What about relatives?

horsegal

Reaction score
I am learning ASL for my niece, who is 7 and Deaf, but is mainstreamed. She does not sign much now (ironically enough, I know more now than she does because her parents aren't keen on the idea of her learning sign) but I finally convinced them to take her to ASL classes at our local residential school.

ANYWAY, enough of background.

My question is this -- suppose she does learn to sign, and decides to use this as her main form of communication. Is there something that hearing relatives can do to have VP or something similar to stay in contact? She is young so I am just learning this, it is all new to me. Any thoughts or opinions on the matter? Thanks!

If your relatives know ASL and you plan teaching her ASL I say go for VP, but you might do just as well with an Internet connection, a computer and a webcam.

Like Botts says, since you have Skype, try that.

How does that work? Skype for the deaf?

Skype has a video (visual) component, in addition to a phone (audio) component. So, you can communicate through a "video call". HTH.

Does she have vp now? if not , she should be signing up for it but with her parents consent. As long they have high speed internet like DSL or cable then that is fine. When she calls you through VRS, it will make her use her reading sign skills to "listen" to you thru terp and she use sign to express herself, carry on a conversation with you which in turn enforces her to use sign. Over time she will become more proficient.

IMHO forget the skype thing. its only if both end of the party uses skype to talk directly with each other. This is a good option if she is not skilled enough to sign an entire conveersation .

Using any VRS is free, and it enables the VRS companies to grow as more and more people use the VRS agencies at no cost to you.

I was under the impression that horsegal wanted to sign directly with her niece, not thru relay. That's why I recommended Skype. Of course, VRS is an option for the niece.The VP will be free for her. Horsegal would have to pay for VP if she wants to keep in direct contact that way. I guess it depends on whether she prefers direct or relay contact, and how much she wants to spend.

I am learning ASL for my niece, who is 7 and Deaf, but is mainstreamed. She does not sign much now (ironically enough, I know more now than she does because her parents aren't keen on the idea of her learning sign) but I finally convinced them to take her to ASL classes at our local residential school.

ANYWAY, enough of background.

My question is this -- suppose she does learn to sign, and decides to use this as her main form of communication. Is there something that hearing relatives can do to have VP or something similar to stay in contact? She is young so I am just learning this, it is all new to me. Any thoughts or opinions on the matter? Thanks!

How does she expressively communicate? Does she use her voice? I think the idea of Skype was a good one.

What kind of supports does she have in the classroom? I'm not clear as to how long she's been learning sign language, but often times a child who is DHH who uses their voice will not use signs expressively all the time because they can communicate verbally with the hearing population. The need for sign language is still there though, for the receptive understanding and clarity.

I have no idea if the above applies to your niece though, without knowing her history. My son is the same age with a bilateral severe hearing loss. We have used sign language and voice with him, and he is doing well. I hope your niece's parents seek out some more information and decide to use sign with her on a regular basis. They will be amazed it the benefit it has. I realize though, that you probably have to be careful not to overstep boundaries. She's lucky to have an Auntie like you ;-)

I should add... In my opinion even if the child can expressively communicate with their voice, they should still work on signing expressively. It's important to be able to communicate with other individuals who are Deaf.

Thanks for the responses!

She is 7 years old, mainstreamed, and speaks English well. However, her hearing has steadily been declining, and audiologist said she will need an interpreter by time she gets into 5th grade -- which is why I am pushing for her to learn ASL. They don't want her to learn sign UNTIL she needs it, but I think she should learn NOW, while she is young! I have brought her out with me and a Deaf family who I have become close with, and they have taught her a little bit, but she doesn't know much. I just thought it would be fun for her to use VP, maybe a little incentive for her to practice more with me! But now I've heard that hearing people cannot get VP at all. Is something like Skype the only way to go?

She is 7 years old, mainstreamed, and speaks English well. However, her hearing has steadily been declining, and audiologist said she will need an interpreter by time she gets into 5th grade -- which is why I am pushing for her to learn ASL. They don't want her to learn sign UNTIL she needs it, but I think she should learn NOW, while she is young! I have brought her out with me and a Deaf family who I have become close with, and they have taught her a little bit, but she doesn't know much. I just thought it would be fun for her to use VP, maybe a little incentive for her to practice more with me! But now I've heard that hearing people cannot get VP at all. Is something like Skype the only way to go?
Hearing people can get video phones but they have to pay for the equipment and service.

The challenge for your niece if they wait to start signing with her, is that communication and understanding will be incredibly difficult. If they wait until she "needs" an interpreter in 5th grade, she will be playing catch up and won't understand and benefit from the terp because she won't have a solid command of the language.

It would absolutely be to her benefit if her parents with whom she communicates on a regular basis start to sign with her.

Unfortunately as a deaf child, she won't necessarily be able to live up to her potential year after year if she's not truly accessing the curriculum and her surroundings.

My son has a bilateral severe hearing loss, and has two interpreters.

May I ask, why do they want to wait? What is their concern?

If you, or the parents want to connect with another parent whose been there, or even just another perspective I'm happy to talk. Just send me a PM...

Her parents are just listening to the audiologists n etc, who tell them that she doesn't need to start signing til she NEEDS an interpreter. Which is a load of crap, if you ask me, that's why I am pushing so hard for her to learn NOW. And she will takeup ASL class starting next week. For that I am grateful!

I just want to be able to support her as much as I can, since my own ASL skills are becoming stronger; my boyfriend and his entire family are Deaf, and they are willing to help her learn, as well. I just don't have a ton of time to devote to driving all the way to get her and bring her everywhere with me, nor do I want to steal her from her family.. know what I mean? That's why I am trying hard to show her parents that Deaf is not a negative thing. It is difficult when all the professionals around them are so "pro-hearing". I'm sure this is nothing new to you guys. I am glad to at least have my eyes opened to the Deaf perspective. I just hope my family can see the same things I do.

Glad you're there for your niece. She's lucky to have someone like you in her life.

Her parents might be in denial about the fact their daughter is going deaf?

Anyway, best of luck to you and her.

Hearing people can get video phones but they have to pay for the equipment and service.

Reba,

You wrote this 2 years ago: do you know if it's still true? If it is, do you mean that hearing people can buy a Sorenson box and VP service? Or something else?

Back