Webcaptel and Skype

scifigal777

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a treo800w and noticed that you get can a skype in number for (Edit) $5 a month. I was thinking maybe I could try something like this: enter in the skype number in the webcaptel to go then the number I want to call, then using the speakers/mic to hear/talk while reading the captions on the screen.

Has anyone already tried this? If it worked it'd be a great way to have an all in one device that only uses wifi (most of the time I want to use the phone is on campus or at home where I have access to wifi.)

Last edited:
I assume as long as you have a phone number you can receive incoming calls from regular phones it should work just like any other phone.

For the$3 plan, you don't get your own number. You can call out to phones and mobiles, but it costs I think another $60 each year to have your own number.

rjconn88, that makes sense. I'm just worried that since it's an internet phone it might not work for some reason.

Bottesini, yes, I found that out later, so it's more like 5 bucks a month. (I'll fix my earlier post, thanks for pointing it out.) Still not a bad price. What I couldn't figure out though was, is the $60 just for the phone number and then I have to buy minutes on top of that, or would the $3 a month of unlimited calling plus half off the number give me that unlimited time?

With webcaptel all outgoing calls would actually be incoming calls so I don't really need to be able to call out.

I took the plunge and bought a skype in number. I tested it on my computer with speakers and a mic, and it worked. Now I have to buy a pda that'll work with webcaptel, and then skype should probably work on it too.

I took the plunge and bought a skype in number. I tested it on my computer with speakers and a mic, and it worked. Now I have to buy a pda that'll work with webcaptel, and then skype should probably work on it too.

Good. Hope it works well.

I bought a treo pro and it works!!! Basically all I need is access to wifi and a skype in number and with this phone I can have an all in one device for unlimited phone calls for about $33 a year.

I bought a treo pro and it works!!! Basically all I need is access to wifi and a skype in number and with this phone I can have an all in one device for unlimited phone calls for about $33 a year.

That's great!

Back