Went to Audie this morning...

RacherBunny

Reaction score
Just an update

So I went to see an audie this morning and just as I thought, I have a hearing loss. It's a mild conductive loss.

The audie couldn't explain why my left ear goes deaf randomly (which is odd since my left is technically my "good" ear), or why I feel like my results don't portray how I feel my hearing really is (I feel that it's worse than what she has on graph).

Maybe it's more of an "understanding what I'm hearing" problem than an actual hearing problem.

She said I should go to an ENT to figure out what is causing the hearing loss and maybe they should be able to "fix" it. :roll: It could take anything from medication, another set of PE tubes, to surgery...but it all depends on what's causing it.

Any thoughts?

Just an update

So I went to see an audie this morning and just as I thought, I have a hearing loss. It's a mild conductive loss.

The audie couldn't explain why my left ear goes deaf randomly (which is odd since my left is technically my "good" ear), or why I feel like my results don't portray how I feel my hearing really is (I feel that it's worse than what she has on graph).

Maybe it's more of an "understanding what I'm hearing" problem than an actual hearing problem.

She said I should go to an ENT to figure out what is causing the hearing loss and maybe they should be able to "fix" it. :roll: It could take anything from medication, another set of PE tubes, to surgery...but it all depends on what's causing it.

Any thoughts?

Just that I wouldn't roll my eyes about fixing it .

If a conductive loss is caused by a tumor, or something nasty that can hurt or kill you, it's a good idea to go to an ENT and fix it.

Usually you should start with the ENT and get referred to an audiologist.

My PCP, audie, and I are all pretty sure it's either a residual problem from when I had so many ear infections as a child, or from all the scar tissue I have on my tympanic membrane (thanks to the PE tubes I had).

I just don't like the idea of surgery, if I can help it. I had many when I was younger and have been surgery free for awhile now. And at this point, I don't really think it's something I would do unless they find something that would warrant the need for surgery.

But I have to wait for my ENT appointment for any conclusions. I hate being impatient lol

Glad to hear you've got some information about what's going on. I hope its nothing like a tumor or anything! Good luck with your ENT!

thanks joycem! I'm sure it's not a tumour, most signs are pointing to the scar tissue and/or left over stuff from ear infections years ago.

i'm not sure what they can do with the scar tissue unless they replace the tympanic membrane :shock:

Don't worry too much about having surgery. I recently had ear surgery again and it didn't seem anything like as bad as I remember it being when I was a child.

thanks joycem! I'm sure it's not a tumour, most signs are pointing to the scar tissue and/or left over stuff from ear infections years ago.

i'm not sure what they can do with the scar tissue unless they replace the tympanic membrane :shock:

My daughter had her tympanic membrane replaced...twice...in one ear (the first one did not "take"). She's going to the ENT tomorrow because she may have ruptured the other one yet again (bf blew too hard in her ear last week). Can't wait to see the doctor's expression when my daughter tells him why she's there yet again.

My daughter had her tympanic membrane replaced...twice...in one ear (the first one did not "take"). She's going to the ENT tomorrow because she may have ruptured the other one yet again (bf blew too hard in her ear last week). Can't wait to see the doctor's expression when my daughter tells him why she's there yet again.

wow! that's an interesting story to tell the ENT!

if you don't me asking: how long is the procedure and how much did it help?

Back