WebCapTel Mobile Phones

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I'm wondering what mobile phones any of you recommend for use with webcaptel. I know right now you need two phones to use it on the go. One with the right browser (Windows Mobile 6 web browsers) and another phone ot actually make the call.

My current mobile phone is a cheap tracfone because I don't use it very often. Just little text messages here and there. But since I found the webcaptel I can see that I can use that service much more often so I'm looking of a good phone to use it with. I'm looking of something fairly priced so if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

I'm sure someday they'll make a single phone that can do it all but for now we'll have to lug two phones around with us. :mad:

Ron Jaxon

I too am curious about this. I think someone post about this that can be use on iphone. But I am wondering if they will work on T mobile G1 Google.

Until you jailbreak it, if there isn't a way to implement it. Now days, it is possible to create anything into our little smart cell phones, eh

Why not a Blackjack II from AT&T? It supports 3G. You can talk and surf at the same time. All you need is a headset for your phone and you can look at the screen.

Why not a Blackjack II from AT&T? It supports 3G. You can talk and surf at the same time. All you need is a headset for your phone and you can look at the screen.

Because webcaptel requires a full-fledged browser that supports java/AJAX AND a 3G connection that allows simultaneous voice and data connections.

Blackjack II doesn't have that.

Only the Blackberry Bold and iPhone 3G meets the requirements.

Which Mobile Devices Work?

WebCapTel supports the following smartphones and mobile devices:

* Apple 3G iPhone
* MotorolaQ9C
* HTC Mogul
* Treo 800w

WebCapTel | Weitbrecht Communications Inc.

I never used WebCapTel before. I will try it at Opera 9.5 mobile in my Tilt.

I also read that with the iPhone 3G you can use it with just that one phone instead of having to use two phones. That's what it said in a newsletter I received. Sorry I can't find it to paste more info in here. I'll see what I can find though.

Ron Jaxon

I also read that with the iPhone 3G you can use it with just that one phone instead of having to use two phones. That's what it said in a newsletter I received. Sorry I can't find it to paste more info in here. I'll see what I can find though.

Ron Jaxon

Hi... I can confirm that only one 3g iPhone is used during a mobile Web CapTel call. You enter the number you are calling from and the number you are calling in the web page at Sprint webCapTel site. Your phone will ring. You answer then touch your safari App to bring it to the front to read the captions. Obviously you need to have a 3G signal or Wifi.
The other day i was cruising on the super slab @ 65mph with iPhone in my right hand, Bluetooth neckloop on, listening, talking and reading at the same time living dangerously.

You can use the desktop/Laptop with Dsl/Cable to get the captions when you only have Edge on any mobile phone.

mstrmac

I guess samsung delve won't work. I plan to get this week or next week. Oh well this is bummer.

Seeing Captions on Mobile Devices

CapTel users can benefit from some of the exciting new technology that has recently become available. By using a "smartphone" or mobile device that has Internet access, you can now see captions of your phone calls even when you are away from your CapTel phone.

1. To see captions of your calls, you'll need two things: A telephone to talk/listen on (it can be a cell phone, a cordless phone - or any kind of phone!)
2. A mobile device with Internet access to run WebCapTel* on (such as a "smartphone" or mobile device running Windows Mobile 6 or Apple Mobile Safari browser - see Which Mobile Devices Work?)

Using your smartphone or mobile device, go online to the WebCapTel* site of your choice. On the site, enter the phone number of the telephone you will be speaking/listening on. Then enter the phone number of the person you want to call. Next, click on "Place Call". WebCapTel sets up the call between you and the other person, then displays captions of the call on your mobile device. You talk and listen over one phone, while reading captions on the mobile device.

Which Mobile Devices Work?
WebCapTel supports the following smartphones and mobile devices:

* Apple 3G iPhone
* MotorolaQ9C
* HTC Mogul
* Treo800w

WebCapTel may also work on other devices that use Windows Mobile 6 or Apple Mobile Safari. You can also run WebCapTel on any computer with broadband Internet access

Has anyone purchased & used the Iphone 3G mobilecaptel ?? I am curious on how well it works . I went to the local Apple store today and the girl who tried to demo it for me was absolutely lost !!! I do not want to get deep into something that sucks .. any opinions ??

iphone and captel

yes, please, someone share your experience with using the iphone and the captel.
I am considering a data only plan (web browsing and texting) without any minutes for phone calls for the iphone but if this captel thing truly works, then, I might be tempted to buy an iphone. My question is: Do you need a voice plan in addition to the data plan in order to be able to do this captioned call?

yes, please, someone share your experience with using the iphone and the captel.
I am considering a data only plan (web browsing and texting) without any minutes for phone calls for the iphone but if this captel thing truly works, then, I might be tempted to buy an iphone. My question is: Do you need a voice plan in addition to the data plan in order to be able to do this captioned call?

Jay, see AT&T's TAP plan for the iPhone:

Text Accessibility Plan for iPhone - Wireless from AT&T

If you look at the actual TAP pdf file, every voice minute would cost 40 cents (not per use, which is a huge difference). You might want to consider using voice minutes only in an emergency when you have no access to a voice phone.

The TAP plan provides unlimited messaging, which by itself would cost $20 in addition to the regular data plan that costs $30. So you're really not getting much of a break on the cost if you have a iPhone GS; you're forced to pay for unlimited messaging even if you don't need it, but at least you're not paying for the voice plan if you don't need it.

If you have WiFi, you might be able to use Skype to use a low-cost Skype plan with a phone number of your own, but I don't know whether you can use Web CapTel at the same time since it would be another data application. See:

iPhone Apps ? download Skype for iPhone and iPod touch

I have blackjack ii and I can't talk and surf at the same times. How do you do it?

I am not sure if they even work on Blackberry devices, but I checked and it looks Sprint offers WebCaptel devices on the go, such as the Blackberry Tour 9630. Has anyone checked it out??

One thing I heard was that CDMA network dont allow you to talk and surf at the same time, the way it can be done on an iphone. So I am guess if it works on Sprint, that probably means one needs a second phone around to listen.

WebCapTel On the Go - Sprint Relay Store

One thing I heard was that CDMA network dont allow you to talk and surf at the same time, the way it can be done on an iphone. So I am guess if it works on Sprint, that probably means one needs a second phone around to listen.

WebCapTel On the Go - Sprint Relay Store

That's right, Hugo.

You could choose to use the Web CapTel phone just with landline or VoIP phones and use text relay when you don't have access to a voice phone. (Eventually Ultratec may provide a one-phone solution to Web CapTel.) Or if you have a laptop computer or PDA with WiFi availability, you could use that for the Web CapTel and your phone for the voice phone.

Alternatively, you could consider getting a prepaid phone to make a voice call if you see a need to make long voice calls when you're away from a landline phone (like when you're on the road). Apparently some phones let you roll minutes over if you keep the phone active.

Ron. I am a new WebCaptel user myself and the technology center I use did some research for me. I use the VCO feature. The only mobile phone they found on which you can be connected to the internet and use the telephone simultaneously is the iPhone 3G. I use the Blackberry Tour for the internet connection and a land phone for the voicing.

Take care.
Charlie

Back