What a Day!

set2

Reaction score
I spent my day getting hearing tests a CT and talking to an otologist. The plan is to try new hearing aids and then be evaluated for a CI I have an appointment in March for the evaluation. I could do that sooner but I want to try the hearing aids first as my current hearing aids don't help enough. Without hearing aids my Word discrimination is 20 (Left) and 0 (Right). I don't think I am quite ready for a CI but at least I will be followed up by the audis who deal with CIs. I also talked to someone about new hearing aids and I will be trying SUMO DMs. I wanted color. so I am getting a transluscent HOT PINK. They seem to have the most wiggle room as far as being able to be adjusted when needed. Has anyone else tried the SUMO DMs?

Yes, I tried that just for a few minutes . It had POWER ! :eek:

Sumo DM is good for profound loss.
I am not agains CIs but try hearing aids first !
If you get enough gain and benefit on speech from hearing aids then that is the way you should have.
CIs are for those who cannot get enough benefit from HAs.
I currently wear two hearing aids, Win112 from Bernafon. I have severe ( 88 Decibels ) loss in my left ear and profound (92 decibels) loss in my right ear and my hearing aids offer the power I need . I am going to try my these new aids till mid summer and see if I can get enough. If not, CI would be the way for me .

That sounds like a good plan!

I hope you manage to find a set of hearing aids that you are happy with and then if not then at least you know the option of CIs is there if you want to use it.

Thanks!

Highlands, thanks for the warning about the power of the SUMOS. I am prepared to have my ears blasted. Unfortunately, I think that is what they need. I also think it would be a good idea to keep the nerves stimulated better than they are now because I have been told that at some point I will need a CI and I think doing so could help make the adjustment to a CI easier. Have you tried an FM system? I am thinking of trying one to help me with meetings at work and the continuing education classes I have to take.

Without hearing aids my Word discrimination is 20 (Left) and 0 (Right).
What about with hearing aids?
I don't think I am quite ready for a CI but at least I will be followed up by the audis who deal with CIs.
That's definitly my advice too...........experiment with different hearing aids. Hey, even maybe try a body worn aid! I'm no audi, but I really think in some cases some folks with profound losses need the power of a body worn. aid. Size still equates with power in some cases.
You actually are eligable for a CI if your word discrimation in one of your ears is zero. They have been loosening eligbilty so that people with no speech discrimation in one ear, can be able to be implanted. I think that rocks. Keep your mind open, and definitely experiment. I know some of my posts may be constructed as anti-CI, but I'm just very hardcore about experimenting.

Highlands, thanks for the warning about the power of the SUMOS. I am prepared to have my ears blasted. Unfortunately, I think that is what they need. I also think it would be a good idea to keep the nerves stimulated better than they are now because I have been told that at some point I will need a CI and I think doing so could help make the adjustment to a CI easier. Have you tried an FM system? I am thinking of trying one to help me with meetings at work and the continuing education classes I have to take.

you are welcome :)

I have never had an FM system ,It would be good for you in the situations you mentioned ,though...

and yes .. try hearing aids first ..perhaps at least for six months in order to let your brain to get used to sounds.. your brain will need a lot of time to adjust.. after this period, see if you get satisfying benefit from HAs.

good luck :)

Current CI candidacy criteria state that one can have up to 60% speech discrimination in their better ear and 50% or less in the worst ear with hearing aids (as well as a severe-profound hearing loss bilaterally). I agree with the others who suggested that you try HAs first. If you receive little or no benefit from them, definitely look into a CI! Good luck! :)

About FM systems - when I still could benefit from hearing aids I had one and I absolutely loved it. It really took the hard work out of listening for me and at university a lot of the students copied my notes because they could hardly hear in the lecture halls! But I've also seen posts on here (I think from Deafdyke) who thought they were useless so your own experience may be different to mine.

It's definitely worth a try if you are going with hearing aids and it won't be wasted if you go on to a CI later as many of them are compatible with CI use. I can use my FM system that I bought 8 years ago with my CI that I had implanted 5 months ago.

That's good to know

R2,

Thanks for the info, I have been told that an FM system can cost as much as a hearing aid so it is good to know it would not be wasted if I go the CI route at some point.

What started me on trying to do something more about my hearing loss is being at a very important meeting three months ago and realizing I could understand very little of what people were saying and my hearing aid were turned all the way up and had fresh batteries. The room felt like it was closing in and all I wanted to do was get out of the room. I managed to stay but it was the first time I realized my hearing loss could affect my job. I am sure I did not make a good impression sitting there with a deer in the headlight look.

But I've also seen posts on here (I think from Deafdyke) who thought they were useless so your own experience may be different to mine.
Not useless......just more really overrated. Like they are useful if the teacher has a really soft speaking voice, but in most cases I've found that most people I know, can get along with hearing aids and sitting up front.

Good Point

Deaf,

I appreciate your imput. You brought up a good point about the word discrimination with hearing aids. I wondered myself why that is not tested.
It would be good if everyone who gets hearing aids has a HINT test and word discrimination test ( both aided) to see how much they benefit. It should at least be standard for those with severe to profound hearing loss. It would also give patients a way of seeing which hearing aids work best for them. Unfortunately, I think it has something to do with more people seeking hearing aids and not enough audiologists.

Deaf,

I appreciate your imput. You brought up a good point about the word discrimination with hearing aids. I wondered myself why that is not tested.
It would be good if everyone who gets hearing aids has a HINT test and word discrimination test ( both aided) to see how much they benefit. It should at least be standard for those with severe to profound hearing loss. It would also give patients a way of seeing which hearing aids work best for them. Unfortunately, I think it has something to do with more people seeking hearing aids and not enough audiologists.

My audi did those for me with my new hearing aids....wasn't aware that's not 'standard' and yes this did help my decision with puchasing my current aids.

In the 20+ years I've worn HAs, my audis have always performed the HINT test with and without HAs.

If you decide to be evaluated for a CI at some point, you will be given the HINT as well as single word test aided (and unaided) to find out how much benefit you receive from HAs.

When you are given a hearing test in the future, request that you be given the HINT test aided. (Typically this is part of a standard hearing evaluation.)

Back