Westboro still up to its dirty actions at funerals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm going discuss about more in PM because I don't want throw this thread into off topic because it is about funeral picketing and WBC.

No problem.

I am a Christian and Baptist as well. Phelps is not one of us. In fact, there is a thread here somewhere in which I personally went out and confronted the group.

My suggestion is not to react. to other people. If you change yourself out of anger over someone else, you have given them power over you.

Here is my "coming out of the closet" story ;)

My father is an ordained Baptist minister. He currently is not practicing but is still a "believer". He attended seminary at Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri and founded Bible Baptist Church in New Port Richey, Florida. My sister runs an international ministry for women called "Church for Chicks." It is a Baptist ministry for women of all faiths and walks of life. Her husband runs a Christ centered addiction and recovery program. Before his conversion, he was an all-star football player - addicted to cocaine. He made a full recovery, and now is now CEO of an accredited and Christ centered rehab clinic. My grandmother is an Episcopalian minister, non-practicing (dad's mom). My mother's family are nearly all Roman Catholic.

My father is deaf. My sister and I are HoH and her daughter is HoH. My father's brother, has bilateral cochlear implants. He is also a Baptist - and a little to the far, far, extremist side of the faith (not nearly as bad as Phelps - but in some ways, worse).

My father had disavowed his own brother for his extremist views many years ago. They have slowly patched up their relationship - and it took a very long time.

I was NEVER raised to believe any of the things that Nate Phelps was taught by his father. Ever. I was raised and taught a message of love and forgiveness. I have not attended church regularly for over 20 years, for very personal and private reasons, however, that message of love and forgiveness has stayed with me. I was lucky to have such a good dad I guess. We have a great relationship.

Fred Phelps is not a Baptist and does not preach Christianity. He uses his position as a bully pulpit to spread hate ... end of story.

Yup, I just bought it up about history with Fred Phelps.
Phelps is a miscreant and doesn't deserve to put any influence on your life. Nothing he says has any authority.

Phelps is a miscreant and doesn't deserve to put any influence on your life. Nothing he says has any authority.

Yup, I understand but the thread that I shared with you, was in 2006 and I was 18 years old, so I was too scared and too nut. I'm 24 now, soon to be 25, the time is FLYING.

Here is my "coming out of the closet" story ;)

My father is an ordained Baptist minister. He currently is not practicing but is still a "believer". He attended seminary at Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri and founded Bible Baptist Church in New Port Richey, Florida. My sister runs an international ministry for women called "Church for Chicks." It is a Baptist ministry for women of all faiths and walks of life. Her husband runs a Christ centered addiction and recovery program. Before his conversion, he was an all-star football player - addicted to cocaine. He made a full recovery, and now is now CEO of an accredited and Christ centered rehab clinic. My grandmother is an Episcopalian minister, non-practicing (dad's mom). My mother's family are nearly all Roman Catholic.

My father is deaf. My sister and I are HoH and her daughter is HoH. My father's brother, has bilateral cochlear implants. He is also a Baptist - and a little to the far, far, extremist side of the faith (not nearly as bad as Phelps - but in some ways, worse).

My father had disavowed his own brother for his extremist views many years ago. They have slowly patched up their relationship - and it took a very long time.

I was NEVER raised to believe any of the things that Nate Phelps was taught by his father. Ever. I was raised and taught a message of love and forgiveness. I have not attended church regularly for over 20 years, for very personal and private reasons, however, that message of love and forgiveness has stayed with me. I was lucky to have such a good dad I guess. We have a great relationship.

Fred Phelps is not a Baptist and does not preach Christianity. He uses his position as a bully pulpit to spread hate ... end of story.

Oh wow, that's very strong story that you shared with us.

I'm surprised that your father is deaf, along with some of your families have some hearing loss. My parent and all of my families are hearing, so I'm only one deaf person.

I used to attend at church regularly when I was little kid that lived with my grandparent, but not anymore. I only go to church on occasion, that's very rare for me.

is it possible that those who shout the loudest like this awful man are gay but nailed themselves in the closet...odious man..
he came to the uk.is he the guy who calls all gays 'fags'?he horrified me....people like him are no different to these mad moslems i think some hate gene that needs relegion to justify what they are....they all put me off relegion

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Foxrac said:

Yup, I understand but the thread that I shared with you, was in 2006 and I was 18 years old, so I was too scared and too nut. I'm 24 now, soon to be 25, the time is FLYING.

Yes, it is.

How they can read the same Bible I read, and decide to do this kind of thing, in the name of God, baffles me completely.

A couple of Bible quotes sum up my feelings on these folks using religion to persecute others...

Matt 7:1-2
“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged."

John 8:7
“All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!”

I'm glad that WBC is physically not permitted to cross the border into Canada so we don't have to deal with their hatred. The last few times they tried to get in they were delayed for hours and hours then told they weren't permitted to enter Canada because they're considered in Canada legally as a hate group.

How they can read the same Bible I read, and decide to do this kind of thing, in the name of God, baffles me completely.

A couple of Bible quotes sum up my feelings on these folks using religion to persecute others...

“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged."

I understand the first quote. That's true that some bible readers still judge people regardless of this quote. Obviously they don't respect it.

However, mind explaining what the second quote is about?

I'm glad that WBC is physically not permitted to cross the border into Canada so we don't have to deal with their hatred. The last few times they tried to get in they were delayed for hours and hours then told they weren't permitted to enter Canada because they're considered in Canada legally as a hate group.
Damn, really? How do Canadians know about that group? Is it well-known in your country? BTW, that's good for not allowing them in cuz that group is a troublemaker. I wish Congress forbid some hate groups but it can't due to freedom of speech.

Damn, really? How do Canadians know about that group? Is it well-known in your country?
I'm pretty sure many countries are aware of its vile existence.

BTW, that's good for not allowing them in cuz that group is a troublemaker. I wish Congress forbid some hate groups but it can't due to freedom of speech.
there's a limit to how much it can exercises its freedom of speech. if it got to the point where it's hateful and inciting violence, they will be arrested.

I'm pretty sure many countries are aware of its vile existence.
Actually, I didn't know about that group until someone here made a post about it.

there's a limit to how much it can exercises its freedom of speech. if it got to the point where it's hateful and inciting violence, they will be arrested.
Yeah, like KKK. FBI couldn't shut it down and arrested only some members involved in assaults or murders. I am not sure if it still exists today.

You must be using a modern translation...I have:

St. Matthew 7; 1-2

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged, and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

St. John 8; 7

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, he that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone against her."

I say adopt a don't worry be happy approach when dealing with nut cases trying to use the Bible against you:

St. Matthew 6; 34

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself."

Laura

I use NLT or NIV. What version is yours? Never saw the use of "St." before the names of the writers.

King James Version...BTW, The Douay Rhimes Bible also uses St. before the names.

It's an interesting exercise to compare how different translations of the Bible translates passages. More interesting is to do so with a copy of Strong's Concordance.

And Westboro is not a real Christian church by any stretch of the imagination. It is a horribly twisted version of Christianity.

I'm not Christian anymore, but I will stand up for real Christianity and tell people that Westboro is not it.

And Westboro is not a real Christian church by any stretch of the imagination. It is a horribly twisted version of Christianity.

I'm not Christian anymore, but I will stand up for real Christianity and tell people that Westboro is not it.
I also think of the rattlesnake handlers, when I think of other Christian identifying churches that I don't agree with.

Here is a documentary on one of those churches...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J79ThhMuxWg]In Jesus' Name: Taking Up Serpents - YouTube[/ame]

Really, it's inconceivable to me how anyone or a group of people could do the things they do like this at a Funeral.....Sooner or later, these protests are gonna result into deadly violence...just a matter of time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back