Webcam's Resolution and Video Quality

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I went into Circuit City's website and I saw Creative Live!® Cam Video IM.

The way I see it, there's 1 bad review and 1 review that I don't get it since a user said it costed $10--telling me "do not expect a lot for $10." But I was like "huh?" and the review isn't much helpful to me, along with $10 not being true. Plus, there's one review saying that they like it very much but it's not very descriptive (blank).

I'm very skeptical about buying webcams as I don't think higher price means it's better than a cheap webcams. Plus, this webcam is the only one with the resolution of 800x600.

So here's my question: What's the video resolution of VP-200? Is it 640x480 like other webcams? I went to Sorenson VRS website and can't find any specs for VP-200.

Last edited:
Here is a little bit about choosing a webcam from my company

How to Choose a WebCam

Number of Pixels
The number of pixels is often NOT the most important thing when choosing a webcam. Before you spend much on a webcam, consider what you will be using it for. First let me point out that many models of "digital camera" can be used as a webcam. For instance, I have a Fuji digital camera that I have used many times as a webcam. If your digital camera connects to your computer with a USB cable, or a "1394" cable to get the pictures out of it, you can probably use it as a 'webcam'. In my Fuji, there is a menu for setup. One of the choices is whether to transfer pictures (just like copying files from one folder to another on your computer) or to use it as a "pc camera". In my case, I use it as 640x480. But the big advantage it has over a 'webcam' is that the "digital camera" can operate is fairly low light and very bright light, like out in direct sunshine. And it has great focus range and zoom. When I am copying 8mm movies from film to the computer I always use my "digital camera". So if you already have access to a 'digital camera' you might want to try using it for a while until you decide what you really want in a 'webcamera'.

Light Sensitivity
Most webcameras can not be used outside in the day because the sun is too bright for them. Also, they can not be used in the evening, or even inside unless you have lots of lights on. They do not have an iris so there is not much you can do about this except turn on more lights. Or when outside, hope for lots of clouds and a big shade tree.

Power for the camera
Almost all webcams get their power from your computer over the USB cable. (Using my Fuji digital camera it goes through a set of 4 AA alkaline battery in about 2 hours.)

Focus
For general use on the internet, live conversations or video email, you probably will never need to adjust the focus. Most webcameras have permenant fixed focus. If you want to show close ups (like I show circuitboards and test fixtures) then I need manual focus.

Speed
One difference in the very very cheap webcameras and 'more expensive' ones (like $35 or more) is that the cheapest ones can only do 15 pictures per second. That is usually enough for "video instant messaging" or casual conversation between hearing people. But with sign language, you probably will see a big difference in getting a webcam that can do 30 frames per second (if your video email or your 'video instant messaging' service can go that fast). If you are stuck with dial-up internet access right now, then the faster camera will probably not make any difference.

Stand / support
Where and how do you want to use your camera ? For business trips I use a Logitech "notebook" camera. It clips onto the LCD display of my laptop. However, at home in my laboratory, I use a regulary "ball shaped" webcam that can sit on top of the CRT monitor. But I usually have that camera clipped into a flexible microphone stand on my desk. (It is called a 'gooseneck stand' and it is a little over a foot high.) I can aim the camera anywhere. It is great to aim the camera straight down onto my workbench to show what I am doing.

Ruggedness
If you webcamera is going to be on top of your CRT monitor or in a stand on your desk all the time than this is not a factor. But if you want to toss it in a bag to bring with you to a friends house or on business trips you want to keep in mind that lenses can get scratched very easily. For occasional trips, just wrap it in a soft rag. The logitech "notebook" camera comes with a small padded bag. The ball-shaped cameras have the lens recessed 1/2 an inch or so so that the lens is sort of protected.

Indicator Light
Almost every webcam I have seen has a light on it to show when it is active. This is very helpful to let you know that the computer software is working (at least partially). Also, it is nice that the light reminds you that you have left your computer running and who-knows-who might be watching you change clothes.

I have the isight webcam for this Mac, it's really nice webcam. :)

OK. Forgot to mention I don't have a Mac, so can't use iSight...

Thanks hulsw for the explaination. Seems to me that quality matters over resolution yet frame rate is very important to me, so I'd go with 640x480 webcams like Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000.

get webcam from China for 5 bucks plus $5 for shipping at eBay. I have no plm with it. It's almost similar as Logitech, it work great, smooth.

Webcam's sensor difference

Hey everyone!,

Something you need to know about webcam's quality. I have two different webcams. One is VEO (UFO body w/ Blue light) and other is Logitech Fusion. VEO sux!! while Logitech thumbs up. When you shop, keep your eye on what "sensor type" it have. PLEASE AVOID ALL "CMOS" sensor!!!! Those are cheap quality sensor that cannot see dim light well. Very much like Sorenson's VP100. Camera's eye are blind that you must have 300 watt or 500 watt (perhap Hilide or Soduim lamp) halogen lamp to fill the room enough brightness for it to see you. Also CMOS depends on CPU processor speed and video tend to get choppy if change light or pix size.:rifle:

Get the one with "CCD" sensor or RGB sensors. they are categoried as a high quality expensive webcams. It have it's own processor built into it allow CPU's processor to run on it's own speed without webcam's dependence. This will make video smooth and slick.

For example, Logitech 4000 or 5000 pro or Fusion, Orbit, Ultra Vision have CCD or High Quality RGB eye. It can see dim light well (one 60 watt bulb would be enuf for it to see). There are time this cam can't see really dim light so simply go to it's setting and use "Gain" under advanced setting where "Exposure" located. Uncheck "Auto" and manually move slider on Gain. It'll brighten up background and face better without affecting video speed. That especially if you are outside on a wireless laptop chatting ur friend on dusk or dark evening with ropelights or patio lights on.:ty:

If you happen to have Logitech Quickcam 5000 Pro or Fusion, Ultra Vision, Orbit.... be aware of software version 10.0 that had issue with Netmeeting and HOVRS software that crashes the pc or laptop. Logitech tech was nice enuf to tell me to uninstall 10.0 and install 9.5.0. It works nicely with Netmeeting and HOVRS. You still can use Avitars or Face Acessories. Hope they will have software fix for next version.:fingersx:

Any cheap Logitech webcams. You'll see "CMOS" sensors. AVOID AT ALL COST!!! like Quickcam IM, Quickcam Notebook (except PRO), Quickcam Chat or any older quickcams.

As for any brands of webcam, be sure it's CCD or High Quality RGB!! It may be expensive but worth using it. You can get refurbished one for cheap. Some webcam I find in Ebay can be funny. Some with Infared LEDs circle around the webcam may be interesting but I don't know if I can trust that "High Quality CMOS". Some cams stuffed inside cute stuffed animals (they're cheap and have "CMOS" eye too.) So it's your decision and experiment to try those cam. It be nice if anyone on blogs who have different or quirky brands of cam that works or don't work and make statment of how good or bad their webcams.. So that anyone looking for good webcam can pick good one.

I bought Logitech Fusion webcam from Ebay cheap. It's refurbish unit so who cares. It looked new and works nicely tho. It came with accessories like CDrom and headset (I dont need it!)

I have several videochat softwares. I was not able to receive calls but able to send call to vp100 or vp200 without problem. I am looking for someone who are expert with "gateway" or "gatekeeping" ect.. :stupid:

MSN messager or M$ Live! videochat is not really good. It is choppy when use. I haven't tried AIM video chat yet.

I hope you make ur wise decision on which webcams you buy. VP200 have CCD or High Quality RGB that it can see you in dim light.
Good Luck!
Catty

I guess you'll have to go with Logitech. I've used Veo and a few other brands and they're shitty quality.

It's not the resolution, but how well it is displayed. I've seen 800x600 pixels but still look blurry. It would also depend on how well it converts the video to data for transfer.

OK so resolution is not the case but quality, so I have a question. About the Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000, which are sold for $99, it doesn't mean that this camera has a built-in CCD/RGB sensor, am I correct?

It'll take me a while to do a research, as when I went to CompUSA.com, there's no mention of CMOS, CCD, or RGB sensor. Should I expect to find webcams over $50 that have a CCD/RGB sensor and not CMOS?

M$ Lifecam

Hey! I found the information for Microsoft Lifecam VX6000. I simply google searched "Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 sensor quality". here it is!!

Specs:

Length: 2.10 inches (53.3 millimeters)
Width: 2.16 inches (55.0 millimeters)
Depth/Height: 2.92 inches (74.1 millimeters)
Weight: 3.36 ounces (95.3 grams)
Call Button Life: 10,000 actuations
Sensor: CMOS SXGA sensor technology
Motion Video: 1.3 mega pixel (1280 x 1024 pixel) video
Still Image: 5 mega pixel (2560 x 2048 pixel, interpolated) photos
Field of View: 72� diagonal field of view
3x digital zoom

FORGET IT!!! Run to different brand that have CCD or High Quality RGB!!!!

You can simply type on google search " (type brand name model of webcam) sensor quality". Read the reader's opinion or statment what webcam have. You'll have to play around wordings in google search.

Some webcam manufacturer "hide" their sensor type so that they want make $$$'s out of you. No fair for deafie tho. Go and switch to different brand that have better information on sensor.:eek:

FEW digital camera or Videocamera do have built in Webcam setting that allow it to become webcam. You might want to check your digital camera if you have it. BUT not all are compatible with Sorenson Envision or some webchat software. Cheap CMOS digital camera like I have with 4.0 pixel works fine with netmeeting but not Envision SL because it don't have RGB format. Video does show glitch every now and then.

I already have Logitech Fusion webcam and love it. It seem Logitech becoming well known for best quality selection for any VRS videochat.

Good Luck
Catty

Last edited:
Hmmm this doesn't make sense...Microsoft not using CCD/RGB sensors in higher-end webcams?

Thanks for clearing this up for me. :(

PS: I've grown fond of Microsoft (since the days of Windows 3.1) for the reason I'd like to choose products that Microsoft have to offer, so I like to choose products that intergrates well with other applications such as Windows Live Messenger. :) But oh well...

Welcome!

Hope you have good luck in shopping picking out better one. Not all expensive webcam use CCD/ High Quality RGB. They can be High Quality CMOS but I don't trust them.

Good Luck!
Catty

Back