What about personal rights to choose?

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes I aware that model of CI is better than old one but you know my opinion about babies/toddler.
I hope you don´t mind me to ask you question.

Did you visit CI and deaf children at kindergarten, school or meet deaf people before you implanted your daughter with CI?
Even before we knew about CI we had her in a kindergarten for deaf/hoh children. That's where we later also saw children with CI. Still, she first used HA's while the application for CI started, since if HA's would have been working for her, we would not have had her operated.

I would advise you to meet the parents of HA and CI children because your daughter is deaf. They will accept you if you learn for your daughter.
We are in daily contact when delivering our child to the kindergarten and even more intense when we are on a week course for sign-language with other families.

Would you put your daughter to deaf or hard of hearing school?

We have kindergarten for deaf, CI & HOH children before they goes to school here in Germany.[/COLOR]
She'll continue in this deaf-kindergarten until fall for 100%, then next year she'll be there for 40% (2 days) since we can see that exposure to signlanguage is holding her back in her speech. We noticed this extra when we were in holland for 2 weeks where using 1 language and no sign speeded up her talking.
Then, after a year of 60% in a hearing kindergarten, we will have her 1 year at 100%. The following year she will go to a normal school, mainstream. We will probably still make sure that she get's sign language.

Cloggy, How old is your daughter now? I thought she was 3 years old, and she is in kindergarten now?

Cheri said:
Cloggy, How old is your daughter now? I thought she was 3 years old, and she is in kindergarten now?
Born august 2002, 3½ years old now. We had her exposed to sign when we got confirmed that she was profoundly deaf, before she turned 1. She learned to walk there! We felt that she needed (and we) to be exposed to as much sign as possible, and that went very well. Her first signs were "egg" and "milk".

Cloggy said:
Born august 2002, 3½ years old now. We had her exposed to sign when we got confirmed that she was profoundly deaf, before she turned 1. She learned to walk there! We felt that she needed (and we) to be exposed to as much sign as possible, and that went very well. Her first signs were "egg" and "milk".

Sounds cute how she learned her first signs "egg and milk" I'll love to see that. :) But you didn't answered my other question yet, Is she right now in kindergarten? The reason I am asking because I read your above respond to Liebling, I thought kindergarten starts taking students at the age of 5. Unless your country is different than ours. :dunno:

Audiofuzzy said:
you sly fox :laugh2: :Owned:

Well I must admit you do have a point here, lololol, but..

Well Angel I think when someone feels like he is belonging in the deaf world, and wants to remain in the deaf world and stay true and loyal to deaf ways despite getting CI,
then it is not the same as when one decides to go get CI and then drops off the deaf scene because he thinks he is "better" now.

Hypothetically, I have dillema here - I want to show everybody I am deaf at heart, I respect deaf ways, I want to stay with deaf ways and I want to be accepted by the deaf community AND have CI.

But if I risk getting rejected despite my DEDICATION to deaf ways then I feel like I have no free will.
After all many people here pointed out "you are still deaf if you have HA or CI" (and that is true), and it is not a case when one or two people turn their back on me (yes, not the true friends, obviously) but the MAJORITY of deaf community.
but I don't want to dive into hearing world I just want to have CI hear something and STAY in the deaf world. Why then am I being rejected?

(And mind you, this is only hypothetical scenario I am not talking about myself really I just give an example)

But I would love to know your opinion on this..

Fuzzy

Let me tell you a little bit about myself here while growing up, my twin and I became deaf at the age of 5 from illness, my parents did not know how to raise two deaf children, my grandmother was the one who did the pushy by telling my father to put us two in a special need program for deaf children, keep this in mind, there wasn't enough information about deaf children back in the 70's , when we lived in Chicago, we were put in school where there were deaf children , we learn sign language a little bit at a time , until we moved back to Ohio , we were put in a public school and mainstreamed from then on where there were NO interpreters to understand what was being said during classes, etc, it got very hard on the two of us to the point where we were very behind in class and failing,( if you noticed our grammers ) my parents didn't know what else to do, so they put us in speech therapy to help us read lips well and use our voices etc, until we reach to high school, there was a program called Total Communicate (TC ) where we met more deaf kids like us, some did not accept us cause we weren't in deaf schools with them before, we were more of an outsider to them because they were so experiences with ASL, and most of them do not use their voice when my sister and I only sign SEE and talk very well like a hearing person, but it didn't stop us from being involved in the deaf community, we are just still deaf even we hear so well with the use of our hearing aids, but at the same time we know we will slowly be accept in the deaf community...As you can see, it not about how much we hear with the use of hearing aids or CI, it just how some deaf people still have " deaf pride " in them, and I refuse to let it effect me cause I know for one thing not all deaf people are alike, and I wish they will look at us not from how we talk so well, or what sort of devices that are helping us here, they should look at us that we are deaf just like the rest of them, no difference...

If some deaf people will not accept me cause how I was raised in oral method, and how well I could hear with the use of my hearing aid, then that's their lost but they're not going to stop me from being part of the deaf community cause I do belong there whether they like it or not....I like to fit in both worlds but more of me wants to be involved with people like myself that is deaf or hard of hearing, cause they know exactly how I feel, how can a hearing person know? they never been in my life to know how it feel to be deaf....

Cheri said:
Sounds cute how she learned her first signs "egg and milk" I'll love to see that. :) But you didn't answered my other question yet, Is she right now in kindergarten? The reason I am asking because I read your above respond to Liebling, I thought kindergarten starts taking students at the age of 5. Unless your country is different than ours. :dunno:

Kindergarten here in Germany and most European countries for hearing or deaf children start from 3 years old but Deaf children stay at kindergarten until 7 years old then go to school. Hearing children stay at Kindergarten until 6 years old then go to school.

Cloggy, it´s cute to see toddler sign like this.. egg, milk, eat, drink, mama, papa, etc.... :D I remember when my both hearing sons when they were toddler to sign us like this... How you feel when you see your daughter sign to you.. egg, milk...

Kindergarten here in Germany and most European countries for hearing or deaf children start from 3 years old but Deaf children stay at kindergarten until 7 years old then go to school. Hearing children stay at Kindergarten until 6 years old then go to school..

That's is so interesting, I never knew that. Thanks! Ours in United States, kindergarten starts at the age of 5 have to be potty trained, just for one year of kindergarten, Some schools have full day kindergarten and half day kindergarten. Jordan is full time. ;) and then when the year is over, the kindergarten kids go onto first grade.

Wow, I had no idea Liebling, I didn't know Cloggy is from Germany...

I don't care if a CI users decides to join the deaf world. I do care if a CI users considers himself/herself as a hearing person or being cured because in reality, they are still deaf. Take away their CI and they are deaf.

If I gave my child CI, I would still teach him sign language. I would still help my child understand deafness. After all, my child is still deaf. CI is just a device to help my child hear.

^Angel^ said:

Not Germany, He's from Norway. ;)

Well Said, Vampy! :thumb:

Cloggy said:

Aww, how cute, I guess I was wrong about you, I wish my parents knew back then about how to raise deaf children but oh well....

You're doing a good job and I'm glad you're teaching her to sign :smiling:

VamPyroX said:
I don't care if a CI users decides to join the deaf world. I do care if a CI users considers himself/herself as a hearing person or being cured because in reality, they are still deaf. Take away their CI and they are deaf.

If I gave my child CI, I would still teach him sign language. I would still help my child understand deafness. After all, my child is still deaf. CI is just a device to help my child hear.

:gpost: Well said there Vampy , that's exactly what I would do also :cheers:

Cheri said:
Sorry, forgot that. Yes, Kindergarten since she was 1.... (like I said, learned to walk there.)

*off topic*
I never used sign language.. I would love to do it but I'm a hard of hearing person who have to live in his hearing environment... I mostly use 'body and face' language instead of sing.. I like it but most people looks at me strangely when I try to use body signs... :D

Cloggy,you nearly managed to make me cry.. :hug:

*on topic* end of the post :)

Kindergarten here in Germany and most European countries for hearing or deaf children start from 3 years old but Deaf children stay at kindergarten until 7 years old then go to school. Hearing children stay at Kindergarten until 6 years old then go to school.

Cloggy, it´s cute to see toddler sign like this.. egg, milk, eat, drink, mama, papa, etc.... :D I remember when my both hearing sons when they were toddler to sign us like this... How you feel when you see your daughter sign to you.. egg, milk...
Cried from happyness.

^Angel^ said:

Cloggy is a Dutch. He married a Norwegian and live in Norway. They together have 3 kids... Their deaf daughter is their 3rd and last child.

Cheri said:
That's is so interesting, I never knew that. Thanks! Ours in United States, kindergarten starts at the age of 5 have to be potty trained, just for one year of kindergarten, Some schools have full day kindergarten and half day kindergarten. Jordan is full time. ;) and then when the year is over, the kindergarten kids go onto first grade.

wow, your children goes their first school aged 6 after one year at Kindergarten. Just curious question... Why not early than 5 years old?

Yes my children goes full day kindergarten for 3 years since they were 3 years old.

Interesting to know that USA and European countries are different. wow... Thank you for share about your country with us.

Cloggy said:
Sorry, forgot that. Yes, Kindergarten since she was 1.... (like I said, learned to walk there.)

One year old? :shock: Is it same with hearing children as well in Norway?

wow, your children goes their first school aged 6 after one year at Kindergarten. Just curious question... Why not early than 5 years old?

It's just the way it is. But, before they reach the age of five, they are allow to go to any preschool program, some provides for free, some have to pay, some like co-op preschool which is a short for cooperative, is an organization that is owned or managed by the members of the group, Parent have to be involved, take responsibility be a helper, help with teaching, play, clean, prepare food, fund raise, be around young kids, know the other parents, etc. I was turned down on co-op preschool program for my son, Markus when he was young, They didn't want a deaf mother helping out, They labeled me dangerous mother because the fact that I'm deaf. :( I couldn't suit them because, it's an organization which managed by members who are parents of kids that go to that program. They all voted no expect one parent voted yes. It's very sad how some people can be very judgemental.

Back