Wedding reception interpreter?

Jetti

Reaction score
I am hearing and my fiancé (named Channing) is Deaf. We plan on getting married after college, which will be in a few years. The officiant we have in mind is Channing's interpreter from high school, who he is still friends with, so the wedding ceremony is covered. What do you suggest for the reception? Should we hire an interpreter or rely on friends/family that know sign? Or maybe have major speeches typed and printed out ahead of time for him to have? My fiancé will be the only Deaf person there and I want to be sure he understands every bit of information that is being stated. What do you think?

If you want Channing to understand everything that's going on then hire an interpreter. You can't depend on friends and family to do that job when they're trying to enjoy the festivities like all the other guests. It will be worth it.

Ditto what Reba says.

Friends and Family can still sign but they shouldn't feel pressured to do so- if he (and you) signs then they'll naturally sign when around him anyway. But an interpreter would be awesome. Having typed up notes for any speeches or pre-planned type speeches etc is a good idea. One of my friends did that- she gave me a copy of the entire wedding ceremony (word for word as it was lol) as she knows I am Deaf (and the only one there). Much less stress on me following along with the wedding as it was outdoors too. The other wedding I went to the same month was...not the best experience social wise between my health issue with my eyes and my deafness...

I miss that- it's been decades since I've been to a deaf wedding or at least a wedding where there was ASL.

My fiancé suggested the friends stepping in when I brought up the option of hiring an interpreter for the event. I think I'll talk with him again about it and explain why an interpreter would be the best choice for him. Thank you, everyone!

My hubby grew up having an interpreter when he was in middle school and then high school. FUNNY that his interpreter (she) who signs OK - OK. After He went to college, and haven't seen his old interpreter for about 5 years. His mom called the interpreter that we got engaged. So she surprised us at his parent's house. He is shocked to see that his old interpreter signs PRETTY good. Yes ASL !!! so SHe and I hit it off.. all of a suddent that she offered us that she wanted to interpret for us at our wedding with no costs at all. WOW. I think a close interpreter would be nice BUT hiring an interpreter is recommended if she does not know any one.

good luck!

One more way to look at this.

For your wedding, are you hiring a professional photographer, or are you depending on your friends and family to take pictures?

Are you getting a professionally baked cake or is a friend/family member baking one?

Is your reception catered or are friends/family doing the cooking and serving?

Deciding on a terp is like making all those other wedding choices.

Get interpreter I case friends get drunk

The-man-has-been-accused-of-just-flapping-his-arms-around.jpg

Yeah or they could end up like this guy ! :laugh2:

hire two interpreters and give them the wedding meals like everyone. Any of them a music interpreter??

I know this past weekend my bf and I went to a wedding where the bride's mother is deaf along with my bf. The couple initially hired an interpreter, but she got stuck in traffic so the bride's grandmother stepped in and did all the signing for the wedding, which only lasted 10 minutes at most.

I know this past weekend my bf and I went to a wedding where the bride's mother is deaf along with my bf. The couple initially hired an interpreter, but she got stuck in traffic so the bride's grandmother stepped in and did all the signing for the wedding, which only lasted 10 minutes at most.
I've interpreted weddings of 5 minutes, 1 hr., and a couple of them longer than 1 hr. plus receptions. They come in all time lengths. :giggle:

I had an interpreter at my wedding. My first wedding (yes, I've been married twice now. My anniversary was yesterday! :) ) we had 2 interpreters, one for me and ex-hubby, and one for the guests. My second wedding was far less formal, it was outdoors, we stationed the interpreter and the guests so that I could face the interpreter right behind new hubby's shoulder, and the guests could see at the same time. It worked perfect. I would not ask family to interpret - let them enjoy the day too. The interpreter stayed throughout the wedding and reception, and left after that.

I had an interpreter at my wedding. My first wedding (yes, I've been married twice now. My anniversary was yesterday! :) ) we had 2 interpreters, one for me and ex-hubby, and one for the guests. My second wedding was far less formal, it was outdoors, we stationed the interpreter and the guests so that I could face the interpreter right behind new hubby's shoulder, and the guests could see at the same time. It worked perfect. I would not ask family to interpret - let them enjoy the day too. The interpreter stayed throughout the wedding and reception, and left after that.
That is how it was done at my friend's first wedding. I remember there was an interpreter next to the preacher (she is HOH her ex deaf and at least 2 HOH people in the wedding party. A second interpreter was stationed behind us facing the audience as there were MANY deaf in attendance. If I remember both interpreters stayed for the reception too.

Two of my HOH friends did not have interpreters (I think)- well one the preacher knew sign anyway and the other it was just a quick trip to the court house with the couple and two witnesses- can't remember if anyone else was there. The DB couple had an interpreter or two as I recall. Really seems to vary on many factors- how willing the couple is to have interpreters or if they feel like they can get away without one and how big the wedding/reception is.

If someone is deaf and getting married an interpreter is a must have. When I got married I kept having to ask the minister to repeat what he was saying over and over again. :eek3:

If I ever get married, an interpreter (or two) is definitely going to be on the list!

Back