Weird concert experience with CI

Renske

Reaction score
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone recognizes the following: I went to a Bon Jovi concert, last Sunday and it was my first concert with my CI (AB Harmony, I was implanted 2,5 yrs ago). It was a great experience, because I almost immediately recognized most of the songs and the songs I didn't recognize were the songs I wasn't familiar with :P. At about 2/3 of the concert, however, I noticed a slight change in my hearing. Didn't pay much attention to it until the next day when I had a little trouble understanding my friend. He just sounded a bit different. After then I went on the streets and the traffic sounded so incredibly loud! I figured maybe some part of my CI was broken, but about one or two days later, everything had gone back to normal. The buzz in my ear had been gone as well. What a relief, I was really worried. But: wth happened? Has the music been too loud? I thought that loud music wouldn't do no harm after implantation, since there's nothing left to damage.

Regards, Renske

It's just speculation but the way a CI is implanted may have something to do with very loud sounds causing the contacts in the Cochlear to shift. This shift may have temporary caused a better contact with the nerve endings. Also I have been told that after implantation a buildup between the contacts and the nerve endings takes place over the first 1 or two years after implantation. This buildup can improve the transfer of electrical impulses. How this related to your situation I don't really know. It's best to talk with your CI doctor if you feel you are concerned.

Also, you might still have some residual hearing left after the implant. I would guess that loud noise could affect that negatively, same as it could before implantation.

I know that my CI (Med-El Opus 2) processor has a built in "decibel limiter"...not sure of the technical term for it. But essentially it will automatically compensate for extremely loud volumes by decreasing its output to prevent over stimulation of the cochlea....perhaps that is what happened with yours.

I have also noticed that if I am using a loud piece of equipment or something that when I am done, everything seems quieter for a short period of time. I am not sure if that is due to the volume limiter or just my ear compensating. The volume usually returns to normal very quickly afterwards though.

Back