Well today is the day....

DefLord

Reaction score
I get my CI activated... I am a bit nervous - not knowing what to expect... I have gone my whole life wearing a hearing aid and now I am transititioning over to the CI. They say I have to do 2 hours of programming today then 2 hours of programming on Monday and then 1 hour on the 15th. I'm half excited and half nervous - because what if it doesn't work (the CI failure) or whatsoever. Well will keep you guys posted! It is time for a change and to move forward!

Will post tonight my experiences.

Curious? Does it hurt? I have never really asked somebody who has a CI and I did have a girlfriend who had a CI in high school. She was very nice. The CI to me was not an issue and now that I have a BTE hearing aid it is more of not an issue. You need to hear something at work or at home etc. I wonder how she is doing now though. God Bless Her....

When I got the CI it was more of it was SORE than it hurt. That is all it was. Now I am getting the activation. Right now I have BTE - and now transititioning to the CI. So we'll see!

DefLord.....I know the research indicates that progressively deaf folks tend to do the best with the CI. At least you've got an advantage there. You might not hear as well as someone who's always had normal hearing, but you have an advantage over someone who's never really had access to hearing speech.

Hope you can hear with the CI. From what I understand. The CI is supposed to be scientifically better than the BTE. My doctor did recommend and said I qualified for the CI when I was at the doctor's office for my BTE hearing aids. I was nervous about going under the knife so I said no but now I love hearing again. I had forgotten how much I can hear and 10 -15 years without hearing aids is a long time.

Well it has been postponed.. I swear that audiology place is the WORST - I had to reschedule my audiology with them not twice but THREE times!!!

I am sooo irritated right now!

Sorry to hear about your hassles over appointments. That should not be especially regarding one's activation. I can see one reschedule as things do happen but not three. I was fortunate to have a very group of professionals that ran a tight ship. Nary a delay or rescheduling of an appt.

Believe me getting activated is one of the highlights of my life and I will never forget it. I just never anticipated how loud everything was going to be. Took a little to get used to it.

Best of success and soon at that...

DD - Yea, I would concur about progressives as that would apply to me except I never had normal hearing ever. I think Deflord will do just fine.

Well they finally came out and said that the laptop that programs the cochlear was stolen. *Sigh* Oh well.

So next week sometime!

DefLord said:
Well they finally came out and said that the laptop that programs the cochlear was stolen. *Sigh* Oh well.

So next week sometime!

Hmmm...stolen? They don't have a regular computer? That's strange.

Yeah , If I was you then I would check with this organization plus what if after surgery you get infected and there are some clincs that run scams.... I have seen one that tried to take medicare and get billed for more cash. I am keeping you in my prayers and that was not right of them. May God Bless and keep you safe. Here is your answer. I hope this helps.... http://www.cici.org/

Back