What about the negatives aspects on CI? Should it be notify?

Hi all,
I'm the blog author in question and the article was indeed printed:

Hands & Voices :: Articles

It is very important that parents of newly diagnosed deaf children are provided with these stories. Most of the parents who I have worked with have told me that they were bombarded with the success stories of children with implants and how they need to impant their children before the window of language development closes only to have their children unable to benefit from their CIs or the CIs fail. As a result, their children become deprived of a language. This is why I strongly believe that both sign and spoken languages should be used with all children so no children become deprived of a language.

Thank you for the link to the web site and organization. I notice you are the director of Parents/Deaf Adults for this organization Hands and Voices. Has your article been published in any professional literature? Also do you have an current numbers of cochlear implant failure and successes. I would love to see any current data to go along with your article.

It was very interesting.

The article was published in the Hands & Voices Communicator. It hasn't been submitted anywhere else. It is very difficult to get any statistics on implants. The FDA maintains a MAUDE database where implant centers and doctors report failures. In some cases, the testing shows that the implant is functioning but individuals are not getting results from it. These individuals may stop using their implants and it doesn't get reported.

It is very important that parents of newly diagnosed deaf children are provided with these stories. Most of the parents who I have worked with have told me that they were bombarded with the success stories of children with implants and how they need to impant their children before the window of language development closes only to have their children unable to benefit from their CIs or the CIs fail. As a result, their children become deprived of a language. This is why I strongly believe that both sign and spoken languages should be used with all children so no children become deprived of a language.

A lot depends on the implant center and the early intervention approach in each state. States that have a non-biased approach in early intervention also include programs where parents can meet and talk with deaf and hard of hearing adults.

A lot depends on the implant center and the early intervention approach in each state. States that have a non-biased approach in early intervention also include programs where parents can meet and talk with deaf and hard of hearing adults.

I would like to see that become mandatory in ealy intervention programs.

Enjoyed the article very much. You have done a wonderful job of presenting both sides of a very sensitive issue, and have done a great service to those parents looking for accurate portrayals of CI users. Thank you.:ty:

The article was published in the Hands & Voices Communicator. It hasn't been submitted anywhere else. It is very difficult to get any statistics on implants. The FDA maintains a MAUDE database where implant centers and doctors report failures. In some cases, the testing shows that the implant is functioning but individuals are not getting results from it. These individuals may stop using their implants and it doesn't get reported.

Thanks for answering my question. As a bilateral CI user, I have been looking for that data as well. I'm sure others just stop wearing them and I know many who love them. I guess because of what it has given me, I can't imagine being without them. When I decided on them, my outlook was just like a hearing aid. If it gives me as much as my hearing aid gave me then I would be happy. It gave me so much more.

Karen, I would like to know more about Hands and Voices. I visited the web site, but can you give a little summary for me.

I would like to see that become mandatory in ealy intervention programs.

Enjoyed the article very much. You have done a wonderful job of presenting both sides of a very sensitive issue, and have done a great service to those parents looking for accurate portrayals of CI users. Thank you.:ty:

Thanks for your nice feedback.

Hands & Voices has a Guide By Your Side program that several states have adopted. You can read about it here:

Hands & Voices :: Guide by your Side

Karen, I would like to know more about Hands and Voices. I visited the web site, but can you give a little summary for me.

Sure! I discovered Hands & Voices (Hands & Voices) a few years ago when I was trying to put together a website for parents in IL. Hands & Voices is a parent-driven organization that is dedicated to providing non-biased support to parents with deaf and hard of hearing children. When we say non-biased, it simply means that we don't have an outcome in mind for that family (you should do it this way or that way...), that we understand the whole process is a journey-- of finding answers and finding what works for their child. We all want the same thing-- a well-adjusted, successful kid. When I first got involved, Hands & Voices had a few chapters. Today, we're involved in over 30 states and worldwide.
For more information on the non-biased approach:

Hands & Voices :: Supporting Families Without Bias

That's really good to know! BTW...good article!

Back