WFD now bans "deaf-mute" and "hearing impaired"

flip

Reaction score
Found this here, a statement from WFD, About us

Is it OK to use the term “deaf-mute”, “deaf and dumb” or “hearing impaired” in reference to a deaf person who can’t talk?
No, it’s no longer an acceptable term.

I find it a bit funny that they say it's not acceptable to use the term "deaf-mute" for deaf persons who can't talk. I'm a member of WFD by the way.

What do you think?

What is the preferred term? Is there one? At some point, someone somewhere might need to mention "Hey, this person does not speak." Do we try for "this person does not speak" or "vocally impaired" or what?

What is the preferred term? Is there one? At some point, someone somewhere might need to mention "Hey, this person does not speak." Do we try for "this person does not speak" or "vocally impaired" or what?

Vocally challenged?

Vocally challenged?

I might be naive, but I always felt that "mute" was not offensive. I have rarely used that term, but if it is unacceptable, I would hope for something else to be used. Nothing quite like someone condescendingly roasting me when I am trying to be polite.

I might be naive, but I always felt that "mute" was not offensive. I have rarely used that term, but if it is unacceptable, I would hope for something else to be used. Nothing quite like someone condescendingly roasting me when I am trying to be polite.

We have thick skin, I suppose. I carry around a small pad of paper I call my "mute notes." *shrugs*

Deaf-mute is much better to use than Deaf-dumb.

Deaf-mute rarely being used. I know some can't speak at all, when someone ask me about them I just say (sign if terp there or paper and pen) they Deaf and full BSL user.

^^^I agree. Dumb has such different meaning now. But mute?

So on my tv, will I be pressing the "vocally challenged" button? Give me a break! :lol:

So on my tv, will I be pressing the "vocally challenged" button? Give me a break! :lol:

Wow, that is quite a remote you have there.

You prefer vocally absent? :D

For the life of me, I cannot think of the perfect term.

We'll all need bigger remotes just to accommodate the current PC verbage on the button. Sheesh! :giggle:

We'll all need bigger remotes just to accommodate the current PC verbage on the button. Sheesh! :giggle:

The "button formerly known as mute" (BFKAM) would be the biggest one on the remote to get all that wordage on it.

What about voice off? There is the term nonverbal, but that is used for people with severe or profound mental handicap who cannot speak.

^^^It doesn't sound optional? I always thought that voice-off was a choice.

^^^It doesn't sound optional? I always thought that voice-off was a choice.
Yes, a description of choosing to not speak. It would be ok to use as a replacement; better than "vocally challenged" or "audibly incoherant" or whatever.

Still maybe there needs to be a term for it. It is going to become very rare
When I think voice off, I think " Deaf person who ONLY signs" and doesn't even have hearing aids or CIs at ALL.

Back