We're being left out of the big society, say the deaf

Smithtr

G.G.H.T
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thousands of deaf people are socially excluded because of a lack of adequate services for sign language users, campaigners say.

Up to 70,000 people, many of whom cannot lip-read or have poor English skills, use British Sign Language (BSL) as their first language. But half of them leave doctors’ appointments feeling confused because of the poor quality, or absence, of interpreters, research suggests.

Action on Hearing Loss has called for improvements in healthcare access and standards for the hearing impaired. A survey by the charity, formerly the Royal National Institute for Deaf People, found that half of BSL users left medical appointments confused. “We are talking about vital information on medication or even traumatic diagnoses,” said Helen Arber, the charity’s head of capacity development.

It also wants the Government to set a minimum standard for communication for deaf people throughout society. Of the 10 million Britons who have some form of hearing loss, more than 800,000 are severely or profoundly deaf. “There is still a huge way to go to ensure any kind of level playing field for them,” Ms Arber added.

“We are proud citizens but we are treated as lesser citizens,” said Jeff McWhinney, a former head of the British Deaf Association, who campaigned for the formal recognition of BSL as a language.

Activists have also complained to the BBC that sign language interpreters were not shown on screen during big events such as the Olympics, the Diamond Jubilee and Barack Obama’s election victory speech. Television broadcasters are legally required to provide subtitles for 80 per cent of programmes and sign language in 5 per cent of programmes.

Caroline Hurley, an IT manager who is deaf, said subtitles were often inadequate: “They are, on average, seven seconds slow and frequently stop when live speakers talk too fast, so we miss important information.”
We're being left out of the big society, say the deaf - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

I am not surprised by this either. Especially when dealing with medical "professionals" communication with me is non exsistent. My husband constantly tells them to talk slow and look at me but they never do. Amazes me that the people who work with D/deaf people seem to be the worst at communicating at least with me.

When I broke my leg and was in the ER in Maui my husband told them I was deaf. Later though I put on my CI so I could hear what was going on. The staff didn't know, I was shocked that they were talking to my husband as if I was a three year old. They wouldn't take the time to write things down for me. I am certain if my husband was not with me I would have been left there for hours screaming in pain. I was happy to fill out the survey they sent me and let them know how awful the people in the ER were. Won't change anything, but made me feel good putting it on writing. Sad just very sad!!!

Agreeing with Angel...and she said it the best....I've dealt with it so many years. Even being labeled as "mean and rude"....but I AM somebody and won't be ignored and have the right to the same accommodations/information, etc., as other people do.

Treating me like a "child" and looking to my boys as Intrepretors?....No way!...I spoke up!...

I am not surprised by this either. Especially when dealing with medical "professionals" communication with me is non exsistent. My husband constantly tells them to talk slow and look at me but they never do.

This is exactly what I deal with every day at work. Except it's between myself and coworkers, and quite frequently with customers.

"They never do." F* big key words here. They. Never. Do. After the last store meeting a few weeks ago without interpreters (because they never showed up), I gave up and had a meeting with my store manager in that I had to explain that I did not want to attend any more store meetings (they're usually good about interpreters) and department meetings without interpreters present. I've had enough. I can no longer follow discussions even between only two-three people. It's over. Those days are over. I'm no longer capable of it. (Actually, I've never been capable of it, I'm just tired of acting like I am, because it's too f* tiring to CONSTANTLY remind people WHO DON'T GIVE A GD!!!)

F* it. It's been a hard day today...

Last edited:
From the Canadian Hearing Society-Toronto- on how to deal with YOUR Hearing loss/DEAFness- be assertive. Speak up- I don't understand what is being said. If necessary also carry a pad and request the "other party" write.

What is the point of visiting a doctor and one doesn't understand what is being said?

The above is part of their course: Dealing/Coping with YOUR Hearing loss.

Who, me? I've been deaf since a baby, and this is a store environment, with over 80 people employed there. Impossible for one writer to keep up because of the "style" of communications that people bring to Houston, which is Yankee-style - you can't get a word in edge-wise, even if you're hearing.

The way I have to look at it is, this job is not forever, whether it be that the economy gets so bad that the company cannot continue to operate in such an environment and lays us off, my "ship finally comes in," or my body finally decides it can't continue living decades from now. I have to die, eventually, you know?

It is factually we will die-sometime- when?- HOWEVER what does one do in the meantime-communication-wise?

Suffer, put up with it? Quit the job? Pull my phone out and read some things while the banter goes back and forth? These people know GD well I'm deaf. Plus we have a lot of ground to cover in 2.5 hours.

As a bilateral DEAF person since December 20, 2006-I still use a VCO TTY. I have used it since January 1996.

Aside: My implant doesn't pick up speech on a regular/adapted telephone. I am one of persons that this happens. My brother with the same implant model-can. Fair?

How one reacts to circumstances is somewhat in one's control per CHS's advice.

A big hello to the group,

Hope you are all keeping ok :) , I wanted to share an experience I had whilst looking for work in my local area,"Blackpool uk" whilst studying BSL, SENDA, SENCO teaching tecniques with foundation knowledge on learning disorders
When you,re looking for work, as you can imagine its very difficult considering present climate. Getting to the point I used the personal approach and spoke to the managers/directors for each local shop/business in the town centre including the major well known retail companies armed with my CV, trying to put across my best impression, and I always asked them if they have any staff members in. Management and customer care who are trained and able sign, there was one response from one coompany which blew me away and totally backed-up my own personal view polarisation of the deaf community. When I asked the question, the companies Duty manager told me that they DON'T have deaf customers !, therefore my additional ability using sign wouldn't be an advantage. I asked how do you know if your customer deaf or HOH if you don't communicate with the customer, "Nil response". Totally discusting, yes the powers to be say we are supposed to be an equal opportunities ethical business practice, yes government regulations disallow descrimination as a practice so to speak, that's only a small measure towards the altimate goal of everyone working together to create a better fairer society, no way near enough. (Apologies for grammar my smart phone is a bit tempormental)). Any comments welcome, we all have our own thoughts on this matter.

You all take care

Kev

Back