Well my ha is shot

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
So I came home from the gym tonight. Everything's fine. HA is working as it normally does. I put it in the dry n store and take a shower. After my shower (my hair is all dry btw) I put on my HA. Nothing. Thinking it's the battery, I change to a new battery. Nada. Great. The HA is done with.

Now I have to get a new HA over the next week.

Fun times.

Is it normal to simply not work anymore? Is there a way to probably get it checked/fixed first? :shrug:

Jamie (with hug)

Is it normal to simply not work anymore? Is there a way to probably get it checked/fixed first? :shrug:

Jamie (with hug)

That happened to me a few times and I sent it back to my audiologist who sent it to the company who got it fixed and sent back to me. The cost of repairs was much less than buying a new HA.

Im going to the audiologist in a couple hours, ill share the news with you and everyone else! Ill also hopefully find out what gains my HA was programmed at. I also probably will get a new unaided audiogram and possibly aided audiogram. :D

Is it normal to simply not work anymore?

This happened to me with my digital hearing aids. One afternoon while I was walking outside, they cut off and stopped working. When they were sent in for repair, I was told that the microphone shorted out.

All HAs either stop functioning temporarily or die at some point. It is always best to get it checked out first before replacing it. Your audiologist should be able to give you a reasonable estimate of the cost of repair, and you can determine whether it's worth that cost or it's financially better to replace it.

Keep us posted about what the audio things or the repair guys...

Thanks to those who answered my question :D

Jamie

Thanks everyone.

Well, I need to have a word with my audie. I'm using my old analog HA and I'm hearing high frequencies and sounds that I haven't heard since I got my digital. So apparently what it does is "equalize" sounds to the point where there is a straight line audiologically - there's no variation in volume from softest to loudest. If there is, I don't notice it.

With my analog HA, I'm hearing high frequencies and sounds that I haven't heard in several years, even WITH the power digital that I had on loaner. Speech over the phone and in many different situations is about a thousand times clearer.

I need to consider getting a power digital or some HA that DOESN'T have a program tell me what I should freaking hear.

EDIT: BTW, my HA that cut out is one that I bought in 2004. It's already been repaired once.

Does anyone know if they still make Analog Hearing Aids? And, if so, which brands do?

Thanks everyone.

Well, I need to have a word with my audie. I'm using my old analog HA and I'm hearing high frequencies and sounds that I haven't heard since I got my digital. So apparently what it does is "equalize" sounds to the point where there is a straight line audiologically - there's no variation in volume from softest to loudest. If there is, I don't notice it.

With my analog HA, I'm hearing high frequencies and sounds that I haven't heard in several years, even WITH the power digital that I had on loaner. Speech over the phone and in many different situations is about a thousand times clearer.

I need to consider getting a power digital or some HA that DOESN'T have a program tell me what I should freaking hear.

EDIT: BTW, my HA that cut out is one that I bought in 2004. It's already been repaired once.

To a lesser extent, I am having this problem. I want my HAs to be maxed out so im getting every last db of gain so I hear my best. Everyone has the right to get the best possible aided hearing! You probably should stick with your analog where the only concern is adjusting the volume wheel/dial. The only limitator is feedback, something digitals control better. Anyone with hearing better than profound or not a very steeply sloping hearing loss would benefit great from analogs, plus they cost so much less and don't break as fast.

Anyone with hearing better than profound or not a very steeply sloping hearing loss would benefit great from analogs...

You can't make general statements about who will or won't benefit from digital hearing aids since level of benefit varies from person to person. Some people with lesser degrees of hearing loss prefer the sound quality of digitals because it sounds clearer to them as opposed to analog (although this was never true for me). This needs to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Does anyone know if they still make Analog Hearing Aids? And, if so, which brands do?

Phonak has a half dozen or so, Oticon has the Sumo (not DM), Resound Sparx can be made to behave like an analog, Siemens may have 1 or 2 but nothing special.

Although I'm pretty sure you checked for this (or you don't have a HA mold) have you checked for moisture in the mold by blowing it out with something?

Phonak has a half dozen or so, Oticon has the Sumo (not DM), Resound Sparx can be made to behave like an analog, Siemens may have 1 or 2 but nothing special.

Another ADer made a mistake (which I failed to confirm for accuracy) because I was sharing information about the SUMO based on their post in which they talked about the SUMO DM having the ability to be programmed as an analog aid.

Oh, and it gets better. My analog doesn't work now so I have a loaner from my audiologist. I have nothing but awesome things to say about my audie (been going to him for years).

I have two aids that I need to decide between now he recommended for me. The Phonak Exelia and Unitron 360+.

overthepond - how do you like your unitron? Is there somewhere I can find reviews about it? I've seen and heard nothing but good things about Phonak but don't see anything about Unitron on this forum.

I used two Uniton hearing aids. They lasted 14 years with little problems. I can't remember, but one repair. Good luck with new aids.

If this is a BTE aid then there may be a little paper filter in the ear hook, right where the hook attaches to the aid. If that filter is clogged with say either wax or moisture, and you really can't tell by looking, then it will give the appearance that the aid is no longer working. Push that filter out of the hook and see if the aid resumes working. I have had this happen to me a couple of times, even after using dry and store, which is why when I buy new aids the filter is the first thing to go. Your audiologist can get you new filters if you wish.

Back