Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf

calvertc

Reaction score
What going on that school?? I grew up WPSD from 1990 till 2002 I hear that Mr. Don Rhoten will be retire on 2016. I hear lot of issues about it explain to me thanks

I saw some stuff on my feed about WPSD- one of my friends works at WPSD (I think her husband does too). Will look again.

Thought there was but nothing related to this thread. Just photos. Will keep an eye out though.

Last edited:
I dunno, I am 100% WPSD, and Alumni member as well. I am going to wait and see. Not sure what is going on as I thought they have made changes for better. I graduated just 2 years before they made major overhaul. The last time I was there was last year and it looks much better than when I was younger but missed these old days.

I try to find out what really going on. But I knew WPSD very great school ever I grew up there. I don't have neg feed back about WPSD

I really missed WPSD and old day I left WPSD in 2002 cuz my family move to SC. sometime I wish my family wouldn't move to SC I miss all my classmates

I thought they were great school after Dr. No (Only WPSDian, and RSDians knows who I am talking about) left WPSD, I saw major changes at WPSD in 1987 and was thrilled to hear improvement... now what?

BTW, didn't you know that Obama's front desk secretary whose decision whether let somebody enter and meet Obama in oval office or not is actually Deaf, and is WPSD Alumni member and graduate as well.

BTW, didn't you know that Obama's front desk secretary whose decision whether let somebody enter and meet Obama in oval office or not is actually Deaf, and is WPSD Alumni member and graduate as well.

I knew she Deafie,didnt know she was wpsd...
Wicked..

I knew she Deafie,didnt know she was wpsd...
Wicked..

Yea, I read in WPSD Alumni newsletter mentioning that and that was last Spring. I could dig up and find more details but too blah to do so. LOL
I did check on website, may be too old news, newer news on top you know.

Wow... that's really cool! Would love to publicize that to those parents and experts who think that Deaf Schools aren't exactly the best... NOT saying this proves that Deaf Schools are awesome......but it also indicates that Deaf Schools, if they have well trained teachers and the right curriculum, can produce amazing results!

which of the three deaf schools in PA closed?

Actually there are FOUR! There's a very small Catholic Deaf School Archbishop Ryan, which is grouped with a high functioning Blind School. Both are located in Philly.

Scranton....and that was more of a reorgnaization.

No. WPSD bought that school so Scranton school for the Deaf is now part of WPSD.

I only know that PSD (PA school for the Deaf) in Philadelphia, PA have downsized to elementary only, no high school there.
I have no idea if DePaul Deaf school still alive or not.

I really missed WPSD and old day I left WPSD in 2002 cuz my family move to SC. sometime I wish my family wouldn't move to SC I miss all my classmates

I have same feeling when my family moved from NoVA to AL.

NoVA = Northern Virginia

No. WPSD bought that school so Scranton school for the Deaf is now part of WPSD.

I only know that PSD (PA school for the Deaf) in Philadelphia, PA have downsized to elementary only, no high school there.
I have no idea if DePaul Deaf school still alive or not.

No, that's what a reorgnaization means...... PSD EXPANDED to a high school the last I heard. ... Here's the link: http://www.psd.org/page.cfm?p=386
DePaul is still around but like most schools for the hard of hearing, it mostly serves little kids, with a very small elementary and middle school.
(goes from PK-8)
There's Archbishop Ryan, but it's very small (eight kids)
http://stl.ocephila.org/

When it comes to Audism, DePaul is worst, they are oral school just like Clarke.

LOL.... I can imagine! At least an oral school is MUCH better then an auditory verbal approach. (immersian at a hearing school with little no real dhh support) And I mean I know that there are always some kids at oral schools who go there for a time, to improve their speech and auditory access issues. Did you know that a lot of the staff at WPSD were DePaul alumni?

When it comes to Audism, DePaul is worst, they are oral school just like Clarke.

Did you know that Clarke allows Sign out of class? I think the audism at oral schools is a little better then in the days when kids were hit for signing.....but it's still pretty bad.

Back