Well, hey there.

midnight storm

Reaction score
My name is Jacob. I am not Deaf, but I am mesmerized by American Sign Language so much that I want to learn and become fluent in it. I actually have no ties to ASL or Deaf members of society, because as far as I know, none of my family were/are Deaf.

My major in college will be Anthropology, I'm going to go for Forensic Anthropology, but a big part of my studies will be through Cultural Anthropology. And it comes easy to me, because one of the basic principals of Cultural Anthropology is that not all cultures and belief systems are the same. And that applies to the Deaf Community, as well. I knew this well before I got interested in Anthropology, which is why I consider myself to be a great candidate for this type of field.

But more importantly, I'll be able to immerse myself in ASL and Deaf Culture, knowing that things will be different, and also expecting things to be different. So hopefully I'll be able to better learn and understand everything, faster and easier.

Besides my interests in ASL and Anthropology, I like music(which I know, it kind of seems like a grave mistake to say that, but I am hearing), playing piano, reading, watching movies, hanging out with friends. I'm 19, almost 20, so I do typical things of a young adult. I'm starting college in two weeks! I'm so excited about that!

Otherwise, I'm easy to get along with, I like pretty much everyone I meet, and yeah. I hope to get a lot out of this forum, such as connections and help, to better my ASL and understandings of Deaf Culture.

It's great to be here!

haha, I know that :P but I guess my particular reason for liking it is for the words :(( I know, lame. tehehe.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Don't much like music as with my hearing aid (one for left ear), it is all noisy and not make any sense to understand music. Anyway, if you are interest in learning about us as Deaf people and Hard of Hearing people along with ASL (our primary sign language). You need to sign with the Deaf people to communicate so that they can understand what you are saying much better than lipreading. :)

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you all for being really nice :)

And I plan to sign with Deaf users of ASL, one of the many reasons why I chose to come here. In about a month I will be receiving financial aid and I'm going to be buying a laptop and web cam so I can Skype(or other methods of Webcam chatting) with a native speaker.

I am so excited to be here!

WELCOME! I am 19, Deaf--I love BONES (tv show) and my boyfriends mother is a mortician--this interest me! I used to play piano....but I had 3 teachers quit on me :giggle: anyways, welcome to ALLDEAF--enjoy!

Back