why shouldn't you buy them from ebay or wherever you want? Maybe insurance issues? We have a different system here so to get his new ones I had to pay for them, while I had a contribution for the previous ones from State (about half of the price) because I had a Dr's prescription. I couldn't have a prescription for the new ones since all doctors recommended CI for my kid.

It is: in fact, I'm not able to sell them because it's impossible to find someone to adjust them... I don't know in the USA, but here the shop that sells you aids also gives you assistance, programming, moulding and so on. So if you go there with aids you didn't buy from them they usually don't want to programme it...

It's a pity since they're new and I'd need the money! But I'll have to give them for free to some association or such, since they're just gathering dust now. My son clearly prefers his new ones, and the manufacturer can substitute them in just a few days son we don't really need spares.

But exactly why shouldn't you buy them from ebay or wherever you want? Maybe insurance issues? We have a different system here so to get his new ones I had to pay for them, while I had a contribution for the previous ones from State (about half of the price) because I had a Dr's prescription. I couldn't have a prescription for the new ones since all doctors recommended CI for my kid.

Perhaps your Audie would be able to sell them on consignment to a client that really needs new ones, but cannot afford the new price. That way you'd get some money back, the Audie would get a percentage as consignment (10%?) as well as having the HAs new owners as clients for fittings, moulds etc ... possibly win-win-win for everyone.

Might be worth asking about - even if they don't typically do this, they might have a client in mind specifically who would benefit as a "one time idea".

If you don't mind, how much did it cost to sterilize and refit to your needs? How old were the ones you purchased?

My audiologist location does free repairs and you pay price for parts and he marked down as a repair and from what he explained he only took apart and sterilize the outside as well as ear hook and wiped down it. I was charged for reprogramming which is adjustment fee of $25 plus $40 office visit with $20 copay. They were 2008 model or phonak and gently used before a the person was placed with CI from what I understand. I only have used phonak and he suggested different ones from that company that can suit my neeeds.

I hope that I know what I am doing buying used hearing aids off E Bay. After all, I know bikes, but not hearing aids. I would hate to buy a 10 years old hearing aid. A 2 or 3 year old one should be sufficient, I would think. I hope I know how old they are before I bid on them.

I hope that I know what I am doing buying used hearing aids off E Bay. After all, I know bikes, but not hearing aids. I would hate to buy a 10 years old hearing aid. A 2 or 3 year old one should be sufficient, I would think. I hope I know how old they are before I bid on them.
HAs have serial numbers on them. Maybe you can request the serial number then contact the manufacturer and ask when they were made.

Sorry - you couldn't pay me enough to buy (or attempt to buy) used (or new) hearing aids off eBay ...

Who knows if they work, how they'd been used/maintained, if they're STOLEN ...etc. etc.

Not to mention in many places it's actaully illegal to sell HAs because they are a PRESCRIPTION ITEM (ie an Audiologist has to do the testing, and then PRESCRIBE the correct type for you ... we don't think if it that way because the audiologist does all this then orders the HAs in directly, so you aren't taking a "medical Rx" to be filled somewhere)

Honestly - I really think you are going to end up taken advantage of etc. If you really need new HAs, talk to your Audiologist and see if they can keep them mind open for one of their clients who might for one reason or another be getting rid of /moving out of newer HAs (switching brands, etc due to a major HL change, getting a CI etc)... that way at least you have SOME valid information on the HA (and prior user)

Good luck if you do this ... but honestly, I think it's a huge mistake. Sorry.

My current hearing aids are from eBay. I lost my $5700 HAs in Sept 2010 and lost the $1250 replacement pair (well one of them) in Jan 2011. So I got a pair of Resound Plus5 on eBay for $300 including shipping, and my audiologist programmed them for $40. I figure that since I lose hearing aids a lot, I better not spend a lot of money on them. I am really happy with the Resounds actually. They are only a couple of years old, digital technology, and I did my research before buying them. I think as long as you do the research you can do it...just don't buy anything really old, yeah.

Back